My acid reflux is back :(

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
Ugh. I had horrible reflux, started changing what I eat to lose weight, and it disappeared for 7 months... but it's been back for 3 days now. Not as bad, but still annoying enough... I took Prilosec again this morning, hoping it will help (will do the 14 days thing), but I'm pretty upset about this.

Does anyone else have this issue? You can look at my diary, it's not like I eat a lot of fat...

Replies

• lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have that problem. Mine is so bad is that the acid rises into my throat at night and chokes me. I take prilosec daily (used to take it twice a day, but insurance won't cover that anymore) but I still have the issue. Usually a drop of milk before bedtime will help it at night - at least that helps me.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I have that problem. Mine is so bad is that the acid rises into my throat at night and chokes me. I take prilosec daily (used to take it twice a day, but insurance won't cover that anymore) but I still have the issue. Usually a drop of milk before bedtime will help it at night - at least that helps me.

It's what used to happen to me until I changed my diet. I really thought I was done with it. So annoyed. At least it's not to that point, just some discomfort during the day...
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, I get worse heartburn when I eat to many carbs later in the day. Maybe look at you diary and see if your see a trend over the last few days that wasn't there before? Sorry I'm not much help. :)
  • Francl27
    Options
    Been eating the same things pretty much.
  • annasparkles
    Options
    Reflux is horrible, I have it often but it has improved since I lost some weight. I find that if I cut out all caffeine and nicotine and have a yogurt that helps alot. Yogurt or milk neutralises the stomach acid.
  • Francl27
    Options
    That's the thing, I don't drink coffee. And I have yogurt all the time, lol. I understand why I had it before, considering what I ate, but now... I don't get it!
  • jebo1982
    jebo1982 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    my acid reflux hits when i am eating horribly. also, regular coke and alcohol (and sometimes pizza) can make it happen. if i need quick relief, ill drink bakind soda in a glass of water. it tastes horrible but it works well for me (better than the pills)
  • DEB6BERREY
    DEB6BERREY Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    FrancI27...I also have GERD and your history is similar to mine. Another trigger is stress.
    So while I might be able to have a "treat" on occasion, if I am under stress, it will trigger a flare up. Just last week I had 1/2 a pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream and woke up with a rapid heart rate and upset stomach. I wasn't even sure it was my GERD until the next day when I had the familiar sore throat.
  • slowbutsure2
    Options
    I had this problem. What worked for me was not eating late at night, drinking water with alkalising salts in, and avoiding flour.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I found when I drink too much water with/after dinner mine flares up. I try to drink most of my water early in the day.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    DEB6BERREY wrote: »
    FrancI27...I also have GERD and your history is similar to mine. Another trigger is stress.
    So while I might be able to have a "treat" on occasion, if I am under stress, it will trigger a flare up. Just last week I had 1/2 a pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream and woke up with a rapid heart rate and upset stomach. I wasn't even sure it was my GERD until the next day when I had the familiar sore throat.

I agree that stress is probably your trigger if you haven't been eating anything different. I've been dealing with horrible gastritis for fifteen years, at every weight and with everything i eat. I was just prescribed prilosec again after another endoscopy, and I'm looking into more specific acid reducing ideas. Yoga is also on the table. The restorative kind. I'm staying far away from dairy. It never makes me feel good, no matter how tasty it is.
  • Francl27
    Options
    For the record... this thread is 2 year old. I haven't had any issue with acid reflux since.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    How do people even find threads this old? Congrats on your long respite & may it continue forever :)