I need to vent about my terrible weight gain...

Options
So I have lost 14 lbs since March which is basically 5 months of consistency. I have slacked terribly this whole month. Ate terribly and drank terribly. I ended up gaining 6 lbs... Apparently my dad told me that he could tell that I gained weight... I went from 122 lbs to 128 lbs.. I got kind of upset/depressed when he told me that... Now I feel really fat. I'm afraid that since he noticed that everyone probably else does.. Secretly. I don't feel good. I need to seriously get back on track with the healthy eating. I always have the exercise down. Do you guys know how long it would take for me to lose the 6 lbs I've gained?

Replies

• donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Drink 3L water everyday. It could be just water weight.
  • jaina08
    jaina08 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    donnyelle-If I did gain water weight, would it make me look fatter? Since my dad thinks it looks like I gained weight?
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    water retention can make you look more bloated. usually 3+ lbs of weight is from water weight. and yeah, drinking more water helps you get rid of it, oddly enough.
  • jaina08
    Options
    Okay, I'm hoping that it is from water weight... But the thing is I have been eating more.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    That 6 pounds is likely to be at least some water weight. As someone else already mentioned, drink more water. If your body is well hydrated, it will flush out some of the water you're holding onto.
    If some of that 6 pounds is actual weight, the only thing you can do is make some changes to the way you're currently living. If you're already close to your goal weight, half a pound a week is realistic. But give it a couple of weeks with lots of water before you worry too much about it. And don't be too hard on yourself! Just be more mindful of what you're consuming. :smile:
  • AndyBloot
    Options
    You've lost 8 pounds in 5 months
    That seems like a good effort to me

You've had a bit of a relapse and gained 6 - but these are things we need to factor in
    This time you may go 8 months before another relapse
    And then it might only be a 4 pound gain

Doesn't matter how long it takes or if your Dad notices or doesn't notice
    you've lost 8 pounds in 5 months - well done

Next relapse, make sure you enjoy it and make the most of it
    And then get back down to business

Another thing
    Weight loss is more than how you feel about yourself or how the world sees you
    it's about your health as well
    i can guarantee you are a lot healthier than you were 5 months ago
    That is more important
  • jaina08
    Options
    That 6 pounds is likely to be at least some water weight. As someone else already mentioned, drink more water. If your body is well hydrated, it will flush out some of the water you're holding onto.
    If some of that 6 pounds is actual weight, the only thing you can do is make some changes to the way you're currently living. If you're already close to your goal weight, half a pound a week is realistic. But give it a couple of weeks with lots of water before you worry too much about it. And don't be too hard on yourself! Just be more mindful of what you're consuming. :smile:

I'm hoping it is... I am close to my goal weight. Well at least I was. My goal is 120 lbs so that means I need to lose 8 more lbs. But thanks for the help!
  • jaina08
    Options
    You've lost 8 pounds in 5 months
    That seems like a good effort to me

You've had a bit of a relapse and gained 6 - but these are things we need to factor in
    This time you may go 8 months before another relapse
    And then it might only be a 4 pound gain

Doesn't matter how long it takes or if your Dad notices or doesn't notice
    you've lost 8 pounds in 5 months - well done

Next relapse, make sure you enjoy it and make the most of it
    And then get back down to business

Another thing
    Weight loss is more than how you feel about yourself or how the world sees you
    it's about your health as well
    i can guarantee you are a lot healthier than you were 5 months ago
    That is more important

Yes, at least I didn't gain all of the weight back.... That would have really sucked and would have been a waste of hard work.... I can't wait to lose the excess 6 lbs. Thank you.
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I think you should not be freaking out about 6 pounds. I think you should not be freaking out that your Dad "noticed" the weight gain.

You might want to re-examine your attitude towards a healthy body.

You know that you can lose that 6 lbs, you know how to do it and you know you can do it. So just forgive yourself for the relapse and move on. Seriously, there are far worse things in life. Put it in perspective.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate 6lbs after a boozy weekend, or a high salt day or getting my period. It isn't the end of the world. Tell your Dad to STFU, as well. You've already lost weight successfully, just keep doing what you did.
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Part of it is normal weight fluctuations ie. sodium, water retention, and waste materials. Part of it is that you need to tell your dad to shove it and mind his own business. Just take care of yourself as you were doing before and you'll be right back on track. This is not 'terrible' weight gain.
  • lovelylela415
    lovelylela415 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I can relate to your sense of urgency. It takes work to deal with these issues mentally and physically.

Truth is, if you forgive yourself and do what you were doing before, and drink water, you will find those six lbs are gone pretty fast, as well as any of it which may have been visible to your dad. Your muscles will kill the few extra lbs with their power. So, i guess what im saying is cut yourself some slack and get back on the wagon and those 6 lbs plus a few more will go away.

Your legs look bad *kitten* in your photo btw!
  • jaina08
    Options
    Lol, yeah my dad really made me really upset.. When he told me that he could tell that I gained weight I ended up asking him if I'm starting to look fat again and he said that I might get there which even depressed me even more.
  • jaina08
    Options
    I can relate to your sense of urgency. It takes work to deal with these issues mentally and physically.

Truth is, if you forgive yourself and do what you were doing before, and drink water, you will find those six lbs are gone pretty fast, as well as any of it which may have been visible to your dad. Your muscles will kill the few extra lbs with their power. So, i guess what im saying is cut yourself some slack and get back on the wagon and those 6 lbs plus a few more will go away.

Your legs look bad *kitten* in your photo btw!

Thank you!
  • AndyBloot
    Options
    [/quote]
    Yes, at least I didn't gain all of the weight back.... That would have really sucked and would have been a waste of hard work.... I can't wait to lose the excess 6 lbs. Thank you.
    [/quote]

It would suck for sure
    But it wouldn't be a waste of hard work as all hard work helps with your resolve
    You made the first step 5 months ago, and that first step is always the hardest
    Now that you are on your way, every step back is a potential 2 steps forward