Should I start again?

Options
shakybabe
shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
feeling a complete failure this morning :sad:

I had got down to 9st 3 from 12st 7 when I started here ..though was originally 16st in 2002 when first started with health problems..but I've regained just over a stone and weighed in at 10st 7 this morning :embarassed:

I tried to start again as new person but every name I put in was already taken so looks like I'll have to suffer the humilation of changing my existing weight so everyone knows I failed to stay at my goal ..as I'm not getting accurate advice on calories to burn if calculator is still thinking I'm 9st 3 and wanting to lose another stone.

I've tried fat burners, fat binders, appetite suppression tablets, water pills, highering my thyroxine, adding T3 to my T4..thinking fo trying to get some Armour next but not sure what country can get it without prescription to see if I'd drop a stone during my body getting used to switch between synthetic and natural thyroxine.

I'm going through peri-menopause so getting severe cravings and irregular periods. I've tried replacing meals with chocolate shakes (slim-fast) to satisfy my choc cravings without eating bars of chocolate.

I have physical disabilities and am extremely limited exercise wise and my passive trainer I was using to exercise legs and burn calories daily has broke so can't replace it until can find another couple of hundred quid!...so I'm kind of stuck looking for something else that might work.

only thing I haven't tried yet is liquid diets or extreme VLC diets which I've seen on ebay..or considered combining something like Alli with a fat burner lip 6 black and taking at same time. Previously tried Capsiplex which worked great to get first stone and half off but hasn't worked as well since.

I'm trying progesterone cream to see if it helps the menopause symptoms and reduces the constant sugar cravings too which would help me to stick to salads and veg and keep calories down.

Are there any other supplements which might help with energy levels and sugar cravings?..so cold at least stick to a diet plan and have energy to move about more? (having severe fatigue at minute but then wide awake from like 3am)

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    feeling a complete failure this morning :sad:

I tried to start again as new person but every name I put in was already taken so looks like I'll have to suffer the humilation of changing my existing weight so everyone knows I failed to stay at my goal ..as I'm not getting accurate advice on calories to burn if calculator is still thinking I'm 9st 3 and wanting to lose another stone.

I've tried fat burners, fat binders, appetite suppression tablets, water pills, highering my thyroxine, adding T3 to my T4..thinking fo trying to get some Armour next but not sure what country can get it without prescription to see if I'd drop a stone during my body getting used to switch between synthetic and natural thyroxine.

only thing I haven't tried yet is liquid diets or extreme VLC diets which I've seen on ebay..or considered combining something like Alli with a fat burner lip 6 black and taking at same time. Previously tried Capsiplex which worked great to get first stone and half off but hasn't worked as well since.

You're only a failure if you quit. Stop trying all the magic pills and potions. You're likely only jacking up your system with that nonsense.
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi there, first of all congratulations at being 10 stone anything that is fantastic, I wish I was 10 stone. Secondly I would go to your Doctor and get checked out your symptoms of being tired and cold and maybe see if he recommends a blood test or just a checkover make sure you dont have any underlying problems. Assuming youre fit and healthy throw away all the pills and potions, dig out your weighing scales and start eating less/counting calories again. Take a nice long walk now and again and you will soon be back on track
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    The sugar cravings will go away when you stop eating sweets. Once you're off refined sugar, a piece of fruit should satisfy your need for sweets. Try drinking more water and eating regular meals. Then you won't be so tempted to eat sweets. Best of luck. You're not a failure at all!
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Hi there, first of all congratulations at being 10 stone anything that is fantastic, I wish I was 10 stone. Secondly I would go to your Doctor and get checked out your symptoms of being tired and cold and maybe see if he recommends a blood test or just a checkover make sure you dont have any underlying problems. Assuming youre fit and healthy throw away all the pills and potions, dig out your weighing scales and start eating less/counting calories again. Take a nice long walk now and again and you will soon be back on track

She's in a wheelchair.

Shakybabe, I'm sure you know better than most people on this forum that doctors are still scratching their heads on how to help people with ataxia. Considering it's neurological, I'd be a little scared to get into pills since nobody knows the effect on your disorder. Have you stressed to your doctor that ataxia's effects on your metabolism prevent you from getting out of the house for more than a few hours? I don't know if adding T3 to your T4 will help since you didn't mention what your ratios are right now or whether your TCH number is high or low. The abdominal swelling is likely thyroid related, but T3 is very expensive and usually not the problem since the thyroid makes its own T3 out of T4. It may be that your T4 levels are still too low. Mine has been raised twice from a starting 25 micrograms to 100 micrograms before I finally saw a metabolic difference.

Since you're unable to walk, what about water aerobics? You could wear a life vest so you float and just hang out in the water while your limbs do what they do naturally, burn calories as they shake underwater. My local gym has a pool and if you can manage enough control over your limbs to not get frustrated, maybe you could join a water aerobics class if your local gym has a pool, too.
  • alanrev
    alanrev Posts: 8
    Options
    you haven't failed you are still 2st lighter than when you first started on here, and it';s that kind of negative thinking thta gets us here in the first place. In no way should you feel humiliated you should feel proud because of what you achieved in the past and also the fact they you realised you were gaining and have moved to do something about it instead of avvoiding it and letting it get out of hand. You also have the knowledge of knowing you can do it because you already have, i wish I was in that position.. Coming back here isn't a reason to feel ashamed it's a reason to feel proud. If you want t add me as a friend I would be delighted as it' would be great to have someone who has been there and done it in my support group.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Of course you should start again. : ) We all start again every day. We all have our own set of challenges, none of us is perfect, and we all have to make up our minds every day what we're going to do.

Don't beat yourself up. Your weight is better than it was when you started. You have more knowledge. You have more experience with this. You can absolutely benefit from it.

Besides - what's you other option? It's not like by your doing nothing, nothing happens. You will be back where you started or worse, the last thing you need with your health struggles.

Hang in there, hon. You can do this and you aren't alone.
  • nminden
    nminden Posts: 55 Member
    Options

She's in a wheelchair.

Shakybabe, I'm sure you know better than most people on this forum that doctors are still scratching their heads on how to help people with ataxia. Considering it's neurological, I'd be a little scared to get into pills since nobody knows the effect on your disorder. Have you stressed to your doctor that ataxia's effects on your metabolism prevent you from getting out of the house for more than a few hours? I don't know if adding T3 to your T4 will help since you didn't mention what your ratios are right now or whether your TCH number is high or low. The abdominal swelling is likely thyroid related, but T3 is very expensive and usually not the problem since the thyroid makes its own T3 out of T4. It may be that your T4 levels are still too low. Mine has been raised twice from a starting 25 micrograms to 100 micrograms before I finally saw a metabolic difference.

Since you're unable to walk, what about water aerobics? You could wear a life vest so you float and just hang out in the water while your limbs do what they do naturally, burn calories as they shake underwater. My local gym has a pool and if you can manage enough control over your limbs to not get frustrated, maybe you could join a water aerobics class if your local gym has a pool, too.

Good thinking!! While you're checking with your physician you might want to research anything you can on hydrotherapy - is it available where you are, and if you get a referral can it be financially covered where you live? Even occasional spread out sessions in hydrotherapy ( usually a lovely heated facility) will stimulate your own imagination to what your body can do, and then you can bridge to water aerobics with your own modifications. What city are you in?

I add my voice to the choir of cheer leaders for your success Shakybabe (and may I personally nickname you Resilientbabe?). Human perspective is a very fickle thing. It tends to be volatile for most of us. It's often not the most reliable resource for making an assessment. So what a great idea to reach out to others to adjust your perspective when it goes whacky. Your success, your sincerity, your courage to live well and your vulnerability to reach out for a little help brought tears to me this morning.

I don't think we ever really 'start over' in the exact place we were - whether the scale indicates that or not. We're not the same person - we learn...granted in increments. But I think we spiral up and it often feels as we go round that it's the same place or even backwards. You're a very evolved woman and an inspiration for all of us to keep learning. Thanks for writing in. And keep us posted on your steps forward.
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Of course start again! Every day is a new start... for each one of us. Yesterday's good decisions have to be made again today, and tomorrow, etc. Don't be ashamed. We all know what its like to start over again.

Please talk to your doctor about getting your T3 level correct... this was the key for me feeling somewhat human again after years of hypothyroid symptoms that did not significantly improve with levothyroxine only. It's not a magic cure... but it at least lets me feel like I have enough energy to stay awake all day! This may not be your issue... so please have your levels checked and let your doctor help you.

Diet pills don't work. If they did, we would not need to be here doing this. You have 49 friends on your list. Get committed to this and stay accountable to your friends. They are better than a diet pill!

I'm sure that, without the ability to get much exercise, this could feel like an overwhelming task. But nutrition is HUGE in our efforts to lose weight and improve our health. Many people say its 80% nutrition/ 20% exercise. So it seems to me that you are only limited in what you can control with that 20%... the rest is all up to you!

Be proud of yourself for coming back and starting over... Every day is new and you can do this!

Cute dogs, by the way!
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Hi I use progesterone cream too, and I'm finding it really helps with the highs and lows of a non-textbook menstrual cycle, I feel more stable emotionally, and this has helped me get back on track with healthy eating.
    I'm sorry you can't exercise right now, that can't be helping.

Take it a day at a time, log todays weight and take it from here. You can do this!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Hi

Thanks to everyone who answered... it should have said 'could' near end where it says 'cold'..missed the U!

I was doing well with pedals as it gave me a way to burn an extra 500-1,000cals a day, but haven't been able to use it for a week and really feeling it. I've been awake since early hours for last few nights with muscle spasms and restless legs.

My puppy in pic (Border Collie on the left) is nearly 1 years old (in 4 weeks) and nearly as big as the older one now. I can't find the thing to add a pic into the text box. I have been busy with him as my eldest has arthritis and is struggling so puppy has been learning to help me with undressing, emptying washing machine and dryer and pick things up for me on top of his basic obedience and learning to walk alongside chair/scooter outdoors...so I've not been as vigilant with the calorie counting or fitting in an hours of exercise every single day..sometimes 15 mins was all I managed on pedals.

I'm trying to find some more pedals but it may take me a few weeks but I just needed ideas to keep trying to lose or at least not gain anymore until I can get the money together for new equipment.

I wondered if switching to armour thyroxine would shake things up enough to help me drop a significant amount of weight then can try and keep it off once I've got my pedals sorted or a liquid diet for a few weeks? It would help if the cravings weren't constant, they used to be only a few days a month just before monthlies started now so I could get away with a bit of chocolate and just have really low cal salad that day or something...and mood swings are all over the place!

Hopefully the progesterone cream will help but only just started on it as last cycles has ended so no idea what to expect or how long till I saw a difference?
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi there Shakybabe, I do apologise for not realising from your post that you were in a wheelchair, Please excuse me mentioning walking, so I agree with the other posters that water therapy or upper body exercises would be the way forward. I would also mention any unwanted physical symptoms to your doctor every now and again, to see if they have any new solutions/medication tweaks for you. I would personally see what your doctor recommended before adjusting doses myself to be on the safe side, hope you dont mind me stating the obvious :( and Like I said before coming back to the forums and logging again is a positive thing to do. Best of luck on your weight loss and keep fit journey :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    I have no advice other than to keep thinking and keep working with your doctor and physical therapist until you find solutions.

The sugar cravings can be beat. Keep cutting back.

I went through menopause, don't have disabilities, and I'm up at 3AM every day too. :laugh: It isn't ideal. Early bedtime (before 9) seems to help me. I think it's just a part of aging, though.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.