Newbie! 27yrs old, PCOS, trying to lose 100+ lbs

Options
Hi everyone!

My name is Vanessa. Even though I've had MFP as a phone app for a while, I never really quite used it. I'm glad to see there are some awesome support groups on this site. I was diagnosed with PCOS 3 weeks ago, I suffer from all of the symptoms (hair loss, weight gain, hormone imbalance, irregular menstrual cycle, etc..) I've decided that I want to put off TTC until I lose at least 60lbs.

So far I've commited myself to low carb (under 70g per day) and clean eating (NO processed food) I am also trying to exercise at LEAST 30mins per day 5x a week.

If anyone finds themselves in a similiar situation or just wants to motivate and support each other please feel free to add me!

Replies

• missa3428
    missa3428 Posts: 114
    Options
    Vanessa WE CAN DO IT!!! I feel you on all the sings of PCOS it super sucks!! But we can kick its butt!!
  • laurenevamarkie
    Options
    Hey, I have PCOS as well. I literally just joined and looking for motivation and support as well!
    Hope we can help each other along our journey :D
  • mel_2812
    mel_2812 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too...

I lost 40 pounds (out of 70) 2 years ago...but gain 20 pounds back :(
    I have started over again 2 weeks ago and want to lose around 60 pounds...

It's hard, but we can do it!
  • marigoldof4
    marigoldof4 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sounds familiar! Lost about 33 so far and would love support to keep going strong!
  • Grace4DebraAnn
    Grace4DebraAnn Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hello Vanessa, my name is Debra I am 43 I also have PCOS and Hypothyroidism which are two wammies that everyone said would hold me back. Well I am a prime examples that it can indeed be done. On 09/13/12 I started my journey to change my life and set a hefty goal of losing 100 lbs in 1 year. I am happy to share that I am at 97 lbs. Vanessa, it can be done. Cutting back on sugars, clean eating, working out and switching over to healthier foods. For me we use whole wheat or multigrains in our home. Fresh fruits and veggies and wonderful too. Get rid of eating out and all those processed foods. I still eat most of what I always have eaten. But portion size is also imperative, I have tried "Diets" if that is what you want to call them. Was never successful.

I can't say enought about this amazing website. I firmly believe that journaling everything and anything you put into your body makes you fully accountable and you will be succesful. Feel free to friend me, I log on daily and would be more than happy to encourage and support you and hold you responsible for this lifestyle change. I am a prime example that it can be done with PCOS and an underactive thyroid. Those ARE NOT excused, my dietician shares my story with many of her patients. I also lead the Challenge for Life group at my Church do to my success.

Never give up and never look back, and remember you will have bad days were are only human. But this is one journey you can and will achieve. You go girl.

Again, feel free to friend me if you would like.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    PCOS here, too.

So, you're definitely not alone here. Many ladies around the mfp forums, that I've seen, share the special challenges of trying to lose weight with PCOS.

But, I also see those ladies losing weight and doing well. So, I know it's possible. It's a bit slow going for me, but I know it can be done.

Are you on any meds to help you with your symptoms? I was on Yasmin, and had great success with it, lost 77 pounds, but insurance stopped covering it. So, now just I'm on metforim morning/evening (controls blood sugar and helps insulin resistance) and added a morning 50 mgs of spironolactone (anti-androgen) Dec. 2012.

I am, for the first time in my life since I was like 14 or 15, having a monthly cycle without birth control pills. I think that helps me be able to lose weight, too.

I guess the biggest problem we have is the hyperinsulinemia which makes us prone to fat storage. Yes, we're the special snowflakes with fat storing super powers. ;) So, if you haven't talked to your doctor about metforim, I'd recommend advocating for yourself because you're so new to this disease status. Had I known, I would have asked for metforim to help me treat this disease right away!

The first thing your doc will probably want to do is pop you on birth control, if you're not already taking it, but the type of birth control matters because you do not want one that will increase your androgens. And, like I said, inquire about metforim.

Other than that, log what you eat, track your calories, don't worry about oops days, just move on, and exercise whenever you can. :)

Oh yeah, and you can add me. ^_^
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Hello Vanessa, my name is Debra I am 43 I also have PCOS and Hypothyroidism which are two wammies that everyone said would hold me back. Well I am a prime examples that it can indeed be done. On 09/13/12 I started my journey to change my life and set a hefty goal of losing 100 lbs in 1 year. I am happy to share that I am at 97 lbs. Vanessa, it can be done. Cutting back on sugars, clean eating, working out and switching over to healthier foods. For me we use whole wheat or multigrains in our home. Fresh fruits and veggies and wonderful too. Get rid of eating out and all those processed foods. I still eat most of what I always have eaten. But portion size is also imperative, I have tried "Diets" if that is what you want to call them. Was never successful.

I can't say enought about this amazing website. I firmly believe that journaling everything and anything you put into your body makes you fully accountable and you will be succesful. Feel free to friend me, I log on daily and would be more than happy to encourage and support you and hold you responsible for this lifestyle change. I am a prime example that it can be done with PCOS and an underactive thyroid. Those ARE NOT excused, my dietician shares my story with many of her patients. I also lead the Challenge for Life group at my Church do to my success.

Never give up and never look back, and remember you will have bad days were are only human. But this is one journey you can and will achieve. You go girl.

Again, feel free to friend me if you would like.

^Amazing!
  • OneWildAndPreciousLife
    Options
    I also have PCOS and want to lose at least 100 lbs. feel free to add me!
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    PCOS here too :) Friend me if you like! 50 lbs down, roughly 30 to go! :)
  • AbstractAsterism
    AbstractAsterism Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    PCOS, over 100 to lose here! Feel free to add me! :)
  • DasGoff
    DasGoff Posts: 55
    Options
    Hi!
    I was diagnosed with PCOS last year after years of being in and out of the doctors with dodgy periods. (because I was in my teens they kept saying it was my hormones.). Mine is linked to my severely underweight past but I am having equal difficulty losing the weight that I would like to shift, so feel free to add me, I'll probably be around for a while, and support both ways would be more than welcome!
  • TankiBabi
    TankiBabi Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hello, My name is Jessica I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 19 and I am about to turn 30 now. Two years ago I started another diet and exercise routine using this site. I lost 85 pounds in 8 months. I ate all the things I liked I did not cut out carbs. Most people fail when they go for extremes. Just watch your calories and exercise. I also was taking my Multi-vitamis, fish oils and viatex. Don"s skip these. they helped big time. Once I lost the 75 pounds I got Preggers. I have gained it all back which sucks but my life is completely different now. I am a stay at home mom and my husband has really bad eating habits. I am starting over again but its no biggy I have my daughter and she is beautiful. Add me if you would like and we can do this together. :).
  • Brittles927
    Brittles927 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was diagnosed with PCOS about a year ago and have been struggling with my weight my whole life. I joined MFP in July and have been eating pretty well since. I'm looking to lose about 70 more pounds! Would love to add people who are going through the same thing as I am!
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS also - I am about 1/3 of the way through my goal of losing around 100 lbs -feel free to add me!!
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have PCOS as well and I am just a bit younger than you are! PCOS sucks as far as losing weight! I have found somethings that work for me though. I eat very low carb (20 g or fewer per day). To some this sounds extreme but I know for me, I can't lose any other way. (been there tried that lol). But regardless of how low you can go, lowering carbs is a great first step to losing weight for us. The fat storage is promoted by insulin in the system. The less insulin, the lower the fat storage. The way to lower insulin is to lower carb consumption.

Some PCOS women can lose just by calorie cutting, personally I can't at all, in fact eating according to the health guidelines at a calorie deficit and working out 6 days a week I gained 60 lbs (not muscle). So really you have to find what works for you!

There are several groups on here that are very supportive for PCOS women! Check them out!
  • GrownWomanKima
    Options
    Hey, I also have PCOS and am new to MFP. I am looking to loose 56lbs. I am currently at the heaviest I have ever been but I will not give up or give in. Good luck on your weight loss journey also!
  • Angele_85
    Angele_85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and looking to lose 100 lbs, Feel Free to add me and good luck
  • nursehealth
    nursehealth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Vanessa! And everyone :)

I also have PCOS and I'm on a plan with my dietician to balance carbs and protein. I've only been doing it faithfully for about a week and it's tough. Timing my food and trying to take breaks for snacks is a big change. I'm also in a rigorous nursing program so I have a lot of stress and shift work with my clinicals for school so I'm a hot mess. I want to be healthy. That's my goal, I don't have a specific number in mind but I just want to feel better. I think we all need each other to keep going. I'm new to this website so I hope it works!

Good luck to all, we can do it :) feel free to friend me, I'll be here to push you if you need it.
  • Jaredguatemala
    Options
    Hi Vanessa,

I found out that I was Insulin Resistant about a year in a half ago. I am dedicated to want to get the weight off after having baby 3 almost 7 months ago. You can add me for support and we can motivate one another.
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Your plan sounds well thought out !!! I am sure you will do great :) x I am on this journey to lose about 130 lbs . I got about 50 more to go :). Lets do this!!!