Bike Lanes Are Dangerous!!!!

Options
I have been an avid bike rider for 50+ years. I travel the country for my job and usually use a bike to commute from my hotel to the job site in most of the major cities in the US. Some cities are more bike friendly then others. Especially on the West Coast where I encounter more bike parking, special Green Zones and bike first traffic control at intersections and my greatest fear the dreaded bike lane. I do understand the concept in the heart of big cities to separate bikes and pedestrians on crowded sidewalks but on side streets and feeder roads bike lanes = stupidity..
I got ticketed in Phoenix for riding a bike on a rarely used sidewalk in a industrial park. I tried to explain that I believed it was more dangerous and a risk to my personal safety riding a bike in a bike lane with distracted drivers whizzing by a few inches away at hiway speeds then it was to ride 10ft off the road with a curb and a green area. I don't have any proof but I gotta believe that more bikers get nailed in the bike lanes the on the sidewalk. It just kills me when I see a biker/cyclist riding on the side of the road where there is no bike lane cars slowing to go around and basically being a traffic hazard when there is a perfectly good sidewalk and reletive safety a few feet to the right. Death wish riders I guess. but you won't catch me in that position. I am smarter then that, value my life and I have been hit by a car and it hurts.
So that is what "Grinds my Gears" ........ I just don't understand why this is a good idea? What do you think?

Replies

• Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Not only are they dangerous to the biker, but also to the pedestrians. Take the recent tragedy in new york where a cab driver swerved to avoid a biker and hit a pedestrian instead...severing her leg.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    From another perspective, as a pedestrian who had her dog run over by a cyclist that also thought it was a good idea to ride in a pedestrian only zone, I would have to disagree.

I undertstand the principle of what you're saying, but rules is rules, and bikes belong on the road, people belong on the paths (I also as a cyclist and driver have a similar dislike for pedestrians who think it's fine to cross the middle of the road rather than walking an extra 20 yards to the designated crossing)

Or maybe I'm just having a grumpy day :wink:
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    And more confusion is added by the lack of standard laws. In some places, bikes are considered vehicles and are not allowed to ride on sidewalks, while in others sidewalks are perfectly OK for bikes.
  • dubster
    dubster Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Never rode in London, I guess you would have to ride from the other side of the bike eh.... but I have ridden in China, they have barriers that separate cars from bikes, millions of bikes. :bigsmile:
  • farniente8
    farniente8 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't think bike lanes are dangerous, I think drivers are! Although it doesn't really make sense in Phoenix- where there is almost no pedestrian traffic, in cities like San Francisco the idea is to protect pedestrians. Every so often there are stories about pedestrians being hit by people on bikes and dying from the impact. Again, why Phoenix has that rule I have no idea- with flat roads and no one walking I'm with you on the sidewalk!

I now live in Tucson which is supposed to be a very "bike friendly" city, but I don't really agree with that. We may have bikes paths, but the city is not really set up for someone to be able to commute easily on a bike. More cities should support better and safer bike options, perhaps a bike lane with some type of barrier between the road and the bike lane?
  • dubster
    Options
    Awww ... Sorry about your dog, I love dogs.. got three of them. You have some good points. No happy medium I guess. Everybody proceed with cation.. Have a non gruppy day:flowerforyou:
  • JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bikes belong in neither place really. The bike lanes would be so much nicer if they were just bigger, especially if they were big enough for people to ride side-by-side and not be run over by cars.

Then again, sometimes I see cyclists literally ridding on top of the white line that delineates the bike lane and road. I think they are trying to get run over; I have to switch lanes to avoid hitting them and they might as well be in the lane itself.

I agree that bike lanes are dangerous and I'm not even a cyclist. Pretty much life though; many places don't have sidewalks for walkers either. The world I know is a car and truck kind of place.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    have a look at the "facility of the month" page on here... http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Never rode in London, I guess you would have to ride from the other side of the bike eh.... but I have ridden in China, they have barriers that separate cars from bikes, millions of bikes. :bigsmile:

Don't ride in India... it's basically a free-for-all (cars, trucks, bikes, cows, horses, motorcycles, dogs, etc.) and the lane markers seem to simply be suggestions - the main rules are 1. if you can fit into a space, go for it, and 2. whoever is in an empty space first, gets it.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Not only are they dangerous to the biker, but also to the pedestrians. Take the recent tragedy in new york where a cab driver swerved to avoid a biker and hit a pedestrian instead...severing her leg.

The cab driver was crazy and chasing someone. His license should have been suspended months ago for running red lights and speeding.

Bike lanes have cut down accidents in NYC. People ignoring traffic signs and lights is more often the cause. That goes for cars, bicycles and pedestrians.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of bike lanes. I do, however, live in Dallas, where streets and sidewalks are typically quite large, and there is plenty of room for bike lanes.
    In for opinions.
  • dubster
    Options
    EURIKA!!! you have nailed it .... if we could just get the drivers off the road.... problem solved. You are right, although I have seen some equally stupid bikers. San Fran and Denver are the best bike friendly cities from what I have seen across the country.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I'm also not a fan of having the bike lane right on the curb. Too often when I'm riding in a bike lane I have to go into a car lane to avoid broken glass, rocks, or other debris that has been swept off to the curb.
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Then again, sometimes I see cyclists literally ridding on top of the white line that delineates the bike lane and road. I think they are trying to get run over; I have to switch lanes to avoid hitting them and they might as well be in the lane itself.

One hazard cyclist face, and one which non-cyclists aren't usually aware of, is dooring. Bike lanes are often placed between driving lanes and parking lanes. A person coming out of a parked car often does not look to see if there's a cyclist coming before swinging their door open into the bike lane. Imagine riding at high speed and out of no where a door swings open right in front of you. You may hit the door head on, or you may take evasive action and swerve to avoid the door, thus putting you right into car traffic where you may be struck. Anyway, so many bike lanes are placed directly in the door zone that they are more dangerous than riding in traffic. If you see a cyclist riding the white line between the bike lane and the driving lane, it's possible they are trying to avoid the door zone.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Have you seen this? It's pretty funny ...

http://youtu.be/bzE-IMaegzQ
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Bikes belong in neither place really. The bike lanes would be so much nicer if they were just bigger, especially if they were big enough for people to ride side-by-side and not be run over by cars.

I agree that bike lanes are dangerous and I'm not even a cyclist. Pretty much life though; many places don't have sidewalks for walkers either. The world I know is a car and truck kind of place.

PEI, Canada (Prince Edward Island) has some of the NICEST bike lanes in the world and they stretch across the entire province. They are very wide with a white line down the middle for passing or riding side by side. Plus it's just about the nicest province to drive through, beautiful sand dunes and ocean along almost the entirety. They aren't seperated by fences but by a pretty wide strip of grass. There are also wooden boardwalk paths along the water if you don't want to ride on the pavement. I recommend the place to anyone who loves to travel and bike! Not to mention PEI has some of the worlds best beaches and food.

Then again, a woman riding her bike on one of those very bike lanes was killed just last summer by a drunk driver. But I guess that can always happen. And that is the only time.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I'd rather risk injury riding in a designated bike lane than run over some poor pedestrian because I'm riding illegally on a sidewalk. Part of being a road cyclist is having the balls to ride properly and legally on the road. Every time I get on my bike, I know I run the risk of getting hit by a car. It's the price I pay to do what I love to do.

Cyclists legally have the right to ride on the road. If that means riding to the left of the line than so be it. I'm not going to risk my life hugging the shoulder and running off into a ditch just so that I don't inconvenience an angry driver for 2 seconds because they have to go around me. I have a right to be there just like they do.
  • Rogus1
    Rogus1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Riding on the sidewalk makes you harder to see by someone making a right turn. It's bad enough drivers too often cut you off on right turns when riding legally on the street whether there's a bike lane or not, but when they don't see you further over illegally riding a sidewalk, I can see it happening a lot more often or even running you over. Here bike riders are legally allowed to take the lane when necessary for safety which includes avoiding debris in the bike lane.