Tofu and Hot Sauce

Options
I just bought some tofu, which I have never had before so I don't know if I like it, and I love hot sauce and put it on practically anything; so I was wondering if tofu and hot sauce mix well or if I should stick with marinade type stuff

Thank you! :)

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    What type of tofu?
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I do. I also use 0 cal buffalo sauce. The extra firm is easier to cut up, but doesn't absorb marinade well, so I stick with hot sauce and buffalo sauce added when prepared to eat.
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Tofu by itself has no flavor and for most people, throwing some hot sauce on it by itself is not going to make you want to eat it. I suggest freezing it overnight in some marinade containing the hot sauce/spices you like.
  • shellsies93
    Options
    azumaya firm tofu
  • shellsies93
    Options
    thank you!! I will try that
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Also, you have to squeeze all the water out of tofu before marinating/cooking/anything with it. It will not absorb any flavor until all the water is pressed out.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    yum and yes. It can be used for all sorts of things. from dinner to dessert. make it into soups, stirfry, put it in a light batter and make fried tofu. for deserts, it makes GREAT pudding, mousse, parfait.

I like to marinade it in teriyaki with some hot sauce for an hour or two and bake it, and put it with rice and veggies.

ETA

Firm for food and soup and silken for soup (I like it better in soup than firm) and deserts.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Okay, so glad you chose firm and not silken!

http://hubpages.com/hub/How_to_Cook_Tofu_Like_the_Pros

I use the above method and it works PERFECTLY!!! The press part is super important! I will use like 2 kitchen towels on top and 2 on the bottom and stick a frying pan loaded with canned veggies/books/heavy stuff for minimum 20 minutes.
  • Brandily1
    Options
    I just bought some tofu, which I have never had before so I don't know if I like it, and I love hot sauce and put it on practically anything; so I was wondering if tofu and hot sauce mix well or if I should stick with marinade type stuff

Thank you! :)

omg, i've been eating everything with hot sauce lately too!
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Freezing and defrosting tofu and then squeezing out the water completely changes the texture and makes it so much more awesome! It goes from quite soft to a bit more chewy, which makes it a lot easier to handle when you cook it. So - freeze it first! (Unless you want to use for stuff like miso soup or if you want to puree it, of course).

Once it's defrosted and squeezed (I defrost it in a bowl of hot water sometimes when I'm impatient) you can drizzle it with a bit of soy sauce (to give it some flavour, otherwise it's pretty bland) and fry or grill it. I'm pretty sure that would be awesome with hot sauce... or sweet chili sauce!

Hm.

Hungry.
  • beezipper
    beezipper Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite things is to pan fry tofu (either dry or with a little cooking spray) and throw some good hot sauce on it! I don't usually press mine, I just use the extra firm and cut it into really small triangles, a little less than half an inch thick and probably an inch on each side. If you dry fry over low heat, your little triangles should turn out golden and chewy. Good stuff!