Ladies who work out at home!

Options

Replies

• sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this question. I have also been looking for more to do at home than the stationery bikeI have small weights, balance ball and bands from working with a trainer a few yesrs ago. Life has changed some and need to get back to the workouts. I've learned a lot this morning.
  • mommetime
    mommetime Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi I make a list of 5 body weight workouts (ie:push ups,squats,triceps dips,box jumps on the step,mountain climbers) and set the timer for 30 secs on and 30 secs off. Sometimes 40/20 or 45/15. Then I repeat the exercises for 30 mins and see how many rounds I can get in in 30 mins. It's like a little competition with yourself so it's motivating to try and get one more round in. Then repeat the workout and try to beat your time or you can try and beat how many push ups you can get in 30 seconds. These are easy to do anywhere. I've even done this camping;)
  • Bobbiezilla
    Bobbiezilla Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I do two rounds of these.....

http://backonpointe.tumblr.com/post/15968075542/a-daily-exercise-plan-do-these-exercises

I like the variety and 20-25 minutes leaves me a sweaty mess :) It's fun to feel them get easier, and once I can do 2 x in 15 then I'll add another set.

Also picked up a weight set at the thrift store, and use the dumbells, but would like to get a bar and bench soon!
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Certainly gone do the outside walk,
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I run and run. Don't need a gym for that.

For strength I do You Are Your Own Gym via the app. I don't find it boring because I watch mindless television while I do it. Think of it as my tv time instead of workout time.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I love Jillian Michaels' Ripped in 30. All I need are a pair of hand weights and a yoga mat (I have hardwood floors). It's done me quite well, so far.
  • Pamstimelines
    Pamstimelines Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I cannot afford nor do I want to take the time to go to the gym, for many reasons. I work out at home and I do get bored with it easy so I vary it up. I am just beginning so I think that anything that keeps me moving is good. Here's some of the things I do:

* I do have a recumbent bike that I ride (that is pretty boring even in front of the t.v.)

* We games - I especially like Just Dance

* Utube Videos - I like Walking at Home with LS

* Cleaning - esp. scrubbing floors and walls and vacuuming

* Yard work! Raking leaves and mowing the grass etc.

* I have a variety of workout videos.

The possibilities are great - it just take the desire to get up and move!
    Best Wishes!
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    when I first started out: Jillian Michaels workouts on youtube, bodyrocktv, and dailyhiit.com were very good at kicking my butt. Now, I do those on occasion but I mainly run, hike with hubby and use Turbo Fire.

walking, running, and phone apps work well for little and no money as well.
  • asaunders0923
    Options
    When I started losing weight 9 yrs ago I did Tae Bo DVDs at home. From there I've moved on to insanity, asylum, jillian michaels buns and thighs, jillian yoga, and a few of the p90x DVDs. I say invest your money in DVDs instead of the gym and get some free weights. You can really mix up your workouts so that you don't get bored! I worked at a gym for 2 years and still worked out at home!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I first started with the wii fit. Then in spring I did c25k. Worked up to a half marathon. Then I bought a cheap weight set off kijiji, then I bought more plates at the thrift store.... It wasn't quite that linear, I still think of myself as a runner, and I even use the wii for yoga sometimes still...
    With some patience, and persistence, you should be able to find a free/cheap weight set on kijiji or freecycle....
    The main problem is creating and sticking to a routine.

Check your local library, mine has an abundance of exercise videos, that's what I fall back on if I get tired of what I am doing, nothing like burlesque or belly dancing to shake things up a little :tongue:
  • JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I had always worked out t home and then I started going to the gym for Zumba and I tried using the machines, but I wasn't getting any real results with the machines because I didn't really know what I was doing and I can't afford a personal trainer. So, I quit using all that stuff and went back to my home workouts....still go to the gym for Zumba cuz I'm addicted!! :wink: I do The FIRM and Turbo Jam and currently I am doing Focus T25 which I LOVE and I've seen the most results with T25.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I use C25K running app, A massive variety of Jillian Michaels DVD's (these can be found on youtube) and I know fitness blender is dull- but whack some music on and the routines do work.
    I also have heavy weights for lifting and dumbbells for the Jillian workouts ( you can use cans of food or bottles of water for just starting out)
    I have also got a stationary bike which I use occasionally but I really don't enjoy it so I tend to stick with others.
    Good luck! I was never motivated with the gym and found i'd go, then just do things half-assed as technically I was still "at the gym". Using a HRM is a big push for me, too. MFP was was over estimating burn- so now I work harder to get a burn!
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I've found Jillian Michaels' DVDs invaluable! I've just finished 30 day shred and about to start 6 week 6 pack tonight!! Most of her vids are between 25-45 minutes, and all you need are some hand weights!

This! Mix them up if you want to! Walking/jogging/running. A few hand weights. I don't use a gym.
  • ktaylormusic
    ktaylormusic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Bodyrock.tv
    Another free site with workout videos. Not as professional looking and organized as the Tone It Up ladies, but will get the job done.

http://www.bodyrock.tv

Thanks for this link! Looks awesome and I'm going to get prepped to do the Oct challenge...
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've always worked out at home and before I ripped apart my ankle last year tripping over a dumbbell that I hadn't put way, and I had great results with a combo of lifting and videos. My best results have come with progressive resistance training using adjustable dumbbells or body weight in combo with flexibility and a little cardio using videos.

Some of my favorite YouTube channels are:

- Body Rock TV
    - Lionsgate BeFit
    - PlumTV
    - Pop Pilates
    - Cafe Mom
    - Fitness Blender
    - Jessica Smith TV
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Tone It Up
    Two girls in California who put out free videos on YouTube with print out sheets so you can do it anywhere and not have to watch the video. They also have a nutrition plan (which is amazing, btw) and online community.
    www.toneitup.com

http://www.youtube.com/toneitupcom

Bodyrock.tv
    Another free site with workout videos. Not as professional looking and organized as the Tone It Up ladies, but will get the job done.

http://www.bodyrock.tv

P90X/Insanity
    These are expensive unless maybe you can find these DVD sets on ebay or craigslist or something. I wouldn't do just one or the other, but rather a combo of both as cardio and strength training are key to weight loss.

http://www.beachbody.com

Honestly, I usually go run using my 5k runner app on my iPhone (baby in the jogging stroller) and then at some point I do a workout that might be one of the above. Always feel sore and like I got a good burn in.

I also use a Polar heartrate monitor and its changed how I workout. It helps motivate me and I feel like when it shows me how many calories I burned, it's way more accurate than any other thing.

I hope this info helps!! :D

YES! thank you :) I will check out tone it up and bodyrocktv.

I've heard there are a lot of fakes on ebay (insanity). I can't afford it either way lol

But thank you. I did buy a Kelly Holmes HRM, but it didn't work. I will probably buy a better one in the new year.

:)

Check your local library - they often have videos to borrow.

Also, check yardsales, classifieds for local cheap equipment/videos to buy. I got a kettlebell on clearance. I nearly had a free weight bench my neighbor had sat on curb. Needed new seat (easy to fix). We weren't quick enough with the truck!

Our local community center offers some stuff too - check out yours. Ours is pretty cheap (compared to a gym). Offers zumba, indoor walking and some videos/equipment (all donated so not the greatest selection - but yours might have a piece you are wishing to try out).

I got a bicycle off facebook yardsale ad for $30. I'm in love with my bicycle. Yes, it needs work. If I keep riding I'm going to save up for a better one. In the mean time, I'm not sitting around waiting to at least try biking.

C25K apps are free for your phone. I'm not doing one, but no reason to not if it interests you.

Do some lifting with things around the house - if I pick up something heavy I usually pick it up a few more times. Examples - gallon jugs of liquid, 40 lb dog food bags. I usually lift the jugs behind my head a few times. You can also fill jugs with rocks/sand and use similar to kettlebells.

Good luck! Find some stuff you love to do!
  • LuvLosing
    Options
    I love Jillian Michaels dvds. She became famous as a coach on the "Biggest Loser" show. She teaches you how to make better food choices, provides excellent online support and a variety of workout videos. I especially love her Body Revolution program.

To find out more about her body revolution program, check link below

http://transformmybody.org
  • jobi1kanoobi
    Options
    I use 30 day shred and if the weather isn't too bad I like to go running. Apparently running is one of the best ways to lose weight and the more I do it the further I go and more calories I burn. Plus, it's free!
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym where I work but I live 15 miles away so I also workout at home in the evening after dinner and on the weekends. I have a cycle pedal (~$30) that I can use while watching tv at my desk and a body ball I use for crunches. Looking into getting a full size stationary bike or treadmill but what I have has worked for me so far.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I've never went to a gym. I do p 90x, asylum, insanity workouts all at home. They were all well worth the money, I love my results and can use these workouts all the time from here on out:)