HRM

Which HRM should I purchase? There are so many to choose from and the product reviews are not helping much. Thanks

Replies

• Danimal718
    Danimal718 Posts: 90 Member
    I'm sure someone will recommend a specific one but really it depends on your needs. I really recommend Garmin because it has GPS and HRM but if you don't need to track distance or anything then I would recommend Polar.
  • farniente8
    farniente8 Posts: 30 Member
    I love my Polar FT7. It's pretty simple- at least compared to some of the ones I've read about on here. I use it because I work out at home a lot (Just Dance for the Wii and 30 Day Shred DVDs). It tracks time, heart rate and calories burned. You do get to input user data (such as gender, weight and age) which is supposed to make it more accurate. I'm really glad that I bought it as it keeps me motivated- I want to see better numbers so I try harder! As the other person said everyone is different, but this has really worked for me. Good Luck!~
  • ddpiel
    ddpiel Posts: 52
    I also exercise mainly indoors. I have heard good things about the Polar but on the product reviews I read that it's not very accurate on calories burned. Do you find yours to be accurate?
  • Yeah, polar is a really good brand. I've got one by SIGMA that I got on sale at theclimb.com a few months back and it's been great.

Just whatever you do, DON'T get one without a chest strap.
  • Danimal718
    Danimal718 Posts: 90 Member
    I love my Polar FT7. It's pretty simple- at least compared to some of the ones I've read about on here. I use it because I work out at home a lot (Just Dance for the Wii and 30 Day Shred DVDs). It tracks time, heart rate and calories burned. You do get to input user data (such as gender, weight and age) which is supposed to make it more accurate. I'm really glad that I bought it as it keeps me motivated- I want to see better numbers so I try harder! As the other person said everyone is different, but this has really worked for me. Good Luck!~

Getting one that let's you input your stats is definitely one that you want to look at if you're looking for something accurate.
  • I also exercise mainly indoors. I have heard good things about the Polar but on the product reviews I read that it's not very accurate on calories burned. Do you find yours to be accurate?

Any hrm that tries to tell you this is using the same fuzzy math that all the fitness websites do (including mfp). For the most accurate cal burn you'll want a bodymedia or something like that, but you'll find just doing the math here at mfp is generally accurate enough.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    I have the TomTom Multisport and it's great. For indoors running/walking it has a treadmill mode that measures your steps (and thus distance) via arm swings, and of course your heart rate. It is waterproof (at least the watch part, i don't think the HRM band is) for swimming, and it comes with a mount for handlebars if you also bike. The GPS is very accurate as well. No complaints from me.
  • ddpiel
    ddpiel Posts: 52
    Thanks all
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    I love my Polar FT7!

Pick one that fits into your budget but ensure it has a few things...

Make sure it has a chest strap. The watch only ones are not very accurate as they only take your HR when you press the button instead of a chest strap that constantly reads it.

Make sure you can enter your age, sex, height and weight for the most accurate burn.

Most HRM will not be 100% accurate. I always take some calories away from the reading mine gives to account for my BMR. They are all an estimate but chest strap HRMs are more accurate I believe than the numbers MFP gives.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I'm sure someone will recommend a specific one but really it depends on your needs. I really recommend Garmin because it has GPS and HRM but if you don't need to track distance or anything then I would recommend Polar.

Just a note on Garmins, not every model that comes with a HRM uses the HRM to estimate calories. You have to check the specs.

A good blog on the subject
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Polar ft7..great durability, battery life and comes with chest strap
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Bump to read up on later!