After Not Eating Ice Cream for 3 Mos, It Makes Me Sick?

Options
I ate ice cream for the first time last night in about three months, celebrating my Mom's birthday, and it tasted a little weird to me. Like it was OK, but I just wasn't into eating it. Then I got really sick an hour afterwards.

I have been eating much better in the last few months with a lot less sugar, so I thought maybe the sugar made me sick? I'd say the fat, but I often eat fatty foods such as guacamole or butter, so I don't think it's that. Had a churning stomach and an unhappy hour in the bathroom. Feel much better this morning.

Anyone else had any weird reactions to previously pleasant foods?

Replies

• hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that I haven't eaten anything from Burger King or McDonalds in a long long time...if I even smell the stuff I get sick. Not eating it for a long period of time could have played a part.

Do you eat much dairy in general?
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Curious to see responses to this. I allow myself a "free day" (this works great for me, helps me stay on track long-term). I always eat way too much on my free days, and usually feel ok. Definitely not as good as a healthy day - a little bloated and full, but ok. But when I overdo it on dairy, I feel terrible - like the OP described. I'm wondering if dairy is the culprit also.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I drink an occasional glass of nonfat milk, although I'm now trying to drink a little more because I'm trying to get pregnant (and dairy is recommended if I do get pregnant.) Nonfat milk doesn't affect me that much, although I notice a little gassiness, but cheese and butter have zero effect on me. Ice cream used to have zero effect on me, too.
  • echelonokie
    Options
    I can tell you this from my perspective. After going off carbs for several days, I've discovered that I may very well have a gluten sensitivity. After taking carbs and crap from my diet, my legs have stopped swelling and my IBS has went by the wayside.

It's quite possible that you are just finding out that you have an underlying allergy to ice cream. When I hit 40 (nearly to the day) I went from being able to have a huge glass of milk with breakfast to it doing a number on my stomach then to a full allergy. I can eat cheese, but milk (whole, low fat, etc) all produce nasty effects such as nausea, itching in my throat, phlegm, etc. It's not pretty, so as much as I LOVE ice cream, I know that even a small amount can cause a mess.

I suggest a test. Do a few days of clean eating again, get the ice cream completely from your system, then try a small amount again, maybe a different brand. See how you feel. If you feel like ick again, you're probably looking at a true allergy.
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Eastern_Echo23 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I moved to germany about a year and a quarter ago. There is no fast food really by where i live (45 minutes walk) and I don't own a car so it's not worth the bus fair to go that far. I think its been about a year since I ate there... however, i do think i got french fries there once around christmas time when we were super busy. Recently I ate there and got really sick... like puking in the toilet sick... my friends think i got food poisoning. However, i felt sick just breathing the air there. I think its just how your body adapts to not eating a certain substance
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    This is normal. After eating healthy for 3 months your body is like wth are you giving me! When i eat too much sugar i get this way or i get totally hungover feeling. Fast food will give me a stomach ache for hours. Pizza too but i cant give that up lol
  • candylilacs
    Options
    Thanks, all! I'm not going to totally give up on ice cream, but if this happens again, I may have to. I have noticed that I don't have as much of a sweet tooth now.
  • fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    This happened to me and man it was not fun. I hadn't had it in months and took the kids for ice cream. I had a soft-serve cup. Not much, but I felt awful afterward.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Nope, but congratulations to you. At least you don't have to worry about eating too much ice cream.

Maybe it was the ice cream/lactose?

ETA: Also, I hardly ever eat ice cream. Is it not normal to go 3 months without eating ice cream? Do people eat it that often? I see that like cake, a treat that you shouldn't indulge in often.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    If ice cream made me sick, I'd want to die of sadness.

I've read this type complaint before and I don't understand it. I've not had food make me sick ever - unless it was contaminated in some way.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen when I ha ice cream. For the last year I have made my own ice cream and when I tried store bought it was way too sweet.
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Ice cream used to be one of my favourite things. It's been 10 years since my big weight loss and even though I haven't been avoiding ice cream in particular I simply stopped finding it particularly enjoyable - especially the vanilla one that gives me a bit of a stomach ache. For reference, I do eat a lot of dairy - yoghurt, milk or cheese almost every day.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    This has never happened to me. Also if something tastes funny why keep eating it?
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Had ice cream for the first time in 5 months since losing weight. It tasted so good, I had seconds. It was terrific!

Had restaurant pizza for the first time in 6 months since my weight loss. It was excellent. It's good that I ordered a small one or else I would have really overeaten, it was so good.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy causes the taste buds to change. Which is great .
  • candylilacs
    Options
    ETA: Also, I hardly ever eat ice cream. Is it not normal to go 3 months without eating ice cream? Do people eat it that often? I see that like cake, a treat that you shouldn't indulge in often.

Well earlier this year, I was eating ice cream at least once a week. I'm not a big cake fan either. It just never is that good to me. Now bread or pasta...oh, man, I understand that very well. And apparently I have no such aversion to those.
  • NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I get like this too with certain ice cream. When I was in the US, I could eat Baskin Robins ice cream without a problem, but anything from Cold Stone and I had to race to the bathroom. I think it has to do with fat content but I'm not sure since I was able to eat fast food and other fatty foods without a problem. Also, regular/full fat milk has the same affect on me as well as too much cheese. Might also be a lactose issue but no idea since I can have skim milk, most cheeses in moderation, yogurt, etc without a problem.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I've found that I want a smaller portion of ice cream now, but it doesn't make me sick, it still tastes good.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If it tasted weird, it might be some weird ice cream that made you sick.

I got a bit bloated the first time I got ice cream after 3 months, but it was an ice cream cake from dq... not exactly the smallest/healthiest type out there.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    The risk you run with diets that eliminate foods completely. Because your body is an amazing machine and will adapt to most things you feed it. I'm guessing your lactose intolerance became more prominent because the body was not anticipating the ice cream comeback. It's natural for most Human to develop lactose intolerance as we age but the body deals with it because we keep consuming milk products.

So you can gradually eat ice cream again if you ease into it.