Eating on the bike

Options
Hi to all the fellow MFPers. I apologize if this has been covered in another topic, but I'm curious. I'm just getting started on a serious weight loss goal and have dusted off the old bike and am trying to hit the pavement at least 3 times per week. I'm curently doing rides in the 10 mile range while pushing myself to keep my heart rate up and burn those needed calories. In the near future I'm planning on extending my distances to 20 miles and more and wondered about the need for nutrition during the longer rides. I know it's common practise for cyclists to eat during their rides to avoid the dreaded "bonk", but I was wondiring how that applied to those of us on a calorie restricted diet and trying to lose weight. So my questions are:

1. Do you eat while riding?
2. Do you drink high calorie "sports" drinks while riding (gatorade, etc.)?
3. How long are your rides on average?
4. What are you eating while riding (gels, protien bars, etc.)?
5. Do you finish your rides with a total calorie deficit or do you eat it all back on the ride?

http://connect.garmin.com/profile/cbattles1
http://app.strava.com/athletes/2800490

Replies

• love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm not an authority but I have been riding for years, and typically ride a little over 20 miles every time I go out, averaging 3 times a week right now. That, for me, is about 1 hour and 20 minutes give or take. I don't feel the need to eat while I am out, but usually eat right after I shower. I just drink water while riding, but sometimes will have some gatorade when I get home. I think it will depend on you, and if you are just starting after a long time, don't give up! You will probably think it is too much at first, but it won't take you long to get better. Hope you do well! I also eat back the calories!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    I agree that it will depend on how you feel. Anything less than two hours ought to be easy without anything eaten.

You should be eating more than your base amount when exercising. This website is designed differently than almost every other calorie calculator.

You have a Goal calorie amount, and you'll lose weight at that number without exercise.

When you exercise, you enter that into the Exercise tab. You'll be given more calories to eat. That is the way this calculator is designed to be used.
  • cbattles516
    cbattles516 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    @love2cycle You are certainly right, it does get easier. I just finished an 18 mile ride in 1:20 at a fairly lesurely pace. That's a personal best for me in distance and it's only my 5th ride. After being a slug for so long, it's amazing how quickly your cardio stamina comes back up. While riding I didn't feel the need to eat, but a question is, do you ever feel the need? I assume it's like water intake. If you feel thirsty, you haven't been drinking enough....

@cmriverside I usually always eat my exercise calories back (and if you look at an average for the week I pretty much hit my calorie goal, day-to-day is different). The question was not whether you eat them back after riding, but whether you end your ride at neutral calories if you are eating during the ride.

After looking around the web I found a nice article by Chris Carmichael on the subject of eating while riding. I may at least start carying a single bottle of a sports drink with me as I try and increase my time in the saddle towards 2 hours.

http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/nutrition-weight-loss/eat-light-your-bike