RUNNING HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
im starting to run, and I did a whole workout running today,

so I have the lung capacity for it, but my calves hurt really bad when I do it.
Does this stop or do I need to do something to help this.

Replies

• glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Honestly, calf pain doesn't say much, at least to me. Yes it could be that you just need time, but it could also indicate an injury. Is it actually painful or is it sore?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    warm up better, cool down better. stretch.
  • kelleyhelm1
    kelleyhelm1 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    its more of a burning sensation, usually goes away when I stop.
  • kelleyhelm1
    Options
    warm up better, cool down better. stretch.

thanks. I always forget about the stretching part.
  • Matt24442
    Matt24442 Posts: 324
    Options
    foam roller
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    What surface are you running on? I just finished week 7 of C25K and I noticed my calves hurt when I run on concrete and if I overdo it speed wise.
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem..making sure to stretch and warm up have really helped.
  • kelleyhelm1
    Options
    I run on concrete. so would another surface work better??
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Don't stop it's totally harmless. Calf pain is your body telling you that you are running a little longer than its trained for. So lessen the distance you run or persevere through it.
  • kelleyhelm1
    Options
    thanks. helps a lot
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I find that different parts of my legs hurt at different times. I think it's just a matter of my body gaining strength unevenly. When my calves are weaker, they hurt, then they develop more as I keep running, then my quads will hurt for a couple weeks because they're now the weakest, and on and on. Nothing for it but to keep training and do dynamic stretching before you run and more static stuff after. And foam roller! I just use a rolled up yoga mat.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Asphalt is better than concrete. Dirt is better than asphalt. Grass is better than dirt. The more impact you can distribute to the surface the easier it will be on you.

I switched shoes in January and my calves were killing me for a couple of weeks. It could be that you're just needing to get used to this or it could be that the shoes aren't quite right. In general sore muscles tend to adapt and get acclimated to your exercise. Just be wary of sore tendons and joints. Muscles have amazing blood flow and can heal quickly.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

Asphalt is better than concrete. Dirt is better than asphalt. Grass is better than dirt. The more impact you can distribute to the surface the easier it will be on you.

I switched shoes in January and my calves were killing me for a couple of weeks. It could be that you're just needing to get used to this or it could be that the shoes aren't quite right. In general sore muscles tend to adapt and get acclimated to your exercise. Just be wary of sore tendons and joints. Muscles have amazing blood flow and can heal quickly.

QFT
  • kelleyhelm1
    Options

QFT

QFT?????

and what is the purpose of a foam roller.
  • lolsauce
    lolsauce Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean about the burning sensation in your calves. That usually happens to me around the midpoint in my run, even if I do stretch. Even though it's quite bothersome I just power through it and then I will eventually reach a point where the sensation subsides and I can run as far as I want. If the burning is really intense, instead of stopping, try to slow down a bit and avoid running uphill.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    QFT= quoted for truth. Means the poster agrees.

A foam roller is just a good way to massage your own muscles, basically. Some chiropractors and the like are really into them too and claim benefits I don't entirely believe in, but a good foam roller session on my legs after a long run definitely helps with my soreness the next day or the next run.
  • Otrogen
    Otrogen Posts: 65
    Options
    How long does your workout last, and how new to it are you? When I first started C25K, my very first time, my legs pretty much burned all throughout. It was something I had to power through. Now, they burn from maybe minutes 5-10 of my run, but after that it subsides and I feel good. Everybody has that burning uncomfortable muscle phase where it's hard and it hurts, and you just have to get through it. Make sure you're not pushing it too hard, though! With running, you should be going slowly enough that you can talk in complete sentences while you run. Any faster, and you're just on the fast track to burnout and injury. Good luck with your aspirations, and keep it up :).
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    im starting to run, and I did a whole workout running today,

so I have the lung capacity for it, but my calves hurt really bad when I do it.
    Does this stop or do I need to do something to help this.

It stops, but you need to run more to help it. Sounds like you might need to work on conditioning, and that comes with time.
  • FitFoodieMomBillie
    FitFoodieMomBillie Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Burning in your calves is just your body telling you that you are doing more than it is accustomed to - keep going. There's no real reason to stop unless you just can't force yourself to take another step. You are in the process of building muscle. Make sure you stretch before and after you run or at least get a GOOD walk in before and after your run. These are VERY important steps that a lot of people over look. Stretch out your hip flexors, your thighs, calves, ankles & shins and the bottoms of your feet. You can use a foam roller to self-massage or even a tennis ball. Soak in epsom salts a few times a week (just add it to your bath - it's good for you.) And take a magnesium supplement (pref one with calcium) if you find that you are often sore... it is one of those things that many of us are deficient in. Also, make sure you are running in shoes that are right for your feet. My best investment was a super expensive pair of New Balances that were fit at the store. They support my tendancy to roll my weight toward my arches, and my now falling arches. Go to a REAL shoe store and get fitted.