New Breakfast Ideas

Options
GuamGrly
GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
Ok team...I need your help. I have gotten into a rut of eating instant oatmeal every morning. It works out cause its only 150 calories and I'm on a 1200 calorie diet but I am getting tired of it already. I need some recipes for breakfast that are fast, easy, and low in calories. Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• KelliB25
    Options
    One of my favorite thing for breakfast is the FAGE Total 0% Greek Strained Yougart with two packets of Splenda mixed in. 60 Calories and 15 grams of protien!!! Its really filling and yummy. You can even mix in some granola or fresh fruit to change it up.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    One a side note, go to old fasion, it cooks in almost the same amount of time but lots less sugar.

As for my quicky breakfast tricks, l do 2 things. when in a real rush, I always keep slimfast on stock but cause of a lot of sugar content, do not use it as much as I use to.

Lately, I been cooking rice at night and after it is done, I add fat free milk just enough give it the the texture I like. I also add my splenda which is my favorite sweetner. In the morning, I add my cal free butter spray and it ready to eat. you can warm it up if you want, but to me, it taste nice cold .
  • chelseyq7
    chelseyq7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like to do an english muffin (Thomas 100 Calorie) with the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray (0 Calories) and some sugar free jelly (usually around 25 calories).

Also a good weekend treat is the english muffin with egg beaters (30 Calories) and a slice of low fat canadian bacon (50 calories) and laughing cow cheese (35 calories). The best fake McMuffin you can make...

Good luck.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters in a tortilla with some salsa. Maybe some turkey breakfast sausage. (Not sure how many calories are in those, I don't eat them but they sound like they would go well in that!)
    Or whole egg in place of the Egg Beaters
  • liztaegel
    liztaegel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    All total these breakfast items take 5-10 min prep. I eat them prob faster.

Try 1/4 to 1/2 grapefruit cut up the night before and then refrigerated. Eat with some 1/4-1/2 cup low- or non-fat greek yogurt for protein. 70-150 calories all total. Or enjoy it plain, and have a snack later on.

Or, an egg white or two with maybe a sprinkle of feta cheese and a little diced tomato (put all in same bowl and microwave 45-70 seconds) on a slice of whole wheat bread. Egg whites are 17 calories, vs 70 for the whole egg, with the same amount of protein. Feta cheese is low-calorie and will provide you with essential fats. Nature's Promise wheat bread is only 90 calories, and gives you the carbs necessary to balance the protein in the egg. 110-150 calories. (Tomato calories are negligible and I don't count them).

Aaaand: who says you can't have your turkey salad leftovers for breakfast? :happy:
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I made a mushroom omelet this morning that came out to almost 300 calories (2 eggs, 1 oz lowfat cheese, and a bit of butter in there with the mushrooms). You could easily modify that to make it a little healthier -- just do 1 egg and 2 egg whites, about 1/2 the cheese and leave out the butter for sauteeing mushrooms (which I realized afterwards I didn't really need). That would be 150-200 calories and it was really good and filling.

Besides that I usually rely on smoothies, old fashioned oats or fruit/cheese. I've been in a bit of a rut lately myself. I think I am going to try some different oatmeal toppings and see if that helps too (baked apples.... yum....)
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Go to www.hungry-girl.com and search for Egg Mug. Basically Egg Beaters done in microwave with laughing cow light cheese and/or other ingredients - quick and easy - and YUMMY. I need my protein in the morning. I also do 100 Cal english muffin with canadian bacon and egg beaters with the laughing cow light cheese as a spread. I am watching cholesterol - works for me.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Smoothies! I had been eating oatmeal for breakfast for quite awhile and got sick of it as well. I've turned to smoothies, they are yummy. I might start to hard boil some eggs and bring a couple with me for breakfast.

I like the english muffin ideas although I have yet to actually get them. My mom always has them around her house so I like them when we are there.
  • Cindy_V32
    Cindy_V32 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I MIGHT HAVE TO TRY SMOOTHIES I ALSO EAT OATMEAl ALOMOST EVERY MORNING AND IT'S STARTING TO GET OLD. THANKS FOR THE IDEA.
  • rosef17
    Options
    Scrambled egg white on either a soft tortillo or arnold's sandwich thin. I mix up what I put in the egg white, alternate veggies, 1 slice turkey bacon crumbled etc so there is variety I buy the liquid egg whites in a carton, right next to egg beaters in the store
  • rosef17
    Options
    Scrambled egg white on either a soft tortillo or arnold's sandwich thin. I mix up what I put in the egg white, alternate veggies, 1 slice turkey bacon crumbled etc so there is variety I buy the liquid egg whites in a carton, right next to egg beaters in the store
  • Chrissun
    Options
    French Toast...make it ahead of time. Store in fridge or freezer. Warm in toaster or toaster oven.
    Sarah Lee has some 45 cal bread, also use egg whites or egg beaters and skim milk along with vanilla and cinnamon whisked in.
    You could even sandwich with PB or Canadian bacon and skip the syrup.
  • sassypants68
    sassypants68 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    All my life my favorite breakfast has been cereal. Diabetes ruined that, so now my favorite "go-to" breakfast is 1/2 cup 1% milkfat cottage cheese either mixed with cinnamon and a little sweet n' low or mixed with mandarin oranges in no-sugar added juice that has been drained away.
  • army_munchkin
    Options
    i like to get most of the food groups in for breakfast (the most important meal of the day LOL) I start with 2 or 3 hard boiled eggs-discarding the yolk- only 17 cal each, then I have a fruit, a piece of whole wheat toast with I can't believe its not butter spray -80 cal for toast 0 cal for "butter" and a glass of milk!!! I ALWAYS have the eggs because they are a great protein and low cal but by varying the fruit, and trading the toast for a low cal waffle or small bowl of cereal adds variety to my routine :)
  • mountainmanjake
    mountainmanjake Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've been doing egg white omelets quite a bit lately. two egg whites, some kind of protein, leftover chicken breast, sliced lunch meat turkey breast... whatever preferrably something lean of course! I've been using a 2% swiss cheese slice, but i think i'm going to try some feta when i get a chance. i like to get some kind of veggie in there too if i can... leftover broccoli, peppers, maybe some fresh salsa. I like to give it a little squirt of Siracha, and I always put a little bit of cayenne pepper in the egg whites before beating them, spicy foods help jump start your metabolism, and cayenne pepper contains capsasin (sp?) which is an appetite suppressant as well! I never use butter for the pan, always pam, or olive oil (olive oil adds some cals but is reeeeaally good for you in moderation, lots of good fats!) Usually these end up at around 150-250 cals depending on your personal interpretation. Makes a small omelet, i use a small saute pan, and accompany it with a cup of skim milk. Very satisfying and although its not a HUGE portion, you'll be perfectly satisfied as long as you have your mid morning snack! Get creative with it, or just use your leftovers! My dog LOVES it because he usually gets my egg yolks in his breakfast! MMMMMM!

On the go, I'm a fat free greek yogurt with fruit and granola guy, or fat free cottage cheese with fruit. Both go well with a LIGHT drizzle of honey or agave nectar!

~jake
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I work out in the mornings early so I can't get by on too few calories. Usually I have Bolthouse Farms Green Goodness or Naked Food Juice's Superfood (looks weird tastes great!) then go for my morning bike ride, when I get back I eat a hard boiled egg (whole unless I'm have something big and highly caloric scheduled later in the day then I'll take out the yolk) and a medium sized banana. 320 calories total for that.

I also have made crustless quiche's which are basically omelets in a mini muffin pan. 5 eggs with 2-3 of the yolks removed, 2 tbs parmesian cheese and whatever veggies you have in your fridge (I like spinach, green peppers & mushrooms) mix it up with a tiny bit of skim milk (1-2 TBS) and pour it into a pam'd mini muffin tin and bake until golden brown at 350. usually these work out to be under 100 calories for 4 and I'll add half a whole grain english muffin (I like Ezekials, 80 calories in half and full of good stuff, keeps me full forever!)
  • SweetyGirl
    Options
    Check out this egg casserole recipe - many variations:

http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2006/01/breakfast-casserole-many-wayswho-knew.html

When I make the 10 egg version, 1/6 of the recipe has under 250 calories. It keeps a week in the refrigerator - very handy to nuke for 45 seconds, or eat cold out of hand. My favorite is to use minced ham, mushrooms, and halved grape tomatoes with shredded Mozzarella cheese and a little Parmesan. Add some basil to the eggs and it's great!

Good for South Beach Phase 1 for anyone who's doing SB. :flowerforyou:
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup eggbeaters- 30 cal (salt/pepper taste)
    1 veggie sausage patty- 80 cal
    1 bagel thin- 110 cal
    TOTAL: 220

I pour the eggbeaters in a mircowave safe bowl, crumble up the sausage patty and add it to the bowl and nuke it for aprox 45 seconds. I throw that on my bagel and enjoy a yummy warm breakfast sanwhich that really fills me up!
  • labordefam3
    Options
    I like to do 1/2 container of Dannon Light n Fit Vanilla Yogurt, with tbs of granola and some fruit mixed in. It's quick and tasty.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    This is more then 150 calories but will fill you up and satisfy you..Grano, which means "grain" in Italian, are the polished whole berries from durum semolina wheat. Look for them in health-food stores or Italian markets. If you can't find grano, try wheat berries, barley, or brown rice instead.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 parfait)

Ingredients
    1 cup uncooked grano
    12 cups water, divided
    1/4 cup orange blossom honey
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    4 cups plain 2% Greek-style yogurt
    2 cups fresh berries (such as blackberries, blueberries, or sliced strawberries)
    Preparation
    1. Soak grano in 6 cups water overnight. Drain. Place in a medium saucepan with remaining 6 cups water over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until grano is just tender. Drain well. Stir in honey and salt. Cool to room temperature.

2. Spoon 1/4 cup yogurt into each of 8 parfait glasses. Top yogurt with 3 tablespoons grano and 2 tablespoons berries. Repeat layers with the remaining ingredients.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    Fat:
    3.1g (sat 2.1g,mono 0.1g,poly 0.2g)
    Protein:
    14.1g
    Carbohydrate:
    38.9g
    Fiber:
    4.8g
    Cholesterol:
    7mg