Cheat day- Does it work for you?

Options
I know a lot of people that "diet" give themselves 1 "cheat day" a week to eat what ever they want. However i have found that allowing my self a cheat day is basically like giving myself carte blanche to stuff my face (if i could make a cartoon of me on cheat day i would look like cookie monster!) and I have a hard time reeling myself back in. So i have decided that my cheats will be limited to actual events, parties , holidays that type of thing.
Do you have a cheat day? and how do you handle it?

Replies

• MellieCc
    MellieCc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Personally I do not have a problem with my cheat with is generally Sundays.
    I will allow myself to eat something and indulge a little always keeping in mind the calories and fat contents.
    It is not a carte blanche stuff my face day for me... I also do not workout on this day.
    I don't know why it is more difficult or easier for some people.
    Just like I quit smoking 4 months ago and it super easy so I wonder why it is more difficult for some and easier for others.
  • sealevels
    sealevels Posts: 123
    Options
    Meal, not day. Not for me, at least.

I also don't call it a cheat. It's a maintenance meal for me. I usually am really flexible with it... Got invited to a girls night on Friday? Cool, done. Want Chinese on a Sunday after a long bike ride? Done.

It works for me and keeps me sane. Most of the week I eat very well with a few treats thrown in. I have ice cream almost every night. ;)
  • debbash68
    debbash68 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I've been allowing myself this too and I'm a Cookie Monster too, it isn't really helping me as weight loss slowed down a lot, so I need to reevaluate!
  • MLR930
    MLR930 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I can't do it, cheat days lead to cheat weeks...
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I find the concept as ridiculous as the word diet....meaning that the definition of diet should be something other than the type of foods you eat in general (vegetarian, pescetarian, etc), as opposed to a short term, restricted calorie plan.

Every day is a day to choose sensnibly what I want to eat, which will include some typically 'non nutritious'', but enjoyable food items. Somedays this will include sweets. Somedays this will include fried foods. Etc. But designating one day to stuff my face with everything under the sun seems ludicrous to me.
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    I don't have a planned cheat system. But I do fall off the wagon about once every two weeks.
  • deemariec
    Options
    A cheat day really throws me off and I find it so hard to get back on track the next day. Now I just have a cheat day if, for example, a special occasion is coming up I'll work towards that as a day to have a few treats.
  • ehorn625
    ehorn625 Posts: 144
    Options
    I don't have a planned cheat system. But I do fall off the wagon about once every two weeks.

This^^ and its hard too cause I really have to be careful that I don't go nuts!
  • sandifield
    sandifield Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have never done a cheat day... however if I feel like something special on any given day I have it, and chart it.. I am not sure If I would loose control or not.. might have to give it some thought... :flowerforyou:
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I don't really schedule a cheat day/meal. I just make good choices 90% of the time so that when someone asks to go out for a meal or drinks I can join in and not feel bad about it.
  • peachy1717
    peachy1717 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'd love to have a cheat day, but like others had said, I find it turns into cheat week! I might have one meal a week that's higher in fat and calories and then I get right back to the gym and healthy eating.
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I usually have one meal a week that I don't worry too much about. I definitely am 'in the red' here on MFP, but I'm usually under for the week, so it's not really a 'cheat.' I usually do it Saturday for lunch, since my official weigh in time is Saturday morning. It would be the time I'd choose the pizza or cheeseburger and fries over something healthier. Less about the calories, and more about the type of food.

That said, this week I was traveling for work and made too many bad decisions. Too much food, too many bad* foods like fried chicken and cookies, too much alcohol, not enough water, not enough exercise. I'm averaging more than my weekly calories. So Saturday isn't my cheat day, it's my 'get back in the game' day this week. It's all about finding the right balance for you.

* Yes, I'm aware that many of you subscribe to the IIFYM plan, and will scoff at my 'bad' food comments. This is about more than weight loss for me. I have a family history of heart disease, heart attack, stroke and high cholesterol. So FOR ME, I choose not to eat those types of foods on a regular basis.
  • mariahk35
    Options
    I don't have cheat days but there are days where I am out with friends and I eat stuff I shouldn't but it's not very often. I don't log my meals those days but I do try control the portion sizes.. I realise I may go over some on those days but its still way better then the way I used to eat. Also when I am out with friends I really don't want to ruin a good time over thinking my food choices.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I call mine a No log day
    I just eat without counting cals, by now i know whats ok and whats not
    I probably eat less than regular but higher carb food.
    It should be 1 cheat meal and move on
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Every Friday.

4,000+ calories consumed in a single day.

Over 71 lbs lost. 14 more to go.

Works fine for me. :D
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    As long as my wife never finds out. #AmIrite
  • shaggydaddy
    Options
    Having a "cheat day" is accepting that you are being realistic with your goals. No one got fat because they ate one "bad" meal a week. It was many, many bad meals over many, many years.

I know plenty of thin people who eat high calorie meals. They just don"t do it often.
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I use to have a "cheat meal" but like others, it throughs me off. Then it becomes "cheat day", "cheat weekend", "cheat week", "starting over"....
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    newp if I want something I just include it in my normal day I don't need a cheat day
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    One cheat day per week is too much. I only do cheat days when I reach plateau.