Is there anything wrong?

Options
Hey all im 18 male, wondering if its enough workout (home only) side to side pushups, mountain climbers, jackknives.. I usually workout around 8 am for 25 min. I eat salad, some no fat yogurts, the rest fruits and veggies and sometimes meat. However, with this new "program" myfitnesspal, it tells me to eat much more calories..

I weight 75kg
My height is 175cm

It tells me to consume 1200 every day, is it normal? Also, if I workout it says I need even more calories.. so my name must be 1200 to get to 68 kg? Besides, I want to brow muscles.. so I am not sure if i do enough workout, currently got no much money so gym is off the table for now.

Thanks a lot!

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    No way 1200 is normal. That's too small for a male. Your BMR is around 1800. You shouldn't eat less than this; period. If you do, your body is going to start taking shortcuts in order to function and can eat away at not only fat, but muscle too.

I suggest calculating your TDEE, using the link below. This incorporates workout calories, and allows you to choose to 'bulk' if you like in order to gain muscle, although I think you may need to increase your muscle workouts if this is your goal (I am no expert).

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I can tell you one thing for sure. If you aren't consuming enough calories you aren't going to grow any muscle. 1200 calories doesn't seem like it would be enough for you to put on any muscle weight. However, at 1200 calories I think you could walk for 10 minutes and lose weight.

1200 may be the amount you need to consume to lose weight. If you exercise you generally need to consume a little more calories. It gives you 1200 as a goal to maintain a certain caloric deficit. If you exercise that deficit increases so it will tell you to eat more calories to compensate.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I agree that 1200 is not normal - it's not nearly enough! You should be eating a lot more - 1200 is considered the bare minimum for women, and even that is too low for many of us.

Food is fuel, man - eat!'

Edited to add: I'm a 45 year old chick and I did not grow these arm muscles on 1200 cals a day! :wink:
  • nickyvw
    nickyvw Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to be eating much more than this. I am 5'0" and weigh 135 lbs. I eat much more than that!
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    the minim for a Woman is 1200 calories but for a man its 1500. You need to eat more. I eat 1500 plus exercise calories and I lose every week as long as I don't go over.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You should probably be eating at least twice that much.