Plantar Fasciitis/ Running Help Needed

tlou5
tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
Hi- I am on week for of the C25K program and it was going well until this week. MASSIVE fasciitis pain after day 1 of week 4. I rested 2 days, it improved a fair amount and I completed day 2. Big increase in pain again. It's been four days and although pain has decreased it is still not to the point I feel up to completing the next run, but I don't want to quit either. Does anyone have advice on how to avoid this? Or to improve it?

Currently I am icing, stretching and I do run in good quality running shoes already. I AM overweight by a good 60 pounds still. Is this something that will improve after I have lost more and should I stop til I've lost another 20-30 pounds? If so what are other good options for exercise that don't stress the feet? Or neck (I have a herniated disk as well so lifting is out as well). It is VERY frustrating. I am biking because it is the only thing I can think of that doesn't bother neck or feet, but I am bored doing the same thing. Did step aerobics this am which my neck tolerates, but the feet didn't appreciate. Also, walking is ok but just is not really challenging in any sense.

Suggestions deeply appreciated and thanks in advance.

Replies

• NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    I had that a couple years ago...painful!!!! My sister, who is a sports medicine physical therapist had me roll my foot over a golf ball every couple hours. It is REALLY painful, but it is a great stretch. I still keep a golf ball at my desk at work for this. Just sit in a chair, and roll your arch over the ball. It does get better! You can use a frozen water bottle too.

I started swimming, and when the pain got better I used the elliptical for a while. I love swimming now! Good luck! :)

I forgot to add...Also, really stretch out your calf muscles and your achilles every day. I also found a splint to sleep with at night. Just google "plantar fasciitis splints" there are many to choose from. Unfortunately, this does take a while to recover from, so just keep up the icing, stretching and the golf ball!!!
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    I have been looking this up on the net and the info I have found suggests
    1 see a doc
    2 rest
    3 surprisingly this golf ball thing (roll it under the arch of the foot)
    4 rest
    5 ibuprofen
    6 rest
    7 more rest
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    The most important thing is to avoid hyper-extending the plantar fascia. To do this, you need to have good arch support. Ironically, putting softer padding in your shoes to avoid the heel pain may exacerbate the problem by making your foot more likely to flatten out from lack of support.

It's different for different folks, but even though I have always had the flat feet of a duck, I need high, rigid arches to avoid plantar fasciitis. It is the high rigid arches of Dansko/Sanita "Professionals" that make those clogs so popular among folks who work on their feet.

Don't try to "work through" the plantar fasciitis. It will only get worse. Support your arches all the time until your feet stop complaining -- that even means around the house.
  • I agree with the golf ball thing, though I used a tennis ball. I got some cheapo inserts from rite aid specifically for plantar fasciitis. I think they were 10 bones.
  • I have this as well...
    I ended up going to the doctor and getting a shot for it that didn't really help.
    Rolling a frozen water bottle (or golf ball I guess, I never did that though I just used the water bottle) helped out some.

Alegria shoes are really good for it. I am sure there are other brands as well.
    I did switch to Birkenstocks for daily use....which helped a ton.

Mine seems to be getting better, but then I have been a slacker and haven't worked out in a while. Starting that tomorrow so we will see how that goes.

GOOD LUCK!! It is super painful and I hope it gets better for you.
  • I have plantar facisitis also, and it kills me sometimes! It also takes time to recover from, so yeah, resting is going to be part of the routine to get this better. I totally agree that you need good arch support. I would recommend seeing a podistrist; if your budget does not allow, you could check for a Dr. Scholl's center at your local store (such as Meijer, or at drugstores) and try putting your feet on the tester to see which support device is right for you. It will test where the pressure is in your foot and recommend a support for your particular condition. Cost is about $50 around here so hopefully this will help.

My PF simmered down for a while and I was very happy about that! Then one morning I woke up with INCREDIBLE pain in the heel of my foot to the point that I could barely walk. What on earth???? I now wear a combination PF/heel pain support that helps a lot. have tried icing and ibuprofen and it is still troublesome after a month of working on this. Don't ever walk around barefoot! Your arch needs to be supported at all times when you are on your feet. Now you may wonder what a sore heel has to do with PF but as I found out it is simply that the PF has kind of moved to a different location, still the same issue per se, tight tendons in the foot and leg.

STRETCHING is by far the thing that has helped me the most. I found a website that shows several different types of stretching and oh man do they help. No clue why my muscles and tendons started to get tight again (really no significant difference in my normal routine) but let me tell you going through the videos and doing these stretches has helped TREMENDOUSLY! Remember that everything is attached to other muscles and tendons and so the actual problem may be somewhere else that is out of whack that is pulling on something that is pulling on something in your leg that makes your foot muscles/tendons hurt. I really recommend at least trying it even if you don't think it will work. You may be pleasantly surprised as I was. Here is it: http://www.do-it-yourself-joint-pain-relief.com/heel-pain-treatment.html

Keep up the stretching, the icing (frozen bottle of water works great for stretching and pain relief combined), use ibuprofen as neeeded, and if a golf ball is too hard at first try using a tennis ball for a slightly softer massage until your PF starts to improve. As far as running, my personal feeling is that you will aggravate this condition by pounding your feet on the pavement or ground by running. I know that walking can be boring when you would rather run but you can switch it up by stretching really well first, walking slowly to begin to stretch things out, then kick it up a notch by jogging a few hundred feet, walking some more, then stop and do some lunges (great stretches!) or something similar. Take a buddy with you when you walk, or you could take your cell phone and chat with someone while you walk, keeps you from being bored while you walk. (I do this a lot). Even take some great music along and jazz things up by walk/dancing, don't worry about what people will think because they don't pay as much attention to you as you would think. Besides if they do look at you, they will probably smile or chuckle, and you'll be giving them a lift too! :)

STRETCH! STRETCH! STRETCH! all through the day whenever you can. If you have a desk job keep a water bottle under your desk and roll your foot over it when you are sitting there, or try an angled wedge (check office supply catalogs) under your desk and keep your feet on it while you sit there. Keeps your foot muscles/tendons from tightening back up by preventing the tendons from hyperextending the wrong way. If you have to stand alot, use a cushioned mat whenever possible.

GOOD LUCK! it will get better as you take care of it and I am convinced (by my own experience) that as the weight comes off this will help the situation also.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    I have plantar facisitis also, and it kills me sometimes! It also takes time to recover from, so yeah, resting is going to be part of the routine to get this better. I totally agree that you need good arch support. I would recommend seeing a podistrist; if your budget does not allow, you could check for a Dr. Scholl's center at your local store (such as Meijer, or at drugstores) and try putting your feet on the tester to see which support device is right for you. It will test where the pressure is in your foot and recommend a support for your particular condition. Cost is about $50 around here so hopefully this will help.

My PF simmered down for a while and I was very happy about that! Then one morning I woke up with INCREDIBLE pain in the heel of my foot to the point that I could barely walk. What on earth???? I now wear a combination PF/heel pain support that helps a lot. have tried icing and ibuprofen and it is still troublesome after a month of working on this. Don't ever walk around barefoot! Your arch needs to be supported at all times when you are on your feet. Now you may wonder what a sore heel has to do with PF but as I found out it is simply that the PF has kind of moved to a different location, still the same issue per se, tight tendons in the foot and leg.

STRETCHING is by far the thing that has helped me the most. I found a website that shows several different types of stretching and oh man do they help. No clue why my muscles and tendons started to get tight again (really no significant difference in my normal routine) but let me tell you going through the videos and doing these stretches has helped TREMENDOUSLY! Remember that everything is attached to other muscles and tendons and so the actual problem may be somewhere else that is out of whack that is pulling on something that is pulling on something in your leg that makes your foot muscles/tendons hurt. I really recommend at least trying it even if you don't think it will work. You may be pleasantly surprised as I was. Here is it: http://www.do-it-yourself-joint-pain-relief.com/heel-pain-treatment.html

Keep up the stretching, the icing (frozen bottle of water works great for stretching and pain relief combined), use ibuprofen as neeeded, and if a golf ball is too hard at first try using a tennis ball for a slightly softer massage until your PF starts to improve. As far as running, my personal feeling is that you will aggravate this condition by pounding your feet on the pavement or ground by running. I know that walking can be boring when you would rather run but you can switch it up by stretching really well first, walking slowly to begin to stretch things out, then kick it up a notch by jogging a few hundred feet, walking some more, then stop and do some lunges (great stretches!) or something similar. Take a buddy with you when you walk, or you could take your cell phone and chat with someone while you walk, keeps you from being bored while you walk. (I do this a lot). Even take some great music along and jazz things up by walk/dancing, don't worry about what people will think because they don't pay as much attention to you as you would think. Besides if they do look at you, they will probably smile or chuckle, and you'll be giving them a lift too! :)

STRETCH! STRETCH! STRETCH! all through the day whenever you can. If you have a desk job keep a water bottle under your desk and roll your foot over it when you are sitting there, or try an angled wedge (check office supply catalogs) under your desk and keep your feet on it while you sit there. Keeps your foot muscles/tendons from tightening back up by preventing the tendons from hyperextending the wrong way. If you have to stand alot, use a cushioned mat whenever possible.

GOOD LUCK! it will get better as you take care of it and I am convinced (by my own experience) that as the weight comes off this will help the situation also.

Thanks will definitely check out the web site for alternate stretches and also look into some supports for shoes.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    The best thing you can do is wear a night splint when you sleep. I got one at CVS for about $25.
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Switched to Birkenstocks about 15 years ago. I stretch EVERY morning of my life before getting out of bed. No more problems.

My Birks mean everything to my foot comfort.