SoS diet

Options
has anyone else tried the Stop Only Sugars diet?

ive been doing it for a few days and have already lost 3 lbs so im pretty excited but i was wondering if it gets harder to lose later on once your body adjusts to it or if it keeps coming off (i know 3lbs in 3 days isnt normal buti dont want it to end up being going down to like .2 per week or something like that) also any issues that came up from doing it or if anyones heard anything good or bad about it

thanks ahead of time

opps posted in the wrong forum first time

Replies

• onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    has anyone else tried the Stop Only Sugars diet?

ive been doing it for a few days and have already lost 3 lbs so im pretty excited but i was wondering if it gets harder to lose later on once your body adjusts to it or if it keeps coming off (i know 3lbs in 3 days isnt normal buti dont want it to end up being going down to like .2 per week or something like that) also any issues that came up from doing it or if anyones heard anything good or bad about it.

thanks ahead of time

opps posted in the wrong forum first time

Sounds like you are talking about low sugar low carb diet, since reducing sugars will also reduce yours carbs. Please note that when you are starting this kind of diet, in the first few days the glycogen in your system is being depleted causing you to lose water weight and see a dramatic drop in your weight in the first week. This will mellow out the following week, so you will more likely see smaller more steady losses.

As you re-introduce sugar back in your diet your weight might increase in that week (water plus glycogen).
  • Munchkinated
    Options
    IMO it isn't a healthy way of losing weight. Yeah sure you should greatly moderate your sugar intake. But fruits have sugar in it. Does it mean you aren't supposed to eat them? Try something you can see yourself committing to as a lifestyle, not just temporary.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    If you can stick to that, more power to you, but personally I go with "everything in moderation". It works.
  • elrickis1337
    elrickis1337 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    in the book they say to moderate your simple sugars but fruits and stuff are ok in moderation and not counted toward your 20 grams your alloted per day

as for the change in lifestyle it really does fit for me im a meat eater the big change is taking the carbs and big starches out and replacing them with more whole grains
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I removed all refined sugars and white carbs for my first month to remove cravings. After that first month, I started putting back whole grains and some sugars for a treat. Going off refined sugar is definitely doable but not ALL sugar, as was mentioned with fruit. But I like to have a treat now and then. MODERATION....thats the key.
  • elrickis1337
    Options
    I removed all refined sugars and white carbs for my first month to remove cravings. After that first month, I started putting back whole grains and some sugars for a treat. Going off refined sugar is definitely doable but not ALL sugar, as was mentioned with fruit. But I like to have a treat now and then. MODERATION....thats the key.

thank you ive been caling them the wrong name forever refined sugars nto simple :) so it has worked well for you? how long have you been doing it?
  • Effster
    Effster Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I never heard about the SoS diet until I read your post, but I'm interested in trying it. I do have a family member--he was about 20 lbs overweight--who cut out sugar from his morning coffee, and this ONE change in lifestyle led to losing 30 lbs for one year (he had used about 4 tsps of sugar/day previously). I asked what else he did to lose weight, and since he wasn't eating too poorly to begin with, and was moderately active, he didn't feel the need to change anything else in his lifestyle except cutting out his morning sugar.
  • onikonor
    Options
    in the book they say to moderate your simple sugars but fruits and stuff are ok in moderation and not counted toward your 20 grams your alloted per day

as for the change in lifestyle it really does fit for me im a meat eater the big change is taking the carbs and big starches out and replacing them with more whole grains

Fruits are simple sugars. Anything that tastes sweet is a simple sugar.

1 cup of blueberries has 14 g of simple sugars.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/379749-what-are-simple-sugars/
  • elrickis1337
    Options

Fruits are simple sugars. Anything that tastes sweet is a simple sugar.

1 cup of blueberries has 14 g of simple sugars.

sorry i misspoke i ment refined not simple :)
  • elrickis1337
    Options
    I never heard about the SoS diet until I read your post, but I'm interested in trying it. I do have a family member--he was about 20 lbs overweight--who cut out sugar from his morning coffee, and this ONE change in lifestyle led to losing 30 lbs for one year (he had used about 4 tsps of sugar/day previously). I asked what else he did to lose weight, and since he wasn't eating too poorly to begin with, and was moderately active, he didn't feel the need to change anything else in his lifestyle except cutting out his morning sugar.

check it out my wife picked up the book im not sure how readily available it is because its a doctor thats from my area that wrote it. he worked with people that were having IBS issues and gave them a low sugar high fiber diet to help with it and they all came back with a bit of weightloss so he thought he would put it out there for people
  • onikonor
    Options

I would say you should keep your total sugars down in general. You will see more of a benefit this way. I don't eat any refined sugar and on 2K calorie days my intake is 60G which is over goal of 40G (mostly from milk, fruit, and vegetables). As you can see that's still quite high.
  • bodyrocks365
    Options
    onikonor is right. I stopped simple sugars and ate whole grains like 100% whole wheat and oats and barley and I have never been so PUFFY in my life. They have got to have been pulling water into my cells. Since I cut both types of sugar out to small levels I have dropped in puffiness. However, I like dairy so much that I cant give my dairy sugars up from yogurt but I choose lowest possible sugar in that and replaced milk with soy and almond milk unsweetened. GL!
  • elrickis1337
    Options
    the simple sugars are not what they want you to cut out completly its the refined ones
  • elrickis1337
    Options
    bump and is there anyone that has heard of this diet before?
  • live2bgramma
    live2bgramma Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have heard about the SOS diet.. a friend of mine has a family member doing it. It apparently has not only helped him lose quite a bit of weight thus far, but he has become more energetic, no more headaches, no more diabetes, lowered blood pressure, and he is on the way to a healthy cholesterol. He enjoys feeling FREE from his prior need to eat sweets all the time. He now enjoys living his life without them.. and knows that if he were to go back to that, he would feel awful again and his health would deteriorate.
  • lynznc
    lynznc Posts: 1
    Options
    I didn't know fruit didn't count toward your 20g of sugar on SOS - where did you read that?