I'd call this a success for me

Options
leebesstoad
leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
I'm a newly 58 year old guy who has spent 2013 getting in the best shape of his life. Thanks to MFP, the support of the incredible friends here, the amazing personal trainer I have and a lot of hard work and commitment on my part, I'm down almost 50 pounds. I've lost almost 9 inches on my waist , over 8 inches lost in the hips, and 6 inches lost in the thighs, the 3 places I store most of my fat.

Today also marks the 11 month anniversary of my total knee replacement. It was a lot tougher rehab than the hip replacements I went through 9 years ago.

But today, I think everything, all the cardio, all the weight loss, everything came together. I had to take my car to the mechanic for a state inspection. He was backed up and couldn't get to it til late today (it's still not done, some 9 hours later). Since everyone was asleep and it was a gorgeous, if slightly chilly morning, I thought I would do something I never dreamed of doing before. I would walk home. Along the main road, through my gym's parking lot and through the subdivision. So off I went. 2.0 miles and just under 36 minutes later I was at my front door. A nice walking pace of 3.3 MPH, and considering a bit was waiting for traffic and over grassy areas with no sidewalk or pavement, not bad for an old guy. No heavy breathing, I didn't even break into a mild sweat.

Even years ago, long before my knee really started acting up I never dreamed I could walk from the mechanic's to my house. today it seemed so easy and effortless. Thanks to the hard work done in the last 9 months.

And a few new pieces of titanium in my knee.

It may not seem like much to others, but for a suburban kid who never walked anywhere, who has congenital arthritis and never really pushed himself, it feels wonderful.

I realized that this was about 2/3rds of a 5k. Next up? Maybe some charity walks. Why not.

Replies

• MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    What a great success! I am sooooooo happy for you!!!:happy: :happy: :happy: :drinker:
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Fantastic success!!!
    That's brilliant :D
  • ssm_1972
    ssm_1972 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Simply awesome ! An amazing success story of an amazing person. This is all due to your planned workout, determination, hard work & patience !! Just like Abram and my few others MFP friends, you are such an inspiration for me and others !!! Thanks for sharing........let's enjoy your successful journey :drinker:
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational story! Makes me look forward to when I can do something like that. Congratulations!
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'd also call that success! Congrats to you and to your very hard work. Feels great, eh?:drinker:
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I would call that success also! Wonderful job!
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! That is a success!
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    that's fantastic! way to go!
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You should feel proud!! Great read, thank you.
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success!
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    That Sir is worth celebrating!
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Definitely a success--great job!
  • sohmui
    sohmui Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your wonderful achievement! I understand utterly what you say. I am 71 years old, with arthritis, and have spent 2013 getting into shape like you. A year ago, I was being helped on and off buses. Today, I walk everywhere, swim six times a week, eat enough fruit and veg - for the first time in my life - and am down 34 lbs. You should feel SO GOOD and proud of yourself. Keep it up, won't you?
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    fabulous!
  • becsnz1
    becsnz1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Fabulous success!!!! Thanks for sharing, always awesome to read of other success stories. :happy:
  • drakedk02
    drakedk02 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    That's amazing.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Beautiful day :-)
  • steffij100
    steffij100 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    So glad that all your hard work and determination has paid off and translated into something really meaningful for you too. Lots of successes in your story, well done, and good luck with your future walks! :drinker:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5K run last week and never thought that was possible. We can do so much more than we realise, we just have to try. Well done!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!