fasting and working out

Options
hello there. well i am going on a 7 day fruits and veggie fast for spiritual growth and self discipline for better eating habits. i am currently doing insanity and my husband says that i wont be able to work out intense with hardly any food in me.....i think he is wrong. lol.....

fruits and veggies have the nutrients and calories so its not like i am going to starve myself, yea i might not have protein shakes or meat, or what not, but veggies have some protein, some carbs, so again, its only for a week and its not like this is a life change. what do you guys think??

thanks

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong, but I am under the impression that your body needs protein to help process the carbs you intake. Protein from fruits and veggies is minimal at best. Maybe you can add some beans to your fast to get atleast a little protein?

I, personally, get headaches if I don't eat enough protein!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Only because you asked, I'm with your husband on this one.
    It's great to add more veggies and fruit for your dietary intake, but to limit yourself to just these? I just think it's not such a good idea, even if it is for a week. You can cut out meat, but I'd turn to nuts or something to make up for it.

I'd say listen to your husband.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with that eating plan, but since you just did P90X I am wondering what are your fitness goals. Did you do P90X to build muscle?
  • nicoleg98
    Options
    I am no expert, however I would think your body would feel better with at least a protien shake once a day. Fruits and Veggies yes are wonderful your body however if your not used to a veggie lifestyle it might come as a shock to your body, and might feel weak after a hard workout, or a busy day. Cutting back on so much all at once can create headachs and create flusterness. Like I said I am no expert, just a thought.

Nicole
  • sheamc64
    Options
    Just listen to your body. You will know if your exercising too much. Good Luck.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I suppose it is just a week. Try it and see if you have enough energy to get through your workouts and if it effects your energy level during the day. You can be our lab rat in this little experiment! :laugh:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's all a question about available fuel, and no one can predict how you will react. If you are not taking in enough calories and you deplete your glycogen stores, then you will have difficulty completing intense workouts. It also depends on how hard you work out.

You might be fine, you might have difficulty completing the workouts or as the week goes on. You might pass out on the floor.
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I just got done doing the Shakeology 3 day cleanse, which was Shakeology 3 times a day, fruit, and a large salad at dinner with some protein. The people who came up with the cleanse specifically said not to do it while doing P90X or Insanity. At such a low calorie level you won't have the energy to do your workout and may do harm. I did continue to do Slim in 6 and wasn't even sure I would have energy for her cardio portion. I did though. I would recommend that you don't try to do Insanity during your fast.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Odds are you're going to make yourself very sick.

Before you do anything radical like that you should definitely talk to your doctor.
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    Hmmm....

I know w/ the Insanity cal intake formula it says to intake 2130 cals.

Do the formula in the book and see what it tells you.

Insanity is def a workout program where you do need to eat.

Is it possible to wait and try to do the fast during recovery week?!? It's not as intense as the other workouts

I def don't want you to take a break from Insanity, so you can join the Insanity T-Shirt club! LOL
  • willimh
    willimh Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Well, Im with your husband too. You will not be eating enough to do that type of intense work out. Our church did that type of fast for 21 days but, we were able to do nuts as well and that helps with the protein. Be careful cause you don't want your body to go into starvation mode because of to much exercise and not enough food to fuel the body. I would suggest walking for those 7 days while you are fasting.
  • edorice
    Options
    Your plan doesn't have any healthy fats. Omega 3 supplements and almonds would be a good addition.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    hello there. well i am going on a 7 day fruits and veggie fast for spiritual growth and self discipline for better eating habits. i am currently doing insanity and my husband says that i wont be able to work out intense with hardly any food in me.....i think he is wrong. lol.....

fruits and veggies have the nutrients and calories so its not like i am going to starve myself, yea i might not have protein shakes or meat, or what not, but veggies have some protein, some carbs, so again, its only for a week and its not like this is a life change. what do you guys think??

thanks

I've been on a seven day fruit only diet years ago and this is what happened:

I lost 14lb in a week
    The weight went back on at the rate of 2lb per day until it was back to what it was before seven days later
    I was ravenous all week

Let me advise you on what may happen to you

You will not have enough energy to work out, although fruit and veg do contain some carbs, it will not be enough to keep you going, eventually, you will flake out. Although fruit and veg contain vitamins and lots of them, vitamins do not give you energy, they give you nutrients. It is carbs that give you energy and there is not enough carbs there for workouts with just fruit and veg.

You need protein if you are working out or doing exercise sessions. Without protein, your body will have nothing to repair itself with - after every single exercise/workout session, you body repairs tiny tears in your muscle fibres, without this protein, you could end up injured in less than a week. If you intend to do this what you are thinking of doing, leave out the workouts and exercise until you start eating properly again..

Be careful x
  • If you are going on a "fast" for spiritual growth please make sure you are following some kind of guideline. If it's the "Daniel-Fast" there is actually a cookbook that will make sure you are getting the essential vitamins, nutrients, proteins, carbs etc that you need for your body. Many people assume when you fast that you are decreasing the amount of food you take in daily.

IF, and I boldly state IF you are fasting properly (if I can say that) you will eat what your body needs and consume the proper amount of food per meal. Is your fast allowing you the essential whole grains like Oats? Because you could have oatmeal with fruit and all natural peanut butter in it and be well fed for breakfast. Additionally you could have a salad with soy nuts, avocado and plenty of other healthy toppings and meet your daily requirements.

I have been on a 21 Day Daniel Fast and maintained my daily caloric intake and saw nothing but tremendous benefits physically and more importantly spiritually. I teach fitness classes so I know first hand what was required of me physically, and many of my classes are very P90x-like. The issue that most of us have with eating healthy and exercise is that our first assumption is that eating healthy means eating less. It's not so, in part maybe, but the whole makeup of eating healthy is eating less of the bad stuff and more of the good stuff.

I pray that you are doing this fast for spiritual growth not as a diet plan. God bless your efforts, may we all gain understanding in whatever we are doing!
  • luvz2bfitMOM
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for all your responses. I have done Daniel's fast with my church before as well. This is only for spiritual reasons and nothing more. Fruit and veggie diet alone as a diet I believe is not wise bc overall its not healthy. God made Yummy carbs like potatoes and brown rice and nuts and beans, but also very filling so I don't really feel like its a fast when I eat those on a normal basis.
    It is recovery week now but next week is max so yea problem not the best timing lol. I could do another extra recover week with walking or I can jus add beans and nuts and brown rice to my fast. Thanks again for all your support and concerns :)
  • edorice
    Options
    What if you did another recovery week to coincide with your fast. The Max workouts are going to be VERY taxing girl.
  • edorice
    Options
    The issue that most of us have with eating healthy and exercise is that our first assumption is that eating healthy means eating less. It's not so, in part maybe, but the whole makeup of eating healthy is eating less of the bad stuff and more of the good stuff.

I wish someone would start a topic on that.
  • clipsychic
    Options
    tagging for later.
  • The issue that most of us have with eating healthy and exercise is that our first assumption is that eating healthy means eating less. It's not so, in part maybe, but the whole makeup of eating healthy is eating less of the bad stuff and more of the good stuff.

I wish someone would start a topic on that.

i will gladly start a topic on that. I think we grew up in a society that gave us simple math that said "Eat less weigh less" but countless studies prove that we actually need to eat more to weigh less...but it goes without saying, we must understand how to do that. I will start a discussion!