Heart rate/ calorie monitor

Options
Looking for a heart rate monitor that let's you know what calories you have burned. I think some days I burn more calories than the machines say or less than what Mfp calculates. So I hoped that I could find a heart monitor that told me exactly what calories I burned. I want something simple. Calculates my calories burned by use of my heart rate. I would prefer an arm band but willing to do wrist. Avoiding the chest straps. Already feel strapped down in my stupid sports bra let's not add to the irritation.

So what do you recommend? And why? Bells and whistles are not needed. I already have my flex for that.

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Looking for a heart rate monitor that let's you know what calories you have burned. I think some days I burn more calories than the machines say or less than what Mfp calculates. So I hoped that I could find a heart monitor that told me exactly what calories I burned. I want something simple. Calculates my calories burned by use of my heart rate. I would prefer an arm band but willing to do wrist. Avoiding the chest straps. Already feel strapped down in my stupid sports bra let's not add to the irritation.

So what do you recommend? And why? Bells and whistles are not needed. I already have my flex for that.

I recommend that you find a heart rate monitor that has a chest strap. Why would you measure your hear rate at your wrist and not your heart. Do you want accuracy or convenience? You can buy sports bras that have a place to snap the monitor on to. It's not like you'll be out of order or feel uncomfortable.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Polar RX300
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I like my Garmin fr70 hrm w/ chest strap. I don't burn as many calories as I used to, only because my heart has gotten stronger. <3
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Livingdeadnurse Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Where did you get your polar?
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options
    Or garmin?
  • JenniferEM2012
    JenniferEM2012 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin 410. It was a little bit more then I wanted to spend but it is fabulous. It lets you personalize it a lot for different activities. I got mine at Best Buy.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options
    I went to best buy and the guy didn't have a clue. In fact he tried to argue with me that the flex and jaw bone monitor your heart. He ate his words when I showed him my flex. Did you get it online? Or please help direct me in the right direction of where in the store was it. Thanks
  • dianesheart88
    dianesheart88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4. Got it from Amazon for under $100 bucks! Been very happy with it.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    If you want something to track your total calories for the day, a Fit Bit or Body Media would work for you. Neither tracks heart rate though but I believe a HRM is only designed to be used when doing cardio, not to be worn all day. You might want both to get the most information possible.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    My wife and I both have Polar Ft7s got them from Amazon and they work great, you will not even think about the chest strap, It is not uncomfortable. Good luck
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    The Bodymedia Core 2 (due out this fall) is supposed to have an optional hem chest strap that I think you could, in theory, wear all day for the armband to collect data. I'm not super knowledgeable, since I only have an HRM at this point, but I'm looking forward to trying the Core 2.
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have a polar with a chest strap. it s pretty basic but worth it and have everything I need. I paid about $55 on amazon for it and it has been such a good investment.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options
    If you want something to track your total calories for the day, a Fit Bit or Body Media would work for you. Neither tracks heart rate though but I believe a HRM is only designed to be used when doing cardio, not to be worn all day. You might want both to get the most information possible.

I have the fitbit flex love it. Just wish it trackd my heart rate. I have a sportline for heart rate but its crap. Have to hold the button to get heart rate and it doesn't even calculate calories.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options
    So it seems chest strap is the way to go? I looked at the polar ones on line. Where does the main unit go? Wrist? Does it clip to something?
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    So it seems chest strap is the way to go? I looked at the polar ones on line. Where does the main unit go? Wrist? Does it clip to something?

It has a chest strap for the HR and sends a signal to the wrist watch and cardio machines.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options

It has a chest strap for the HR and sends a signal to the wrist watch and cardio machines.

Thanks.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options
    Looks like a 100 bucks is what I am looking at. The polar ft4
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options
    Okay actually narrowed it down to the polar ft4 and ft 7. Anyone know the big difference?