Hi my name is Mary and I am really frustrated...

Options
I have been doing so well with my weight loss until the past 3 weeks I have just stalled out. I increased my exersise in hopes that would kick start my metabolism with no luck so far. I consume about 1000- 1200 calories a day and burn 950 calories exersising each day and still no weight loss in the past week.. I increased my exersise this week hoping to see some results and nothing. I sure could use some advice or help.
Thanks

Replies

• Sonflower
    Options
    I know this is a strange question, but are you eating enough protein? And another one one, Have you lost any inches? I would be happy with inches just as well as a weight loss..Are you drinking plenty of water also...

Keep trying, you know this is a great way to stay healthy so don't give up..
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    First think that jumped out at me is that you are not eating ENOUGH!!!! If you're only eating 1000-1200/day and burn about 950 cals/day, then you're only getting a net of 50-250 calories per day! Your body is probably starting to go into starvation mode and clinging onto weight because it's not getting enough nutrition.

PLEASE for your own sake, eat at least 1200 calories per day, PLUS at least half of your exercise calories. You may stay stalled for a few weeks, but once your body is convinced you're eating enough, it will start cooperating more.

Edited to add: it's hard to accept because our society equates weight loss with eating less, but many people have to learn to eat ENOUGH to lose weight successfully!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,756 Member
    Options
    I just want to strongly echo Trenton's suggestion of eating more. You're not eating enough to fuel your body for survival, let alone the extra you need for all that exercise. It is hard at first to wrap your head around eating more to lose weight, but it's true. Plus, you'll probably feel a heck of a lot better too! :smile:
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Please eat something. Your body needs more fuel than you are giving it.
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Wow not eatting enough hmmmm. I drink tons of water and I'm eatting lots of free food like salad with peppers, onions salsa black beans and I do add some cheese for fat. I eat fruit for breakfast with 2 cups of coffee and 16 oz of water. Dinner is also a salad. I do have a few chips with salsa as a snack as well. At the end of the night I will have a mixed drink rum and V*8splash which I found out is about 247 calories. Do I need to add carbs or protien you think? Any advice is helpful BTW I need to lose about 60 lbs but I set my goal for 25 right now trying to be real with my self.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Wow not eatting enough hmmmm. I drink tons of water and I'm eatting lots of free food like salad with peppers, onions salsa black beans and I do add some cheese for fat. I eat fruit for breakfast with 2 cups of coffee and 16 oz of water. Dinner is also a salad. I do have a few chips with salsa as a snack as well. At the end of the night I will have a mixed drink rum and V*8splash which I found out is about 247 calories. Do I need to add carbs or protien you think? Any advice is helpful BTW I need to lose about 60 lbs but I set my goal for 25 right now trying to be real with my self.

Yes - you need to add high quality protein, carbs AND FATS. Fats are not bad for you - there are "good" fats and "bad" fats. Here's my quick answer on what to eat:

Lean proteins (fish/turkey/chicken/lean beef/vegetarian protein), eggs, whole grains (oats, quinoa, etc),, nuts/seeds (good fats), olive oil (good fat), dairy, lots of fresh veggies (which you seems fine on), fruits (2-3 servings per day) and legumes (beans). Try to avoid processed foods - shop along the outside edges of the grocery stores mostly.

Feel free to look at my food diary.

As good as veggies are, you need to eat other things too! Protein, healthy carbs and healthy fats are your friends. For your info - I eat 40% carbs, 30% fats and 30% protein, eat 1200/day plus 50-75% of exercise calories and have steadily been losing weight. MFP gives you a default of 55% carbs, 30% fat and 15% protein - not enough protein in my opinion.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    Mary - seriously, maybe its time to give your body some fuel!

I burn 325 - 500 calories a day doing exercise.
    I eat 1500 - 1700 calories total
    And I've maintained a steady weight loss of 1.5 - 3 lbs a week for almost 3 months.

You should add some friends on the msg boards and then look at their food diaries. That's what I do. Its super helpful.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options

Feel free to look at my food diary.

ditto
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    You're eating 1000 cals a day and exercising off 900+ of them? Wow,

Your body thinks you've moved to Cambodia, and it's holding on to everything it can, getting ready for the next famine. I don't blame it, I would too.

Eat more, 'fore your hair falls out and your cycle stops. :-)

(Nice scooter BTW)
  • naguilar210
    Options
    First of all, try eating a bit more, MORE PROTEIN!
    Second, are you doing the same exercises all the time?
    Changing it up tricks my body when Im 'stuck' at the same weight.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    You're eating 1000 cals a day and exercising off 900+ of them? Wow,

Your body thinks you've moved to Cambodia, and it's holding on to everything it can, getting ready for the next famine. I don't blame it, I would too.

Eat more, 'fore your hair falls out and your cycle stops. :-)

(Nice scooter BTW)

With as much water as I'm drinking + LOL posts like this + almost 40 with two kids = I just peed myself
  • crperea
    Options
    I new at this, but relax.. It sounds like you are too stressed about it.. Enjoy! Drink a glass of wine and eat a good steak.. And in the morning you will have a fresh view on things..
  • OnMyWeigh
    OnMyWeigh Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a way to Quote everyone on this thread, they are right. 1200 calories is what you should "NET" (not consume and subsequently burn). Most people say Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince and Dinner like a Pauper, that's how I have my days broken out...I break down my calorie goal for each meal rather than a full day... Break fast is 450 calories, lunch 350 and Dinner 300 leaving me with 100 for an apple mid-day or evening.... those are days I don't workout. When I work out I have more to play or splurge with.

There have been several posts on this site regarding eating your workout calories....you might check into some of those... I will try to find the one I found most interesting and get you the link.

Best of luck to you...just please eat more!!!

edited to add link as promised... hope this helps, it sure gelped me!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • DKWaggoner
    Options
    Wow...so your leaving your body 50-100 calories a day! That is NOT enough! Please correct me if I am wrong fellow MFP members.But holy cow what is your body using for energy if your eating 1000 calories and burning 950?
  • Douniap
    Douniap Posts: 841
    Options
    You Are starving yourself and your body is shutting down!!!
    You need to add your exercise calories to your food (or at least eat 90% of them back). That's how you keep a balance and that's how you loose weight..
    As mentioned above, incorporate complex carbs, good fats and protein..
    Once you do that, you will start seeing results..
    To your health
  • Douniap
    Douniap Posts: 841
    Options
    First think that jumped out at me is that you are not eating ENOUGH!!!! If you're only eating 1000-1200/day and burn about 950 cals/day, then you're only getting a net of 50-250 calories per day! Your body is probably starting to go into starvation mode and clinging onto weight because it's not getting enough nutrition.

PLEASE for your own sake, eat at least 1200 calories per day, PLUS at least half of your exercise calories. You may stay stalled for a few weeks, but once your body is convinced you're eating enough, it will start cooperating more.

Edited to add: it's hard to accept because our society equates weight loss with eating less, but many people have to learn to eat ENOUGH to lose weight successfully!

Ditto :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    My friend, please pay attention to and heed the excellent advice offered by Trenton. You aren't doing everything wrong, but you ARE lacking two important foods. Protein and healthy fats! Trenton listed excellent examples of what types of foods you should eat to ensure proper protein and unsaturated fats. Your body will not get back to cooperating with you until you start eating those proteins and healthy fats!

Good luck! :)
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice I increased my intake to 1449 calories and my protein is at 49G which I think is ok? I really thought I was doing the right thing because I was losing. But for 3 weeks I have lost nothing so I increased my work out and decreased my food hoping to jump start my weight loss. I have added a Zumba class once a week to my exersise to mix it up a bit. Ihave an ellpitcal at home and use that mainly. I will add some free weights for toning. Also will keep my calories at around 1400??? All advice is helpful and wanted in a huge way. Thanks again and friend me if you want the more encouragement and advice I get the better.