So let me get this straight....

Options
I am eating 1600 or less right now for the past two weeks - working out 5 days a week (walk/jog on the other 2 days), and 3 out of the 5 days I am using weights - I am doing the Chalean Extreme program. My scale has moved 1lb - really??? So, I read the road map to fitness and put in my numbers and at my activity level in on fat 2 fit (used moderate because not quite sure how much I burn during exercise) I could eat 2296 to maintain (I am assuming). If I take 20% of that it is 1831. Should I really be eating 1800 calories to lose weight? That seems like a lot... Any help would be greatly appreciated. :wink:

Replies

• maxphia32
    maxphia32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response. I do weigh and measure everything... I don't trust myself not too. :smile: I really think from the way I ate before starting two weeks ago to the way I am eating now I should have at least lost some water weight. I won't rush into anything, but if after a month I haven't lost a decent amount or haven't lost inches I am going to maybe try eating more.
  • Loasaur
    Loasaur Posts: 125
    Options
    Also, sometimes, your body shape changes but the scale doesn't move. I suggest you take up measuring yourself once a month to see a difference that the scale may not show. Good luck and don't give up!
  • maxphia32
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I am going to measure myself in a couple weeks to see where I am at. I measured when starting, so we will go from there. Not going to give up at all!!! Just feeling a little frustrated at the scale. I am doing this to become more healthy and fit, so I just want to make sure I am eating the correct amount of calories for my goals...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Two weeks?

Give it time.

When you first start exercising your body may gain weight or stay the same due to glycogen and water weight. If your calculations are correct, your calorie intake is measured, and you're being honest with yourself about exercise calories burned, then the fat will come off. Just be patient.

If nothing happens within the next 2-4 weeks, then consider that your calculations may be off somewhere. Don't be afraid to tinker, but make small adjustments, not large ones.

I also agree with measuring, but that takes longer than 2 weeks to change. Patience!
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Estimating calories can be a challenge. Even when you nail down a number it may require tinkering here and there until you get to know your body. Give me your height, weight, height, age and describe your workouts for me (intensity and how often your workout). I'll put something together for you. Not perfect but it is a starting point.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I started strength training in May and I've bounced around the same 3 pounds since then. I'm currently own a whole 1 pound from where I started.

HOWEVER.....

I dropped a size.
    I lost 4 inches off my waist.
    I lost at least 2.3% body fat.
    2 inches off my hips gone.
    Cellulite has greatly diminished.
    My butt and legs look AMAZING.
    I am SO MUCH stronger that it makes me realize that I must have been a total weakling before.

Take some before pictures. I really, really regret not taking any. Keep doing what you are doing and then in 2-3 months take another set of pics. You'll be stunned at the difference even if the scale hasn't moved at all.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, did you sit around waiting for the weight gain like you are the weight loss?

This is your life now. Two weeks is nothing. Concentrate on building healthy habits. The rest will come in time.
  • maxphia32
    Options
    Of course I didn't sit around waiting for weight gain. I am just wondering if increasing my calories is really something I should do. I really believe from the way I was eating to the way I am not there should have been a significant amount of water weight lost the first week just like every other time I have started a different way of eating. I have weighed and measured everything (mostly weigh because I believe it is the most accurate) I eat. My calories should be right on in my menu.

I just wanted peoples opinions on calories, weight lifting, and what combination would be best to lose weight. If everyone thinks sticking out the 1600 then by all means I will. There are just so many conflicting views on what I should be doing. Even the fitness coach I was working with wasn't too happy with the 1lb weight lose, but maybe the scale won't budge but my measurements will. :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I am eating 1600 or less right now for the past two weeks - working out 5 days a week (walk/jog on the other 2 days), and 3 out of the 5 days I am using weights - I am doing the Chalean Extreme program. My scale has moved 1lb - really??? So, I read the road map to fitness and put in my numbers and at my activity level in on fat 2 fit (used moderate because not quite sure how much I burn during exercise) I could eat 2296 to maintain (I am assuming). If I take 20% of that it is 1831. Should I really be eating 1800 calories to lose weight? That seems like a lot... Any help would be greatly appreciated. :wink:
    Are you referring to the In Place Of A Road Map thread here at MFP? If so - yay! Great info there, and the tools I used to set up my daily goals and macros as well. My 20% cut also came out to about 1800 cals, and after eating that way for over a year, I had the best success with dropping fat and inches.

So yes, if you entered everything correctly, and you're measuring all your food intake correctly, you're good to go. Give it a good 4-6 weeks before making any adjustments, and remember to take your measurements and progress photos along the way as well - the scale does not always show progress (I dropped inches and went down a full size with no change on the scale!).

Good luck!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Two weeks?

Give it time.

When you first start exercising your body may gain weight or stay the same due to glycogen and water weight. If your calculations are correct, your calorie intake is measured, and you're being honest with yourself about exercise calories burned, then the fat will come off. Just be patient.

If nothing happens within the next 2-4 weeks, then consider that your calculations may be off somewhere. Don't be afraid to tinker, but make small adjustments, not large ones.

I also agree with measuring, but that takes longer than 2 weeks to change. Patience!

What BeachIron said.

Honestly, the difference between 1600 and 1800 is unlikely to make much of a difference. If you're hungry, eat up to 1800 and track it. Eat between 1600 and 1800 every day if you like. It could very well be the right amount for you. I lost all my weight eating 2100 calories daily, but then I seem to burn a lot for a girl.
  • jennifert40
    jennifert40 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I hit a wall for a while. I'll lose some then stop, lose some then stop, etc. It's frustrating for me, too. But then I'll be able to run a little bit longer or do more than I had before and my clothes start to feel a little looser and then I'll try the scale and see I've lost a little more. I agree with everyone on here to give it some time. Another thing that helps me, too, is to not weight every single day. I usually weigh my self once or twice a week. When I first started, I weighed myself every day, and I was starting to obsess about every ounce. I had to just start concentrating on exercising and eating well. You're doing all the right things, and it will all come.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Two weeks?

Give it time.

Jus quoting again.

I hit the gym, went up in weight and stayed there for an entire month. I also took measurements and pics. The scale did not move, the measurements changed little, but you could see a difference in the one month pics. I lost in areas not easy to measure. You could see a difference between my waist and hips, my arms, my face, etc.

Keep going.
  • kfavulous
    kfavulous Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Don't lost faith. I am in the PUSH month with ChaLEAN and decided that I wasn't getting enough cardio in (cardio + weights = weight loss) so I added T25 to the mix.

Up your cardio... If you don't want to do T25, add in Burn Intervals every other day... and work out 6 days a week. Keep eating clean. let your body get used to what you're doing to it. Good luck =)
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Two weeks?

Give it time.

This^^

8488541.png
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    The calories in x calories out thing really doesn't work. I know. I'm bloody frustrated.
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're weighing everything. Make sure you're not over eating.

Have some patience. It's only been 2 weeks. Let the process take its course. Give it a few more weeks of solid tracking and then see what you have lost before you race of to make any adjustments. I see most days you're eating in the 1500's. Could you be eating more? Maybe. Should you be dropping calories lower, No. Just be patient and keep doing what you're doing.

This! Also one of the biggest mistakes people make is to rely too heavily on the numbers a scale says! Use clothes as a point of reference rather than a scale. Find a comfortable fitting outfit and an outfit (you currently own) that is too tight to wear. Use these as to and from points.
    Many times we gain muscle as well as loose fat during our progress. This can mean we loose size and redistribute weight but not drop weight for quite some time as our bodies become acclimated to the new diets and workouts.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Two weeks?

Give it time.

What BeachIron said.

Honestly, the difference between 1600 and 1800 is unlikely to make much of a difference. If you're hungry, eat up to 1800 and track it. Eat between 1600 and 1800 every day if you like. It could very well be the right amount for you. I lost all my weight eating 2100 calories daily, but then I seem to burn a lot for a girl.

^^yep. Give it a few more weeks to let the water/glycogen weight stabilize and then assess.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    You have quite a few high-sodium days. If you're anything like me, it can take a few days to drop the water weight from a high-sodium day, and that often equals a few extra pounds. Try keeping your sodium below 2000 mg, and add a couple extra cups of water.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    The calories in x calories out thing really doesn't work. I know. I'm bloody frustrated.

Yes it does