My experience with dark chocolate

Options
So apparently dark chocolate is good on a diet. High in antioxidants and gives you a healthy sweet as long as you only have a little square. I took this advice and bought a bar.

Ate the whole dang thing in under 20 minutes. A trip to the kitchen for each square. That was 12 trips to the kitchen last night.

Insanity!

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    That a problem with anything that good for you. some times we just can't stop at the one a day that makes it healty.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I've heard that eating a small sweet (like your dark chocolate square) is actually good for you. The sweet after a meal is supposed to shut down your desire to eat. I've done this for years, and it does work. However, if you are having your monthly, I don't recommend keeping chocolate anywhere near the house! lol - at least for me. Or if sweets are your "thing" I wouldn't do this either. My weakness is salty: chips, crackers, fries - etc.I don't keep these in the house because they call my name. I can do sweets and not over do them. You just have to know yourself. So if you think this might happen again, go a different route. I do have to say, your story made me chuckle a little. 12 trips - sounds like something I would do! Hang in there!
  • goldspaula
    Options
    I have taken to having one dark chocolate with my Vitim every night. It helps to treat it like the good medicine that it is for you. I also heard on the news, that one square of chocolate will decrease your chance of heart attack and stroke by up to 40%!!! Woot, not that's good medicine.
  • LLP1225
    Options
    That made my day! I am glad that I am not the only one that does stuff like that. My kids wanted cookies the other night so I got the tube of dough rather than making homemade. When I make homemade I eat half the bowl before they make it into the oven and then I always have to sample one or more of the finished product. So...I squeeze a little out of the tube and made 4 cookies. Each kid ate their two. I put them to bed and was thinking to myself what a great job I did at resisting the urge to eat the cookies. Then before I get in bed what do I do? Of course, I walk into the kitchen and sneak a bite of the dough. SINNER!
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Romping, I think they meant chocolate is good for you -- only if you give it to a woman. ;-)
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    They say 1 oz of alcohol a day is good for you too. I'm looking good through 2029.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    I buy the organic bars of 88% dark chocolate. As soon as I open it I go ahead and split the bar into 4 servings and then put them in ziplock baggies.
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    If it was a long trip to the kitchen maybe you worked the calories off making all those trips:). I can relate to this and to the eating the cookie dough. Finally had to roll mine into balls and freeze it. It's easier for me to resist in the freezer than in the fridge!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I REALLY have to be in a good place with my eating and my blood sugar to handle that. I find that you have to have your cravings under control first. It is possible, though! :smile:
  • sutehi
    sutehi Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ooh, I'm right there with you. I cannot be trusted with chocolate, AND I refuse to live without it.

I've made my guy the Guardian of the Chocolate. He hides it well (believe me, I look!), and doles a square when *he* thinks I've earned it. And you know, the scarcer the chocolate becomes, the harder it is to get, the *better* it tastes!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I love Simply Lite dark chocolate bars. I'll break off a square or two a night and eat it. I bought the bar last week and I've been nibbling on it. Quite reasonably on the calories (30 per square) and it's delicious.
  • Birdnicaj
    Options
    I LOVE IT!!!!
  • katschy
    Options
    @sutehi Hey, speaking of Boy hiding things, did you ask him about those Cherry Cokes? :D
  • shanpgh
    shanpgh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was smiling while reading this because I've done the same thing. My solution is to keep only small amounts of chocolate in the house. I keep them in the freezer in the basement, that way I really have to really want it and work to get it. Keeping chocolate in the freezer helps it to last longer because it takes longer to melt in your mouth.

*side note: There are days when I've made several trips to the basement. :blushing:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I keep a bag of semi sweet chocolate chips in the freezer. I allow myself 10 chips when I just gotta have it. I let them melt one at a time on my tongue and enjoy every moment! I found that when I know they are in the freezer I don't obsess like I do when there is no chocolate in the house.
  • sutehi
    sutehi Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    @katschy I was going to, but then I thought of how *thrilled* he's going to be one day, when I'm just dying for a Cherry Coke, and he gets to surprise me with it.

See, that's MY gift to HIM :p
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    haha my fiance brought me home a king size wonder bar last night...he said that because I was having a crappy day and I had the flu, that he thought a little bit of milk chocolate would cheer me up...I didn't want to be rude and tell him how many calories half that king size bar was, so I thanked him for being so sweet and shared it with him. Still downed 240 calories but it made me happy:) and I still came in under my calorie goal because I was sick all day lol
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Next time do jumping jacks into the kitchen for each square. :bigsmile:
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Haha I just ate a Lindt chocolate bar, I meant to only eat a couple of squares but I ate the entire thing! Oops, Oh well I'll call it my celebration chocolate for getting down to pre-pregnancy weight :)
  • jtapp9
    jtapp9 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    They say 1 oz of alcohol a day is good for you too. I'm looking good through 2029.

OMG...ROFLMAO...ME TOO!!!!!!