Bloated vegan; Different protein source ideas?

Options
I've been a vegan for nearly 8 years and I thought that sodium was causing my bloating, but now I've cut way back on sodium and am still bloated. I've realized that it's all the beans I eat that's really causing the bloating. If I need about 50g of protein a day, can you give me some bean-less ways to get to that many grams or even just some new protein ideas? Thanks! :)

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by bloating?

I can't really see how beans would cause serious water retention...? Or do you mean stomach bloating?
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    The bloating might be caused by the gas given off by the beans.
    Its generally a good idea to soak the beans first for several hours up to overnight - depending on the bean.
    Drain and then cook. Skim the foam from the water - this should help.

Also, you might want to consider taking a probiotic supplement to populate your gut with beneficial bacteria. There is now emerging a great deal of research indicating the amazing health benefits of probiotics from assisting in weight loss ti improving mental health - and it may just help with your feelngs of bloating.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Shame that as a vegan the OP cannot avail herself of the probiotic yoghurts.

My advice would be.... reconsider if veganism really is doing you any good, if it's causing bloating!
  • onandoff
    onandoff Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I also have this problem. I recently started eating hummus in the morning (made from black beans or soybeans) and felt bloated all the time. I soak the beans for the night before cooking. I guess I should be more careful when cooking it.
  • framingsammie
    framingsammie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure there are some protein powders that are suitable for vegans. Maybe look into that? xo
  • delanthear
    Options
    Hemp powder is pretty good. You can just sprinkle it on your breakfast or make drinks with it.

http://www.choosingraw.com/the-low-down-on-vegan-protein-powders/
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options

I am a vegan and I take a probiotic supplement every morning. Its not yoghurt based.

This is only one non-diary based probiotic available in Australia.
    http://innerhealth.com.au/content/product/inner-health-plus-dairy-free

kind regards,

Ben
  • lisi24
    lisi24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    try hemp protein.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    do you soak the beans? here are my tricks for decreasing the gassiness (I am assuming that is what you mean?):

1. longer soaking (24-48) with constant water changing. In warm weather do this in the fridge, especially chickpeas which tend to go bad for some reason.
    AND
    2a. then let them "almost" sprout (spread them out on a tray, cover with damp towels and let it sit for a few hours)
    OR
    2b. adfter soaking rinse well, put in a pot with clean water, bring to a boil, and skim off the "white foam", rinse again, start over with fresh water, repeat as needed until no white foam appears (usually 2-3 times).

Other sources:
    nut butters
    nuts in general
    some vegetables
    quinoa
    mushrooms
  • Jordanad79
    Options
    Try shelled hemp seeds (in addition to what others have mentioned). I'm pescatarian, but there's really only so much fish one can eat, so I found I was eating a lot of beans and quinoa to supplement my protein intake. I too was having issues with bloating. I started taking a probiotic supplement, digestive enzymes with every meal, and temporarily eliminated beans and quinoa (yes, quinoa was making me bloated since I was eating so much of it). Since then I've been able to reintroduce beans and quinoa into my diet (I find quinoa bloats me more than beans...).

ETA: Sorry! I now see that hemp protein was already suggested.
  • Jordanad79
    Options

My advice would be.... reconsider if veganism really is doing you any good, if it's causing bloating!

That's really unhelpful. Veganism is not causing the OP's bloating. Something in her diet (or lack of proper gut flora) is. Adding meat is not going to cure that.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I have been using two probiotics every morning and they have helped me more than I can tell you! (1) Flora Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus and (2) Thorne Research Bacillus Coagulans. I did a fair amount of research before I finally found this combination - not all probiotics are the same and some of them don't really help the bloating very much at all. Good Luck!!!
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    THIS IS WHT I USE AS A PROTEIN , MADE FROM BROWN RICE AND YELLOW PEAS AND IT DOESN'T BLOT ME .....I BBUY IT FROM UNIKEY HEALTH.COM OR I THINK YOU CAN NOW GET IT ON AMAZON

UNI KEY's Fat Flush Body Protein is the perfect gluten and dairy-free protein powder! With one of the highest Protein Efficiency Ratios on the market, the blend of pea and rice proteins provides a complete protein source of essential amino acids. Pea is high in lysine, the amino acid typically deficient in rice, while rice provides the sulfur-bearing amino acids, cysteine and methionine, which are lacking in pea protein.

A staple of the Fat Flush Smoothie Shakedown, Fat Flush Body Protein contains 20 grams of protein per serving to help keep you feeling sustained and energized for a good four hours!

Add your favorite fruit to make a delicious smoothie and enjoy a perfectly balanced breakfast, pre- or post-workout boost, or satisfying meal replacement!

GMO-free
    Perfect for vegans and vegetarians!
    Natural vanilla flavor
    Sweetened with stevia, an all-natural herbal sweetener and inulin, a pre-biotic that helps nourish friendly bacteria in the GI tract

Testing has confirmed our rice protein is safe from dangerous levels of arsenic.

Contains no dairy, soy, corn, eggs, gluten, or sugar – just great taste!
  • veggievixen79
    veggievixen79 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    What about TVP/textured vegetable protein? It's made from soy and you can get it in health food stores or Indian groceries. I live in the U.K. and they also call it Soya chunks or Soya mince here. You just rehydrate with boiling water and chuck it into whatever you're cooking.

Also try cooking your beans with asafoetida, which is an Indian spice which is often added to recipes to make beans easier to digest--google can give you more information about it.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure there are some protein powders that are suitable for vegans. Maybe look into that? xo

I use SunWarrior protein. You can request free samples. It's a vegan protein powder with the full range of amino acids. I'm not vegan, but I can't digest milk proteins and I have trouble with red meat. I had a lot of trouble with bloating, nausea and pain for years until my doctor told me to try cutting out dairy and wheat. It worked like magic. Good luck, OP! :flowerforyou:
  • dazzer1975
    dazzer1975 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Try quinoa, not a massive percentage of protein circa 15%, but you won't find a better quality one in the plant world.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/10352/2

check out the amino acid range it has... all of them

Also as mentioned above, tvp/soy protein is great added to all sorts, I use soya mince and chunks

P.S. I don't know how sensitive you are to grains if at all, but it isn't a grain despite what most places say, it's a seed
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I use a soy based protein powder. (Holland and Barrett if you're in the UK) I'm a vege, not a vegan, but the supplement is vegan.

That said, I've never experienced this apparent bloat from eating beans, in nearly thirty years of being a veggie... So I can't relate to the premise of the thread, really.
  • sheltony
    sheltony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    tofu, tvp, miso, nuts and nut butters, hemp seeds (great on cereal), oatmeal, soy milk, almond milk, Broccoli, lentils. Try some, you'll like it! And eat loads and loads of vegetables- raw, cooked, pickled, any way you want. Go play with your food :)>
    Yvette
  • sheltony
    sheltony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Almost forgot---tempeh (yum, yum)!
  • bokchoybaby
    bokchoybaby Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If you're only trying to get to 50 grams of protein a day this shouldn't be too challenging.

Amount of protein per 200 grams:
    potato: 4 grams
    banana, raw, unpeeled: 2 gram
    blueberries, raw: 1 gram
    spinach, raw: 6 grams
    swiss chard, raw: 4 grams
    brown rice: 5 grams
    quinoa: 9 grams
    nutritional yeast: 90 grams (9 grams in 20 gram serving)
    brazil nuts: 29 grams (4 grams in one ounce serving)
    almonds: 43 grams protein (6 grams in one ounce serving)

Of course, most vegetables have varying amount of protein. The average grain has even more. Even if you never ate another bean-based product again you should still be able to get to 50 grams of protein without sweating it. If you find yourself struggling for any reason there are tons of vegan protein powders on the market, many of which are not bean-based (hemp, rice, pumpkin seed, etc.).