Can I eat the calories I didn't eat yesterday?

Options
So I am new to this. I had 300 calories left over when I went to bed last night. I am starving today and have almost eaten all my calories for the day. I barely have any left for dinner. Can I eat the calories I didn't eat yesterday and still lose a pound this week?

Also, I see challenges on the message boards about losing 20 pounds in 4 or 6 weeks? How are these people doing it?

Thanks for your help. Danielle

Replies

• KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Oh how I WISH ... Sorry to say, but every day is a new day and a new reset .... but that's also a good thing when you go over.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Can you work in more exercise today to offset your calorie totals?
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    if that were the case, then I would eat the cals from last year as well. *wnik*
  • sgp329
    sgp329 Posts: 184
    Options

And that would make two of us :laugh:
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk, bike ride, pop in an exercise video - that will give you extra calories that you can eat. Sorry no taking from yest.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Actually yes you can. You just need a 3500 cal/week defecit to lose one pound. It is actually a good thing to fluctuate your calories- more than goal one day, less than goal another. It keeps your metabolism guesssing so your body doesn't know what's coming next. I used to be a nutritionist and this worked everytime when we had our patients on diets. It is also how I lost 12 lbs in 5 weeks. Good luck!
  • trickyfoxster710
    trickyfoxster710 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I agree with ashlee954. But about the 20+ lbs loss in a few weeks, a lot of these people are 100+ over weight so they lose really quickly in the beginning. Just remember this is not about every body else it is about you. Give yourself challenges and goals and always try and one up yourself and the lbs will come off!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Actually yes you can. You just need a 3500 cal/week defecit to lose one pound. It is actually a good thing to fluctuate your calories- more than goal one day, less than goal another. It keeps your metabolism guesssing so your body doesn't know what's coming next. I used to be a nutritionist and this worked everytime when we had our patients on diets. It is also how I lost 12 lbs in 5 weeks. Good luck!

i agree mathmatically it would even out
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options

And that would make two of us :laugh:

I had a stomach virus 2 years ago and I HAVE to been good for 5000 worth of chocolate :D
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Agreed with Ashlee954 as well. While I wouldn't say its ok to take leftover calories from last month, or even last week, it would be ok for yesterday. However, I don't think I would get in the habit of doing this as you can easily start wanting to eat more and go over more often.

I believe the WW system is set up to let you use points you've accumulated that week that you didn't use earlier that week. Same idea really, just in terms of calories.

If you can add more exercise, that would be your best way to go.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    As far as calories go, I look at each day as a new beginning, and I don't think you can eat the day before calories, or save up for a day in the future. But that's just my belief.

I've taken off 21 pounds in the last 5 weeks. This is how I did it....

I followed recommendations from my doctor only. I don't bother with any other diet methodology. (tried many in the past and failed.)

-I eat Breakfast, lunch dinner, and afternoon snack and a late evening snack.
    -Each meal is around 400cals, with snacks being 100-200 each. Total for the day averages around 1300-1500.
    -Every meal is 50% veggies, 25% carb, 25% lean protein.
    -I drink 10-14 cups of water a day. (anything else I drink I do not count as water, but quite frankly, I'm already in the bathroom so much that pop, teas, coffees etc do not interest me most days)
    -I keep away from caffiene and alcohol most days.
    -I exercise every day, even if its only 15 minutes. Although most days are between 45minutes - 1 hour.

Also, I listen to my body, if I'm tired I try to rest more. If I'm hungry I eat something (usually veggies).

So far its working. I've dropped a lot of weight, feel great, and never feel hungry or deprived. this is looking like the first sustainable plan I've ever been on - I am sincerely hoping that turns out to be true.

Best wishes on your weight loss journey!!!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I agree with Ashlee too. It is all about a deficit over a week of time... so if I go a hundred calories over or so on one day but I am under the rest of the week, I don't worry about it. I also agree that it is a good idea to get in some exercise as a first step. Exercising always makes me seem to be *less* hungry too.

I don't know how those people on the challenges do it either... I have over 100 pounds to lose too but it took me 4 months to lose 20 pounds (I do have settings at 1 lb/week but usually eat under, so theoretically I should be losing about 1.5/week... yeah, right, not happening).
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I agree with a few of the people above - as long as it's from the day before, and you're starving, I would go ahead and eat those cals, or a portion of them. Try to get high-protein foods in (you'll need less to make you feel more full) and high-fiber healthy choices, and by all means, it's early in the day, exercise to earn more if you can (which means you'd eat less of yesterday's cals!).

As for the high weight losses per week, as mentioned above, many people have lots of weight to lose.... if you're not too far off your goals, you're going to have slower progress than someone else may have who is starting off with a lot to lose. The important thing is to lose YOUR weight in the healthiest way possible (1/2 to 2 lbs a week), as you'll keep it off and do much better that way.

Hang in there, and keep trying :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yes, I tend to do it about once a week or so. I wouldn't go back more than a day, and I'll only go over if my body is really telling me it's hungry. Don't make a habit of it, but don't stress over it either. It does average out.
  • thedeepblue
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice Everyone. I do plan to workout today. I workout 5 times a week for an hour. That will get me 400 extra calories for today.

Some of your comments are really funny.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options

This! I agree! Jillian Michaels says this too, in one of her books. Or at least she says to focus on weekly calories, and divide them up so you are not taking in exactly the same each day.
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

I agree.. Weight watchers had a similar idea when they introduced their flex plan. You had 35 additional points to use during the week for either one big meal or broken up over the week or not at all. but you couldn't carry over points week to week. Each new week it reset. Used or not used. You can't stockpile over periods of time.

I am also going to be adding my height to my signature.. Good IDEA! I often wonder myself.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I also agree with ashlee, trickyfoxster, jrich and others.

It's called zigzagging your calories.

For a rough example, say you are given 1500 a day...

you could do 1500, 1200, 1600, 1300, 1800, 1400, 1700 in a week's time. That is still 1500 a day, but if you aren't as hungry one day and really hungry another , this works great.
    It also shakes things up a bit to help prevent plateaus.
    You do NOT want to do the same thing day in and day out with your eating OR your exercise.

As long as you stay around the right number on AVERAGE, then you will still be losing over time.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't reset at midnight (or whenever you go to bed). I agree that you can't keep track and eat calories from weeks ago, but if you're under that much one day (300 is a lot!) then you shouldn't feel guilty about eating a little extra the next, especially if you're eating healthy foods. The important thing is that you consistently stay within a reasonable calorie range (I try for +/- 50 to 100 of my goal, including most of my exercise calories). I try not to leave too many calories available, but I also try not to go over by too many. You're rarely going to eat exactly your goal - it all averages out.
  • thedeepblue
    Options
    I also agree with ashlee, trickyfoxster, jrich and others.

It's called zigzagging your calories.

For a rough example, say you are given 1500 a day...

you could do 1500, 1200, 1600, 1300, 1800, 1400, 1700 in a week's time. That is still 1500 a day, but if you aren't as hungry one day and really hungry another , this works great.
    It also shakes things up a bit to help prevent plateaus.
    You do NOT want to do the same thing day in and day out with your eating OR your exercise.

As long as you stay around the right number on AVERAGE, then you will still be losing over time.

This sounds like really good advice!