My wallet was stolen at the gym

Options

Replies

• MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    sorry to hear - that' s never fun.

I use a lock at the gym but since the locker room is far from the gym room, and pretty empty at the time that i get there, plus I am not comfortable being that far away, i take my purse in with me in a small nylon bag (one of those "backpacks" with string straps) and keep it where i can see it. when i go to shower, i put the purse in the locked locker but then it's just for about 5-10 minutes and at that hour the locker room is usually full.

I can't keep my purse at home because i go from home to gym to work.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    If I don't have a place to lock my stuff up I wrap my valuables up inside an old pair of underwear covered in skid marks
  • Otrogen
    Otrogen Posts: 65
    Options
    I hide mine in the car. My car is so messy inside and so old that nobody has ever looked into it and thought, "Hey, better get me some valuables!" Except once, when I had somebody punch out one of the little triangle windows just behind the second row seating doors because they saw a playstation 3 box in the back of the car. Empty, of course. Dumbasses. It cost me $215 to replace it because it was an unusual shape, and I remember how pissed off I was about it for a while.

So yes, it's normal to feel that way. Scream and shout and let alllll of that poison out of you. And then play smarter next time. You'll never beat every single *kitten* in the world who's out to steal what's yours and deprive you of what you worked hard for, but you can make sure they don't trick you so easily again next time.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym, I use my (rather large) phone in an armband for music. The area behind it is large enough to fit a key (b/c I use an actual padlock on my locker) and my debit and credit cards. Before I work out, I tuck my cards and key behind my phone and lock up my locker even though there is nothing really valuable left as I rarely keep more than $10 cash on me.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I use a combination lock on the lockers when I go to the gym. As much as I'd like to think I can trust the little old ladies that go to the pool for swimming, I just feel fanatical about my stuff being safe! lol

I realize gym memberships are kind of expensive, but geez, is it so bad you have to resort to stealing? Places like the YMCA have financial aid.... lol!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    **** happens :sad:

FANNY PACKS!!!!! I wear them because I'm a cool MOFO!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    all the cool mofos wear fanny packs.

TRUTH
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, get into a slightly higher price gym. You rule out the riff raff. I'm with Lifetime fitness. I really love this chain.
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Jdm_taco, I'm sure your method would prevent a lot of thefts.
    This is a joke of course but I guess the women could leave some "time of the month" underwear wrapped around their valuables.
    I guess between the "TOM" and skid marks underwear, that would keep your belongings safer than a pad lock.
    I've had my laugh for the day.
    "jdm_taco"
    If I don't have a place to lock my stuff up I wrap my valuables up inside an old pair of underwear covered in skid marks
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I would do what I did when my wallet was stolen out of my truck while I was taking groceries in. Cancel everything I can, file reports, start replacing things, get mad at the *kitten* weasel that stole my stuff, get mad at myself for leaving it where it could be stolen and move on.

I would not cancel my gym membership, I would however not take my wallet in with me - lock it in the trunk of your car or leave it at home. I would get a new lock (how did they get in your locker if your lock was locked?).
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that ;/ That is a real kick in the pants. Do you usually lock your locker? If not, I would start if you do ever go back. I'm always overly paranoid and bring my own lock with me. When I have a lighter load I usually just tuck a few dollars and maybe my ID in the inside of my ipod case and have my keys in my pockets. I wouldn't go back personally. It'd leave a bad taste in my mouth about the place and why pay a TON of money to a place you don't even feel secure at?
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    If I was going to use a locker I would have used a lock...Im not sure if I missed it or if your locker was locked?...no way I would have trusted my wallet somewhere I couldn't see it that would be like placing it in a cart at Wallyworld and walking off....I wouldn't stop going to the gym at all one reason is the person that stole your stuff forever has to see your face...I would be right there but I would never put anything again in a locker there.
  • CurlyAussie
    CurlyAussie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am going to aqua aerobics at 11:00 a.m.
    I am not letting a thief ruin my desire to swim.
    Clearly, I aint gettin' my purse back.
    Now, the thief could have stolen a few pounds off me for goodness sake!

Life goes on and I love the sore muscles I have from yesterday.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Good for you OP. I never bring my valuables (phone/wallet) into the gym - I leave them hidden in my car.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sorry that happened to you. you should put a sign up to see if other people have had things stolen from that locker room. if there are more than a few then the gym really needs to update THEIR security policies.

in the meantime, i'd just move on.

what i usually do is leave all my cash and cards at home when i go to the gym. my gym has a charge to your account deal so if i need to buy water or something i just do that. on days (like today) when i have stuff to do right after the gym that requires $$, i keep my cash/check card in the armband of my phone.

i learned the hard way once at a gym when stuff was being stolen (turns out it was an employee!) to not leave anything of value in the lockers, even if you do have a lock
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I never take my purse, wallet, pretty much anything valuable into the gym. I'm sure that your gym, as most others, post that they are not responsible for any lost or stolen items. I would definitely move on. It isn't the gym's fault that it happened. It could have happened at a restaurant, grocery store or movie theater. You just never know.
  • kasimarie29
    kasimarie29 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I leave my wallet and keys in my car.. but my car has a keypad so no one can get in it unless you have the code
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I used to go to a community center and I never used a locker. I have never used a locker at any place where I go to workout. I keep my keys, water, etc. with me at all times. A LA Fitness in GA has been robbed multiple times per the news on tv. The news said that the pad locks were cut with a bolt cutter.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/thief-targets-fitness-center/nZRGB/

Everyone is dressed in itty bitty pieces of form-fitting spandex - how does someone not notice ppl walking in with bolt cutters? :huh:
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I would either lock the locker when I'm working out or leave my wallet in my car (locked) when I'm in the gym. Dishonest people are everywhere and unfortunately we just have to take precautions to keep our things safe. It's normal to feel angry and violated. My advice is to replace what you can and let it go. Everything else is out of your control.

^Couldn't have said it better myself
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Get a lock with a key. So unless the person wants to cut the lock off to get into the locker than you can't do much.