Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Table Salt vs Sea Salt...

Which is better for you ?

I like the taste of sea salt much better and you can put less on food... Where as Table salt you have to PILE it on.

Replies

• chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Nutritionally they are the same, as per the Mayo Clinic (and other sources). http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sea-salt/AN01142

Taste/color wise they are different. As per the link above:
    Sea salt is produced through evaporation of ocean water or water from saltwater lakes, usually with little processing. Depending on the water source, this leaves behind certain trace minerals and elements. The minerals add flavor and color to sea salt, which also comes in a variety of coarseness levels.

Table salt is typically mined from underground salt deposits. Table salt is more heavily processed to eliminate minerals and usually contains an additive to prevent clumping. Most table salt also has added iodine, an essential nutrient that helps maintain a healthy thyroid.

By weight, sea salt and table salt contain the same amount of sodium.

Technically, all salt is sea salt (the mines are just salt that evaporated from ancient seas), although I do know what you mean by the question. I always think, though, that I want to be a smart aleck and go into a restaurant and request "land salt."
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Himilayan mined salt is best, IMHO.

Then I'd probably go for table salt before sea salt only to avoid any chance of getting toxins in my salt. I think about the junk dumped into the sea and it makes me cringe!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    salt is salt. Sodium chloride. Even if it is from the Himalayas, it is just sea salt (slightly older sea salt, but still sea salt).
  • Both contain the same amount of sodium, but one is processed and the other is not usually

Sea salt is obtained directly through the evaporation of seawater. It is usually not processed, or undergoes minimal processing, and therefore retains trace levels of minerals like magnesium, potassium, calcium and other nutrients.

Table salt, on the other hand, is mined from salt deposits and then processed to give it a fine texture so it’s easier to mix and use in recipes. Processing strips table salt of any minerals it may have contained, and additives are also usually incorporated to prevent clumping or caking
  • If you can, get iodized salt. Because our diets usually lack in fish and seafood, we tend to lack in iodine, a nice nutrient that keeps your thyroid going. So a salt supplemented in iodine is 'better'.
    But by all means, always go easy on the salt, as you know, too much of it can cause high blood pressure etc.