BMR & TDEE

Options
You seem seem very knowledgable on this stuff. I was reading a dfferent post and found out what my problem is. I don;t think I am eating enough. SO I did what the person said and Calculated my BMR and TDEE on the website they provided. My results were. BMR 1554 and TDEE was 2680. So my question is.. (this may sound dumb) how many calories do I need to eat in a day?

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If your TDEE is 2680, that's what you'd maintain your weight on.

If your BMR is 1554, that's how many calories your body would need to survive if you were in a coma.

If you eat 500 calories a day less than your TDEE: 2680-500=2180 you will lose 1lb a week.

It isn't recommended to eat less than your BMR as it increases the ratio in which you lose lean muscle mass to fat.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    TDEE-20%= about 2150 for healthy fat loss.
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    If your TDEE is 2680, that's that you'd maintain your weight on.

If your BMR is 1554, that's how many calories your body would need to survive if you were in a coma.

If you eat 500 calories a day less than your TDEE: 2680-500=2180 you will lose 1lb a week.

It isn't recommended to eat less than your BMR as it increases the ratio in which you lose lean muscle mass to fat.

Thank you!! I've been reading so much lately about eating more calories, TDEE and BMR that I swear my head is spinning. This puts it in layman's terms.
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

^^^^ THIS.....two additional thoughts to consider....make sure you are calculating that TDEE with accurate exercise (light vs moderate) so it knows how many calories you need to run your body from day to day .......AND when you eat those "extra" calories make them healthy.....don't fill the extra calories with crappy food....fill it with fruits,veggies, lean meats/fish, and nuts. :)
  • princesswarrior1116
    princesswarrior1116 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    How does one figure out their TDEE or BMR?
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Also remember your exercise is already figured in so don't eat back your exercise calories.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    How does one figure out their TDEE or BMR?

There are several calculators out there:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    http://iifym.com (and use the IIFYM calculator)
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

Just be sure to be honest about your activity level
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You seem seem very knowledgable on this stuff. I was reading a dfferent post and found out what my problem is. I don;t think I am eating enough. SO I did what the person said and Calculated my BMR and TDEE on the website they provided. My results were. BMR 1554 and TDEE was 2680. So my question is.. (this may sound dumb) how many calories do I need to eat in a day?

Anywhere between 1554 and 2680 is a good place to start, then after month of careful tracking, adjust as necessary. If you are exercising daily, then maybe between 2100-2300, or if not, then maybe 1800-1900. But pick a place to start and see how it works out for you.
  • mom2hailey
    mom2hailey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank u everyone. I walk everyday and I do the elliptical every day for about an hour. I have been doing the 1200 cal and I was losing but I am stuck at the same weight for weeks but my body fat percentage keeps going up as my weight goes down so I knew i wasnt doing something right.
  • princesswarrior1116
    princesswarrior1116 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

^^^^ THIS.....two additional thoughts to consider....make sure you are calculating that TDEE with accurate exercise (light vs moderate) so it knows how many calories you need to run your body from day to day .......AND when you eat those "extra" calories make them healthy.....don't fill the extra calories with crappy food....fill it with fruits,veggies, lean meats/fish, and nuts. :)

Ah, thank you for this information. The other stuff I have read about both BMR and TDEE have been confusing. Obviously, no one wants to lose lean muscle mass. I've been eating between 1200 and around 1500 per day and slowly losing weight. I may need to rethink this as I am working out (with weights and running) like a maniac 6 to 7 days per week.

Again, thank you for the information. I want to do this right.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    So based on the calculations my BMR is 1596 and my TDEE is 2475 and that means I should be eating 1980 calories per day....I usually average anywhere from a little over 1200-1500 per day-I fear I may not be eating enough, is this the case? I eat 5 x's a day, and am usually not hungry but clearly I am coming in under my TDEE? I want to get the best result possible and do this right....
  • BRay216
    BRay216 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So based on the calculations my BMR is 1596 and my TDEE is 2475 and that means I should be eating 1980 calories per day....I usually average anywhere from a little over 1200-1500 per day-I fear I may not be eating enough, is this the case? I eat 5 x's a day, and am usually not hungry but clearly I am coming in under my TDEE? I want to get the best result possible and do this right....

Are you averaging 1200-1500 on your net calories? or is that before you put in your workouts? With TDEE you don't eat back your exercise calories. As long as you don't eat over your TDEE all the time (which would make you gain weight) your ok. They also say don't eat below your BMR as that number is what you need to keep your body function working. If you eat below your BMR there is a chance that you can slow down your metabolism making it harder to lose the weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    TDEE-20%= about 2150 for healthy fat loss.

This!