My Big Fat Revenge

Options
adioschubs
adioschubs Posts: 384 Member
I just saw a commercial for this tv show premiering soon. Here's the press release, featured in the article posted below.

"After being discounted, humiliated, and rejected because of their weight, these women are ready to take control of their lives, put their painful pasts behind them, and finally stand up to the people who inflicted the hurt. From the girl whose boyfriend proposed with a ring two sizes too small to the girl who was tormented about her size by her childhood dance instructor, these women will get the ultimate chance to get healthy, change their lives for the better, and teach their former offenders the lesson of a lifetime. With an eye for an eye approach, these ex-boyfriends, former classmates and even family members will get a taste of their own medicine as they’re set up on blind dates, auditions, and nightmare jobs to experience what they put their offenders through."

http://jezebel.com/my-big-fat-revenge-might-just-be-the-worst-show-in-e-1112078311

What do you think of this show's premise? I agree with the article's main point but I also realize that it is harder to confront your bullies when you are insecure about what you were bullied for. Does that make sense?

Replies

• michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    i would love to see this show but than again i was a fan of bully beat down
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    The boyfriend who proposed with a ring that was too small? Because no man has EVER gotten anything wrong like that before...I'm sure there's more background to that than face value (at least I would hope). As for the rest of it, I see no problem with it, just that I don't see those getting "revenge" ever moving on and will end up holding onto that anger forever. At least with Bully Beatdown they were currently getting harassed by the bullies, this seems like it may be something that happened way in the past for some...
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I only watch investigative discovery network
  • Sweetredpoison
    Sweetredpoison Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I watched this show last night (FIOS on demand). The people on the show loose like 60lbs in 3 months and "get back" at people that have hurt them by embarrassing them in a setup situation. The two women in the first episode looked great, but their persons of revenge were not impressed. I guess the concept is kind of cool, but I can tell the show isn't going to last.
  • pistolcrystal
    Options
    Sounds pretty silly to me. I think we all dream of getting revenge on the people who hurt us as a way to protect ourselves, which really just furthers a general feeling of negativity and helplessness through allowing yourself to be a "victim".. Basing a TV show on this just capitulates on the negative emotions that keep us feeling like crap about ourselves. Move the f**k on and stop letting your past bring you down. And revenge really shouldn't be a motivation for losing weight... it just means that you haven't let go of the past, which means that you are still acting out of the same psychology that put you where you were in the first place.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite getting how it's "revenge" when you make the changes to yourself that the bullies told you that you needed to make.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I watched this show last night (FIOS on demand). The people on the show loose like 60lbs in 3 months and "get back" at people that have hurt them by embarrassing them in a setup situation. The two women in the first episode looked great, but their persons of revenge were not impressed. I guess the concept is kind of cool, but I can tell the show isn't going to last.

And because of their extreme rate of loss, will end up losing lots of muscle and having flabby/loose skin. Not to mention I give it another 3-5 months before they gain it all back...if not more.

I think these shows encourage unrealistic goals, expectations, and long-term failure. Getting fit shouldn't just be a physical thing, but a mental thing as well.

I don't see how pushing to drastic measures like this is healthy mentally...not to mention the whole concept of "getting back at people who might not really have meant to hurt you"...then again if they did, how does setting yourself up to cultivate an unhealthy relationship with food and encouraging being vindictive really help you be better than them? Shouldn't you just do things for yourself and learn not to rely so much on how other's view you....or/and not get so butthurt at everything (i.e getting upset because your SO got your ring size wrong).
  • adioschubs
    Options

And because of their extreme rate of loss, will end up losing lots of muscle and having flabby/loose skin. Not to mention I give it another 3-5 months before they gain it all back...if not more.

I think these shows encourage unrealistic goals, expectations, and long-term failure. Getting fit shouldn't just be a physical thing, but a mental thing as well.

I don't see how pushing to drastic measures like this is healthy mentally...not to mention the whole concept of "getting back at people who might not really have meant to hurt you"...then again if they did, how does setting yourself up to cultivate an unhealthy relationship with food and encouraging being vindictive really help you be better than them? Shouldn't you just do things for yourself and learn not to rely so much on how other's view you....or/and not get so butthurt at everything (i.e getting upset because your SO got your ring size wrong).

I agree with this too! I think it is too extreme and negative. I watched the premiere online and it does not focus on healthy weight loss whatsoever. It shows them working out for 5 hours/day and nothing about their diet.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Sounds absurd.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    <sarcasm>

...can't wait for the episode where some poor fool who told a woman that she had "a pretty face" gets his comeuppance.

</sarcasm>
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I'm probably going to watch it, with the expectations of Maury or Springer type entertainment.

But, it does sound petty. Who cares.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I think this sounds like a horrible show.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    what would make this a great show is if the trick was really on the former fat people. they think they are getting revenge and boom they are being humiliated.

if they start to complain they'd be confronted with the fact they were attempting to humiliate someone else.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    The only time I miss having TV is during Football Season...

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite getting how it's "revenge" when you make the changes to yourself that the bullies told you that you needed to make.

You win the thread.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

You win the thread.

But setting up your bullies with fake interviews and dates to experience what you went through? Yeah, that makes you a bully.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

You win the thread.

But setting up your bullies with fake interviews and dates to experience what you went through? Yeah, that makes you a bully.

it makes them sad. if someone went through all that trouble to get back at me id just laugh at how pathetic they'd become.
  • adioschubs
    Options
    I think a lot of reality shows rely on conflict, which involves bullying. It gets viewer's attention I guess. I'd rather see a show that focuses on people losing weight over a longer period of time, instead of extreme makeover revenge edition :tongue:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Can someone who watched please explain the ring? I don't think not understanding ring sizes counts as bullying.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    Can someone who watched please explain the ring? I don't think not understanding ring sizes counts as bullying.

i didnt see it but my guess is the girl was upset because she thought her bf was trying to send her a message that she needs to lose weight and has to earn the ring.