Most effective so far?

Options
What is the most effective to lose weight? Calorie diet or carb diet?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Eat less, do more. Calories in/calories out. Doesn't matter what you eat or when but you have to eat less than you burn to lose.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Different people have different success rates with both. It really depends on your body.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit. Or at least it's worked quite well for me so far.
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Sleep!
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    The most effective "diet" is whatever you can sustain and maintain. While it does seem true that spikes in insulin (caused from carbs) can slow down one's metabolism and slow down weight loss, it's also absolutely true that if you can't live with your "diet" you won't lose. I prefer not to "diet" because I feel denied of foods I love, yet I continue to lose weight slowly through modest calorie restriction. Good luck!
  • Yes i can't control carbs but i can control my calorie intake
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit. You can eat 0 carbs, but too many calories, and still gain weight.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Eat less, do more. Calories in/calories out. Doesn't matter what you eat or when but you have to eat less than you burn to lose.

^ This
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options

QFT-- working pretty well for me
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit. You can eat 0 carbs, but too many calories, and still gain weight.

Er, you can't eat 0 carbs. Nor is it a good idea for a variety of reasons (dry eyes, mouth, muscle cramps, sleeplessness, lack of energy ... very common symptoms out there).

But I agree about the calories being the focus, it's entirely possible to get fat eating as close to no carbohydrate as you can if your energy balance is out.

The whole carbs = insulin spiking = fat storing hypothesis doesn't stack up in the bigger picture and fails to take into account the other metabolic pathways.

Just make it sustainable, restrict nothing if you don't have a medical condition, don't go too low, get your protein in and resistance train is probably the most effective route as far as I can make out. There ain't no short-cuts.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    http://www.technologyreview.com/news/402293/the-physics-diet/

It's calories because its physics. See the article on how a physicist lost weight.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit. It doesn't matter how, as far as weight loss goes.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    A carb diet IS a calorie diet
  • oregonduckgirlie
    Options
    For me, it's been incorporating cardio into my everyday activities. I work 20 minutes (walking) away from where I live, so now I walk to and from work. The grocery store is 10 minutes away, so now I walk. Same goes for the bank. I don't count carbs (and I mean really over), and am constantly over my daily carb limit, but that hasn't stopped me from losing weight. I just choose to eat complex carbs (100% whole wheat, spelt, fibrous fruits/vegetables, oatmeal, etc.) and not simple carbs (white bread, flour tortillas, sweets, etc.). I find myself much more satisfied afterwards. Hope this helps :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    The one you'll stick to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    The one you'll stick to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

QFT.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Calories for me.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Er, you can't eat 0 carbs. Nor is it a good idea for a variety of reasons (dry eyes, mouth, muscle cramps, sleeplessness, lack of energy ... very common symptoms out there).

Right, I'm saying that even if you cut your carbs, but still eat too much, you'll gain weight...that calories are what matters. Not recommending it, carbs are delicious.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    A carb diet IS a calorie diet

This.

People don't seem to understand that cutting carbs cuts calories which is the reason you lose weight. The difference is, at first when you cut carbs, you are losing a lot of water weight so you seem to believe that you are losing fat faster, when you are only losing scale weight faster. But once that levels out, you will be losing at the same pace as everyone else because you are eating less calories overall.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    You wanna please the scale eat less calories
    You wanna please the mirror eat less carbs