Another dumb question

Options
ChrisM8971
ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Sorry in advance as this may be a fairly silly question but I am a little uncertain on where to take body measurements.

Neck - I tend to do this across the adams apple

Chest - I measure round shoulder blades and across the largest part of my moobs (hoping to lose these lol)

Waist - This is the one that I am most unsure of. I seem to have quite a high stomach and tend to wear my trousers below this. Do I measure this or higher around my belly button?

Hips - fairly confident that this is around my hips and across the largest part of the bottom

Or does it not really matter as long as I measure in the same area each time?

Replies

• FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Here's a chart to show you where to measuer:

http://shutr.bz/15jLHK0
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Neck, where your shirt collar sits
    Chest under the arm pits
    Waist, at the top of your hip bones ( iliac rest) usually area if belly button
    Hips, sounds like this was about right
  • FutureMrsSacco
    Options
    I ran a quick google search so I might be incorrect but this is what I found. You are doing the neck correctly, the chest you do not include your shoulders, just measure around the largest part of your chest, Waist should be about 1 inch above your navel, and Hips you are doing correctly as long as you are keeping your feet together. Hope this helps! I can call my mother if you would like me to check on that (she's a RN so she has to do this for some patients sometimes)

:happy:
  • ChrisM8971
    Options
    Thanks all, I think I can get the tape in the right areas now, possibly with a little help lol.

I have deleted all my old measurements and will re-do them when I weigh in tomorrow then just make sure I try to get the tape in the same place each time after.

Also will stop kidding myself that just because my trousers sit below my stomach my waist measurement isn't really ** inches :-D
  • cassienoe
    cassienoe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    For your waist bend side to side and where you bend at, that's where you measure.
  • ChrisM8971
    Options
    For your waist bend side to side and where you bend at, that's where you measure.

Definitely above where my trousers sit then :ohwell:
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter where I measure my waist lol, its the same from boobs down to hips. Its like a fortress in the middle, the last of my body fat has retreated into the sanctuary of my middle region, but I'll get it, one of these days I will get it!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Sorry in advance as this may be a fairly silly question but I am a little uncertain on where to take body measurements.

Neck - I tend to do this across the adams apple

Chest - I measure round shoulder blades and across the largest part of my moobs (hoping to lose these lol)

Waist - This is the one that I am most unsure of. I seem to have quite a high stomach and tend to wear my trousers below this. Do I measure this or higher around my belly button?

Hips - fairly confident that this is around my hips and across the largest part of the bottom

Or does it not really matter as long as I measure in the same area each time?

As you mentioned, it really doesn't matter as long as you are consistent so that you can compare month-to-month measurements and such. As a result, I will usually measure across a landmark (nipples for chest, bellybutton for waist). If there's no landmark (like thighs, hips), then I just measure across the fattest part and record that.
  • ChrisM8971
    Options
    [/quote]

As you mentioned, it really doesn't matter as long as you are consistent so that you can compare month-to-month measurements and such. As a result, I will usually measure across a landmark (nipples for chest, bellybutton for waist). If there's no landmark (like thighs, hips), then I just measure across the fattest part and record that.
    [/quote]

This sounds sensible, gives me target spots for the tape rather than hoping it is in the same place each time
This discussion has been closed.