Sedentary Desk Job

Options
I know many of us have sedentary desk jobs. I read more and more that its very unhealthy for the body and mind to have desk jobs so long during the day for years. I workout 5 to 6 days a week and sometimes during the day I walk outside to get some air and exercise. I am not overall unhealthy but I see the toll desk jobs has had on a lot of my older coworkers who have had these jobs for years. They don't allow balls to sit at desk occasionally throughout day (for safety reasons). Besides quitting a job that a pretty good and has good benefits, any other suggestions for getting the blood flowing at my desk?? Anyone else have these concerns?

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I have a full-time desk job. I normally go for walks at lunch and some breaks and I get up and walk around as much as I can throughout the day.
  • Otrogen
    Otrogen Posts: 65
    Options
    Yeah, you really just have to do what you can to get the blood moving as often as possible. It was never such a big deal for me when I had a desk job because I had to go to the bathroom every hour or so anyway, so I'd get up and walk around a little.

Trust me, you're probably going to be done for in your old age no matter what your job is xD. Active professions wear down their joints usually, if not more than just that. I'm in the healthcare profession and work in a hospital, so I stay moving pretty much the entire time I'm on the clock. I guarantee you I'll need knee replacements and will probably have a messed up back from all the patients we have to move, waaaay before you die of a sedentary desk job. Do what you can to stay moving, but I wouldn't fret over it too much if you're otherwise doing things to keep yourself healthy.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job as well. I keep something similar to this under my desk:
    http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-Folding-Exercise-Electronic/dp/B002VWJYSE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377406236&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+stationary+bike

I go for a 2 mile walk during my lunch break (mainly just to get away from the office for a bit). I also try to get up and walk around as much as possible (ie send print jobs to a copy machine further away from your desk; get up and grab your copies after each print instead of waiting for multiple documents to print and THEN collect the batch, walk to other people's cubicles vs. emailing questions to them).
  • JumpinJill
    JumpinJill Posts: 63 Member
    Options

That is exactly what I was going to recommend as well!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job. I take an hour or two off during the day to work out.
  • swhisson
    swhisson Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just got this delivered today and so far I am loving it!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009N9PW1Q/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job but I also make multiple rounds on the nursing units. Instead of taking the elevator, I always take the stairs even when I forget something on the sixth floor and have to go back up.
  • emc916
    Options
    I have a desk job. I take an hour or two off during the day to work out.

Same here. Luckily, my place has a gym and aerobics room. Not to mention a ton of outdoor trails to run on.

The best advice I can give is just to try to get up and do more walks throughout the day.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Buy a stand up desk
  • tlab827
    tlab827 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and I take a walk every break I get. I can usually get in about 4 miles during work. I find that it helps me clear my head, especially on those extra frustrating days.