Juicing For Weight Loss?? advice please

Options
I now weight 124lbs which for me it is good but I have seen a lot of people juicing for weight loss and have actually kept the weight off. I was doing herbalife but its getting to expensive but i will be continuing to use their protein mix but i will probably stop does anyone know where i can get a protein mix that has a lot of protein instead of 9 grams like the one I have been using?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    At 124 and a goal of losing 17 pounds..... How tall are you?

You can find many other sources of protein, rather than using the herbalife.

A calorie deficit is all that is needed for weight loss and juice fasts are not needed....
  • xXWisconsin
    Options
    im 5'1
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Just go to any wal-mart, drug store, or health food store and pick up a protein powder. Vanilla generally goes well with smoothies. The one I use has 30 grams per scoop and costs ~$15 for 2lbs.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Vega has a lot of protein, but a lot of shake mixes contain more protein...specifically recover shakes. However, the more proteins, the higher the calories.

I guess juicing is great if you are vitamin deficient, but you lose all of the filling fiber and they aren't shelf stable, so you cant make a large batch in advance. It would be better to just freeze the veggies over night, and then add them to a shake. Freezing the veggies breaks down the cell walls and helps them blend easier. I use vanilla shake mix and 1part root veggie, 1 part leafy green, and 1 part fruit in my shakes. My favorite is Strawberry/banana, beet, spinach. Kale, apple/banana, carrot is also good.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Is there an actual question here?
  • xXWisconsin
    Options
    Just go to any wal-mart, drug store, or health food store and pick up a protein powder. Vanilla generally goes well with smoothies. The one I use has 30 grams per scoop and costs ~$15 for 2lbs.
    does the stuff taste good though?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

The best tasting ones are ON and trutein (you can order samples online). But, I think Body Fortress tastes OK....it's not going to win any prizes but it's certainly tolerable and affordable. If you're mixing it with fruit to make a smoothie, the most important quality is how well it blends, more than the taste- they all taste similar if mixed up with fruit.
  • xXWisconsin
    Options

The best tasting ones are ON and trutein (you can order samples online). But, I think Body Fortress tastes OK....it's not going to win any prizes but it's certainly tolerable and affordable. If you're mixing it with fruit to make a smoothie, the most important quality is how well it blends, more than the taste- they all taste similar if mixed up with fruit.
    have you tried whey protein?
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My spouse and I juice nearly every morning for breakfast and then turn it into a protein smoothie. We use one we get at Trader Joe's for about $13 a can. It has 16g of protein and 130 calories per serving. (Trader Darwin whey vanilla). As far as the fiber goes we add the pulp in in place of thickening in soups and sauces so we pick it back up elsewhere in our diet. Goes really well in tomato sauces and most soups I have even mixed it into light cream cheese when I make veggie wraps.

So far just swapping the protein smoothie out for one meal and not actually juice fasting we are down a combined total of 25 lbs.
  • xXWisconsin
    Options
    My spouse and I juice nearly every morning for breakfast and then turn it into a protein smoothie. We use one we get at Trader Joe's for about $13 a can. It has 16g of protein and 130 calories per serving. (Trader Darwin whey vanilla). As far as the fiber goes we add the pulp in in place of thickening in soups and sauces so we pick it back up elsewhere in our diet. Goes really well in tomato sauces and most soups I have even mixed it into light cream cheese when I make veggie wraps.

So far just swapping the protein smoothie out for one meal and not actually juice fasting we are down a combined total of 25 lbs.
    how long have you been juicing for
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I now weight 124lbs which for me it is good but I have seen a lot of people juicing for weight loss and have actually kept the weight off. I was doing herbalife but its getting to expensive but i will be continuing to use their protein mix but i will probably stop does anyone know where i can get a protein mix that has a lot of protein instead of 9 grams like the one I have been using?
    Walmart 20$( In Canada that is) when it comes on special and its good tasting stuff.
    IMG_0095_zpsd9bba173.jpg
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

^ those ARE whey proteins.

Although I would ask why you'd rather go with this instead of eating real food?
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    About 6 weeks.
  • xXWisconsin
    Options

^ those ARE whey proteins.

Although I would ask why you'd rather go with this instead of eating real food?
    I feel like I over eat even though I have been eating healthy for the last four months so im getting tired of real food