I SHOULD JUST DRINK WATER

Options
What a horrible day! I spent the whole day starving because I just could not find anything to eat. Yesterday I discovered that my goals were too high for sodium and cholesterol so I decreased them. Naturally, it turned every day's goals to red, but I was still sticking it out this morning. Ate a small breakfast, then came lunch.

OMG! for 2 hrs I viewed different things in the calorie counter that I could pick up near my job. Absolutely everything was way too high in sodium. Yes, after 3 weeks I have just figured out there is nothing outside the walls of my job for me to eat. I tried a few of my fall back favorites.... Subway Veggie Sub...Too High! Small Wendy's Chili....Too High! Captain D's Tilapia....Too High! Burger King Grilled Chicken Sandwich....WAY Too High! Completely starving and totally frustrated, I was ready to call it quits. I know I could have had a salad but I just didn't WANT one. I'm sooooooo tired of bowls of veggies.

I am limited in my choices. Ironically, most everything that is good for me, I don't eat for one reason or another. No eggs, No oatmeal, no fruit other than melon, no tomatoes, no snow peas, just to name a few that make me violently ill. Finally, I went to talk to my boss whining about not being able to eat anything because I was scared of the sodium. All 97 lbs of her was very polite, sympathetic even, as she offered me a FiberOne bar. I like those, and would normally have taken it, but I was HUNGRY!

So I asked her for a raise. She just looked at me. I explained that I needed the extra money to hire someone to cook meals for me. (Did I mention that I don't cook? Making this low sodium thing all the harder). She smiled really pretty, said "no" to the raise and reoffered the FiberOne bar. *sigh*

I don't want to give up. I'm so encouraged by everyone elses success. I'm just having one of those days it seems to hard. Can't eat, can't excercise, can't afford a gym or a trainer, can't get my hubby on board, oh whoa is me. Sorry all! Just needed to let it all out. I welcome any suggestions or feedback my MFP family may have.

Replies

• gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Is there a grocery store anywhere near you? Everything around the edge is for you. Peanut or almond butter. Fruits. Veggies. Deli's have chicken.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Girl, something has got to give. You have to eat. It's better to be over on Sodium than starving, being in a bad mood and risking a serious binge.

Also - figure out cooking. It's the best way to get everything working.

Why can't you exercise?

Your boss sounds awesome, btw :)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I"m blunt here, but not knowing how to cook is not an excuse - you don't have to be a "good cook" to provide healthy meals for yourself. I work in an office and bring lunch every day - I cook protein on Sundays to last the week - usually chicken, turkey or a vegetarian option. Nothing fancy - I'll usually just pan fry the meat in its own juices, sometimes adding a little pepper or non-sodium spices. I will pack cut-up veggies or a salad, along with the protein and usually beans - you can buy no-salt-added canned beans, which is great since they take a long time to cook at home. It doesn't require any real cooking skills to do all of that. I'll throw in some unsalted almonds for a healthy snack later, or some fruit. I'll sometimes eat some higher-sodium items like canned tuna, but I make sure and not eat too many of those in one day.

I'm almost always under 2000 mg of sodium per day, and usually under 1500. Feel free to look at my food diary - it's public.

Oh, and a bonus to bringing your own lunch - it's much cheaper than buying out, and much healther than eating nothing or packaged food like fiber one bars!
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I agree with TheKit...you can't have your cake and eat it to....

Meaning, a lot of processed things are going to be higher in sodium, so if your not going to cook your own meals most of the time your going to have to figure out some things that will work for you that will keep you around your sodium intake. How low do you have your sodium intake at? Is it at a point that only eating fruits and veggies is going to keep you under?

Good luck honey, try not to get frustrated, you can work thru this
  • precioustypeoflove
    Options
    foodnetwork.com has great recipes get in the kitchen and just try everybody is not born a chef u have to practice its not super hard and u need to eat if u send ur body into starvation mode u will never loss weight
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yeah, why can't you exercise? You do NOT need to join a gym to exercise. I agree, you must eat...eating something is way better than eating nothing at all.

btw, my hubby tried to get me to go jogging with him years ago, and I reponded by telling him to go on and that I'd start working out when I got ready. And it was true. Earlier this year when I was getting dressed and could barley button my size16 pants, I said enough is enough! I refused to go up another size. Now my husband and I go jogging 3 to 4 days a week and I am about 10lbs away from that size 8. Point is, don't let your hubby not working out stop you from achieving your goals. He will workout with you when he's ready..and, once he see's the progress your making, he's going to want to look as good as you do.

Also, don't let anybody tell you it's going to be easy, because it's not! Just believe in yourself and know that it will take some sacrifice.

Good luck and stay strong!
  • Mesmereyes
    Mesmereyes Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the all the comments. I guess I already knew this. Just needed it reenforced from others during a rough period I guess. I guess I missed stated. I actually do know how to cook, but have crammed so much into my life that for years, it just worked out to pick up something. Up at 5 for first job, kids off to school, off to second job, off and 7 pm. and in between and all around there is praise dance, practice, mime practice, choir practice, and gymnastics for the kids. Like most everyone else, too much to do, too little time. But I know I have to figure it all out. I mean, it's only my one and only life we're talking about here, right?

It's gonna take better planning. But all is not lost, tomorrow is anothe chance to get it right. Oh, and for those who asks: severe fruit allergies, dangeroudly high BP, and medical issues involving hip, foot, leg, and abdomen. Just obstacles for me to obliterate, right?! :)
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you didn't want everybody to jump on here and tell you this, but I'm going to chime in as well; you should learn to cook. You should at least learn to cook a few things, especially if you have a limited diet. Healthy cooking is surprisingly easy. It's actually the really fattening cooking that's complicated, unless you just add cream soups and cheese to everything :smile: I will admit, that yes, it may be easy for me to say that cooking is easy because I already know how to do it. However, I also know that there are UNLIMITED resources on the web to help you learn including everyone here on MFP.

It may seem like a chore, but it is probably the only thing in the world you can absolutely control if you give yourself the tools: what you put in your mouth :flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I"m blunt here, but not knowing how to cook is not an excuse - you don't have to be a "good cook" to provide healthy meals for yourself. I work in an office and bring lunch every day - I cook protein on Sundays to last the week - usually chicken, turkey or a vegetarian option. Nothing fancy - I'll usually just pan fry the meat in its own juices, sometimes adding a little pepper or non-sodium spices. I will pack cut-up veggies or a salad, along with the protein and usually beans - you can buy no-salt-added canned beans, which is great since they take a long time to cook at home. It doesn't require any real cooking skills to do all of that. I'll throw in some unsalted almonds for a healthy snack later, or some fruit. I'll sometimes eat some higher-sodium items like canned tuna, but I make sure and not eat too many of those in one day.

I'm almost always under 2000 mg of sodium per day, and usually under 1500. Feel free to look at my food diary - it's public.

Oh, and a bonus to bringing your own lunch - it's much cheaper than buying out, and much healther than eating nothing or packaged food like fiber one bars!
    Mesmereyes :noway: Did you actually take time to read Trenton's post (the quoted one above), it's tells you step by step how to make life work with a full scedule. Girl, if we all can do it, YOU can find a way as well! preplanning is the way to go!

Hope you consider making some changes soon, sounds pretty stressful to be hunting down food during work, begging the boss for a raise to hire a cook (?? for real, no way did you really do this right?) etc. etc.

Going over a bit on sodium would raise the BP far less than this stress you go through daily it would seem....time to rein it in as you're the only one that can...:wink:
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Organicville makes a great line of pasta sauces that are low calorie and low sodium. You might look for those and make some pasta to go with it.
  • Steelytop
    Steelytop Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    No one mentioned never go below 1200 calories or your body goes into starvation mode. Avoid processed foods! Avoid fast food! You're not going to die eating the sandwiches at Subway or the like. They may be high in sodium but that's not near as bad as the extra weight on your system. My wife couldn't cook at all when I met her and now she can cook very well 10 years later and I'd say she's a better cook than I am now. She experiments and pays close attention to my responses and it just works.

There's no two ways about it. One has to bring something for breakfast and something for lunch to work. Nothing outside of work will be good for you. I don't eat fast food outside of places like Subway and even those are few and far between. I think I've ate there twice in the 85 days I've been on this "new lifestyle". If you wait until you get home then you're eating all your calories at once and that's simply not good either.

It's not easy waking up one day and realizing that just about everything you've seen on tv or seen other co-workers do is simply wrong. I only drink water now. Occasionally, some iced tea. I don't miss sodas one little bit. I don't miss alcohol either. It'll be saved for special occasions if at all. I might get way too carried away with this working out thing (it's addictive once the results start coming in) and turn into a vegetarian or something. That's already the food I gravitate towards when I do go out to eat. Places like Kerby Lane Cafe, Magnolia Cafe, etc.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I understand those days and there is no cure, just rant it out. I'm celiac and some days when I am not in my town it is hard to find food I can eat. I try to bring food with me when I leave my home town. I pack lunches and bring food when I go to a friends or family home for the weekend.
    My suggestion is to find a favorite health food store and eat as much whole foods as you can. Less "processed" is naturally less sodium. The more you eat it the less you crave the processed foods. Takes time, keep at it, keep strong.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I think you are your own worst enemy in this life process; quit looking at the obstacles and look for the opportunities. You can walk for exercise; start small and build up your distance and stamina. You can sit on your sofa and do arm exercises and leg lifts; just find some way to move. You can cook, you just prefer not too. Unfortunately eating out is not a viable option for those of us concerned about our health and in weight loss mode - way too much sodium. I plan my meals in advance and pack them such that I have something to grab to take to work or to carpool with me. You obviously have a lot of food allergies, so I won't begin to suggest foods for you to eat, but you do have choices beyond fast food. My food diary is public and you are welcome to view it and look for suggestions. Take a deep breath and think about what you really want to accomplish and then make plans to make it happen. Only YOU can do that.
  • 2Bfit4ever
    Options
    First off, I think it's great that you have joined MFP. That's the first big step forward. We have ALL either been there or have done that. All of us are or have been in the same boat. These message boards are such a great source of encouragement and information.

You have to tell yourself, first and foremost I WANT THIS. Don't do it for your hubby, or your children or the world around you. Do it for you! Then make a commitment and stick with it. With your abdominal hernia, I can understand why aerobic and strenuous exercise is not the best for you at the moment. Walking does wonders. Make a commitment at a certain time each day to walk around your neighborhood. Start out slow, then each day quicken the pace and distance. You'll be amazed at how you feel.

As far as not eating - uhh uhhh!! Not good. I hate to cook, but there are soooo many fast and easy recipes out there. I'm talking 30 minutes from start to eating time. You can still have your potatoes, rice, and pastas. Just make better choices and reduced portions. You need to eat at least 5 times a day. Breakfast, mid morning snack, Lunch, mid afternoon snack then Supper. Spaced about 3-4 hours apart. Do not eat at least 3 hours before bedtime. Keep yourself hydrated. Water, water, water. If you don't like just 'plain' water, use Crystal light (it comes in more flavors than you can imagine). Going to fast foods really not recommended! (Only takes a few minutes before work to pack a turkey sandwich). You listed several foods that you cannot tolerate -- there is an enormous list of alternatives - that are less expensive -.

Come on - make the commitment! Let's get started. I won't tell you it's easy, because it's not. No quick fixes - I don't believe in them. Waste of time, energy and money. We are all here for you. Will root for you all the way.
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    i bought a low sodium cookbook, maybe you can find one. it's been my short experience that the best way to monitor your food is to cook it yourself. anything that comes prepackaged for our convenience is not low in sodium and is would have been better off cooked at home with fresh ingredients.

start small, with easy meals and make it a family thing.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Your topic is your answer.

While you shouldn't ONLY drink water; food is important. But if you drink enough water, you shouldn't have to worry too much about some of the other stuff. First, water is satiating. Second it provides a flushing of stuff from your body. More: It helps you poop, it clears your blood, it removes toxins, it keeps your skin plump and full, looking healthy and young.

I think you're probably just suffering from time management issues. All of us have very busy lives. Lots of people have food allergies. You just have to figure out what is going to work for you.

Some of your other health problems may actually heal themselves once your diet evens out a little.
  • MrsUnderwood
    Options
    I know the feeling. I work 7 days a week, and before I got married I ate out everyday, probably twice a day, which is crazy now that I know what that means, calorie-wise! I got to a point where enough was enough we just HAD to invest in the gym. We really can't afford a gym membership but we made the choice. It's more important for us to go to the gym than to eat out. And now we plan our meals for the week and grocery shop according to those meal choices.

Do the research for healthy foods that you enjoy eating. Force yourself to pack a lunch. I had to do it this morning before heading to my second job. I don't get a single day off but nobody is going to take care of my health if I don't do it for myself. You can do it. There are things I can't eat also. I can't eat eggs, garlic, broccoli/cauliflower (or any sulfuric vegetables), I don't eat pork, etc. Just gotta find something that works for you.

PS, I just ate a fibre plus bar ...YUMMY!!
  • iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have been high or very close to my sodium limit on most of my days. However, I am still losing on average two pounds per week. I have even come off my blood pressure meds.

So I would just try to keep an eye on it but skipping meals have been shown to increase cholesteral levels which isn't healthy either. So eat try to watch your sodium and if it is high try to drink more water to combat the sodium. I have even lost this past month without excercise. Not as much but still losing.

So I recommend just eat something. Dr Oz has a recommended sodium limit for foods, I forget what it is but I am sure you can look it up.

Good luck.
  • iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I ao dont have a trainer, and can't afford a gym, even at 20.00 per month. I rented a DVD from the library called Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds. Actually it was her book, and in it came a dvd with a 15min walk which is one mile of power walking.

I have fibromyalgia and CMP which makes it very painful and difficult to walk more than a block. I have been able to do this, I think because it is walking in place and low impact. I also do wii fit for stretching and yoga. I had to stop the walking dvd for a bit but am going back to it. With limitations on what I can do physically the litte bit that i do has helped me.

This may be something you can do, the library is free!!! There are also some downloads you can view on youtube for excercise videos. :) Hope this helps.Just saw the post about your hernia. You could stil do her video just a slower pace, not power walking.
  • lsiberian
    Options
    Hitting the sodium count is very hard to do, and it shouldn't consume you this much. Stress will do far worse things to you than a little extra salt.