NSV - New 5k Parkrun PB

Options
Finally beat the PB I set at the end of July by 1 whole second 5k best now 26:27. I brought the time down by changing my training runs to short fartlek sessions and longer, up to 6 mile, slower paced runs. Today felt comfortable and proved to be a bit quicker so I am a happy chappy today. I started out at 28 mins 12 weeks ago.

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! Congrats!!
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Well done!!!! Keep going and stay injury free

Not done a parkrun for over a year which I should really fix now I am back running.

That's an impressive time
  • sue284
    sue284 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well done Bob!! Are you following a specific training programme?
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have my own routine which basically rotates resistance training, circuit type training, long slow runs 9:30-10:00 min pace, and shorter quicker paced runs with faster intervals (speed up between lampposts). I class my parkrun as a quicker paced training run too. I am considering moving up to 10k and may follow one of the B210k programmes once I've nailed a 26 min parkrun.
  • uk_james
    uk_james Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Finally beat the PB I set at the end of July by 1 whole second 5k best now 26:27. I brought the time down by changing my training runs to short fartlek sessions and longer, up to 6 mile, slower paced runs. Today felt comfortable and proved to be a bit quicker so I am a happy chappy today. I started out at 28 mins 12 weeks ago.

Well done, aiming to get a new PB soon, just shaving off a second at a time would be great. Love Parkrun. Can't wait to get my 50 Club shirt - just another 41 more runs to go!

For people that don't know about it, they are a community run that takes place every Saturday morning at 9am - free timed 5k run. Details at: http://www.parkrun.com/

Happens all over the world, join the Parkrun community!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Well done!!
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can only dream of doing times like! Well jel :)

I've done 5 ParkRuns, PB so far is 43:33 which was on my very first run. I'm usually nearly always last but I don't care - I just console myself with the thought that I do the same course just with 30 more kilos than anyone else :laugh:

Editing to add: love ParkRun, long may they prosper!
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Good work Bob!

Your training approach reminds me of the FIRST training program that a triathlete friend of mine uses:
    http://www2.furman.edu/sites/first/Pages/default.aspx

He only runs 3 times a week. One interval workout, one long slow and one race pace. FIRST has 10k, HM and Marathon plans built on the 3 key workouts a week method.