High Protein Foods

Options
I'm looking for some high protein foods and snacks. I'd prefer them to be low fat, but any ideas are welcome. TIA!

Replies

• scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, egg whites, greek yogurt.
    Looks like my diary.
    Chicken breast typically has around 1 gram of fat per 3oz, egg whites are basically all protein, greek yogurt varies, but you can get fat free. I prefer 2% with around 2.5g of fat per serving.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I love tinned sardines as a snack! Also cottage cheese, eggs and Greek yoghurt :)
  • scottaworley
    Options
    I forgot tuna. Very low fat, very high protein, very tasty.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options

This is by far one of the highest protein and lowest fat sources of food you can get for the $ you spend.
    Note: always buy the stuff packed in water only and look for at least 15grams of protein per 1/2 can for quality.
    If you dont like tuna like i didn't at first. Mix with light mayo, mustard, or marble cheese.
  • scottaworley
    Options

This is by far one of the highest protein and lowest fat sources of food you can get for the $ you spend.
    Note: always buy the stuff packed in water only and look for at least 15grams of protein per 1/2 can for quality.
    If you dont like tuna like i didn't at first. Mix with light mayo, mustard, or marble cheese.

Very true. If you mix 1 full can (30ish grams of protein) with 1 tbsp of Hellman's light mayo you are getting 120 calories from protein and 40 calories from fat with virtually no carbs.
  • luv2garnets
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I forgot about cottage cheese! Yum!

Tuna. *sigh* I used to love tuna. Then I ate some tuna casserole the night I came down with a stomach bug. No more tuna for me. Can't even look at a can w/o getting the heebie jeebies. :sick:

Keep the ideas coming, please!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I recently started snacking on OStrim jerkees and snacks. One jerkee has 80 calories and 14g of protein I believe.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    By yourself some casein (I get it on amazon).

You can make protein pudding or protein fluff out of that. Super tasty and as filling as cottage cheese.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Turkey. about 10% higher source per gram of protein then any other red/white meat and less fat and salt then any other too.
    then Chicken, then lean red meat and fish. not sure about the exotic stuff

Personally i also take in Whey Protein which is a dairy based powder and has about 10% more protein per gram then Protein/Soy Powders do.

Tuna is great too aslong as you drain what it's soaking in or that low fat turns into High Salt and High Fat. can't personally eat lots of Tuna tho it's too filling and doesn't seem to last long b4 being hungry again, atleast for me.
  • pajouey79
    pajouey79 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Turkey. about 10% higher source per gram of protein then any other red/white meat and less fat and salt then any other too.
    then Chicken, then lean red meat and fish. not sure about the exotic stuff

Personally i also take in Whey Protein which is a dairy based powder and has about 10% more protein per gram then Protein/Soy Powders do.

Tuna is great too aslong as you drain what it's soaking in or that low fat turns into High Salt and High Fat. can't personally eat lots of Tuna tho it's too filling and doesn't seem to last long b4 being hungry again, atleast for me.

You might want to rethink the whey protein while trying to lose weight. Whey is a bulking food IMO. For cutting, you get more benefit for the calories by eating slow digesting proteins.
  • mixedbag4444
    mixedbag4444 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian, I've found plenty of high protein foods that I enjoy :) I'm not sure about the fat content, though. Here's a list!

-Protein Bars (such as Fibre 1, Nature Valley [a bit high on calories for this one though], etc.)- YUM!
    -Plain Greek Yogurt. I prefer Liberte's 0% Plain. It has 17g of protein per serving, and only 100 calories. With strawberries or blueberries on top, DELICIOUS!
    -Lentils. A 1/2 cup of cooked lentils has 9g of protein! They're very universal, as they go well in salads, soups, stews, etc!
    -Egg whites! I ADORE having scrambled egg whites with breakfast- they're light, low calorie, and high in protein (4g per white)!
    -Chickpeas (and other beans)! A half a cup contains 10g of protein! They're also called garbanzo beans. They can be used to make homemade hummus, in salads, curries, and even in desserts! (Check this out: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/31/deep-dish-cookie-pie/)
    -Milk, of course! 1 cup has 9g of protein (for 1%). It's classic!

I hope that I helped! Good luck!
  • scottaworley
    Options

You can make protein pudding or protein fluff out of that. Super tasty and as filling as cottage cheese.

+1 for casein and +1 for fluff. For some reason I thought you were anti-protein though?
  • Dbernier1981
    Dbernier1981 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

I love tuna...I do these tuna lettuce wraps which are so yummy and easy to make
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Since I went on a plant-based diet, I lost additional 40 pounds. I am too lazy to type them, but this site lists them. And they don't have animal fat and you can have them as a great snack.
    http://gentleworld.org/10-protein-packed-plants/
  • pcastagner
    Options

+1 for casein and +1 for fluff. For some reason I thought you were anti-protein though?

Lol no, you assumed because I said we don't need as much protein as supplement companies would like us to believe, that I am anti protein. Just because something is good, does not mean more is always better. Likewise, just because I say too much of something isn't necessary does not mean I am against the thing altogether. I also don't see a problem with eating a lot of protein, particularly if you are crazy for meat like I am. When in the USA, where beef and pork are cheap, I gorge on the stuff. Be careful though, actual calories are often higher than the averages we use for tracking, due to higher fat content than predicted. But if you don't enjoy it and are spending lots of cash and will power trying to hit higher than .8-.9 g per lb of lean body mass, you are better off eating more fat and carbs. Some people can get away with less than that.

Casein in particular is just fantastic for curbing hunger. Whey on the other hand is wonderful for getting cals up without feeling full, and without making you sleepy like carbs can.
  • missa3428
    missa3428 Posts: 114
    Options
    Jerky!!! Stay away from the ones with high sugar like Teriyaki but Jerky is a good one, and peanuts as they are lower in good fat, sugar, and carbs.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I like kroger carbmaster yogurts. They are only 60 calories and 8 grams of protein and normally 10 of them for four dollars at my kroger. That is a great quick low calorie high protein snack. Also chicken breast is a great meal option.
  • FreakoMarco
    Options
    Low fat cheese, casein fluff, beef jerky (watch out for the sodium content though), tuna, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein pancake, make a protein shake with milk and place it in the freezer for awhile to get a healthy milkshake or hell, just make protein popsicles
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Chicken
    Mackereal
    Salmon
    Tuna
    Lean beef
    Jerky
    Turkey
    Lunch meat ham
    Eggs