What are your favorite protein-rich snacks?

Options
On another thread, rml_16 and a lot of other MFP'ers are discussing protein, and how difficult it is to get sufficient protein from regular foods. Like lots of people, I supplement with an EAS whey protein shake - but as I've got more into the weight-training lifestyle, have found a few favorite sources for protein. I thought I'd share and ask others to do the same!

My wife bought me a dehydrator, so I make my own jerky. I prefer to use chicken - not for any reason other than it's less easy to screw up! Marinate it overnight and then set it to dehydrate for 6 hours and you've got a delicious, mega-high protein and super-low fat/carb snack you can eat on the go.

I also LOVE the Chick'n Scallopinis from Gardein. They're soy based, super easy to cook and taste delicious. They have 2g fat, 4g carbs (2 of which are dietry fiber) and 14g protein and just 90 calories each!

http://www.gardein.com/products.php?t=frozen&p=5

Obviously, the drawback is that they're soy-based, which is not a complete protein (it has very little methionine) and has been linked to hormone issues and breast cancer.

My main requirements in a snack are that it contains no less (and preferably more) protein than fat/carbs combined.

Replies

• ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I've thought about doing chicken in the dehydrator but was afraid of salmonella. Do you worry about that or know whether I should be concerned about it? Would LOVE to do chicken jerky but only if safe!

My favorites are:
    Grilled chicken or turkey (you can get them 99% fat free) strips dipped in fat-free mayo mixed with mustard
    Kashi Go Lean Original
    Clams (drain and rinse to get rid of salt, LOADS of protein and NO fat!)
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily clean eating, but close to it: Clif Builders Protein Bars. My FAVORITE!

I also love canned sockeye Alaskan salmon with capers on a wheat pita.
  • Banner1375
    Banner1375 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A couple of things that I eat which are high in protein is Kroger Carbmaster yogart. Only 80 cal with 12 grams of protein.

Also for breakfast (not a snack but it could be) is Kellogg's - Special K - Protein Plus. Only 100 cal with 10 grams of protein.
  • rolandhulme
    rolandhulme Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've thought about doing chicken in the dehydrator but was afraid of salmonella. Do you worry about that or know whether I should be concerned about it? Would LOVE to do chicken jerky but only if safe!

Good question! In the instruction manual, it says to cook the chicken first - but I asked my seasoned jerky-making friend and he said that if you stick chicken into a jerky machine at 160 degrees for six hours, it'll kill the salmonella and then some. I've eaten a metric ton of the stuff and have never got sick from it. The trick is to cut it in small strips, or I buy the 'tenders' or 'fillets' from Perdue, which are pretty much the right size and shape from the word go.

Salt is also important - that's the major drawback with jerky - the sodium. Salt helps preserve the meat, add flavor and kills bacteria. The benefit of making your own is that you can control how much you use (I use about two teaspoons per pound of meat.)

My jerky-making pal also makes jerky from game he catches, but recommends freezing the meat for at least three weeks first, because some wild game carry parasites that can survive the dehydration process. Freezing them will kill them.