UK Car Ins. for 17yr olds??????

Options
Kimjanebrooks
Kimjanebrooks Posts: 253 Member
Does anyone know how or where I can get car insurance for my 17 year old son when he passes his test? It doesn't seem to matter what car he gets, the insurances range from £3,000 to £8,000 per year??!!!!!!
The car he is interested in is a Toyota Yaris 1.3l engine. One company would do it on a provisional licence for £999.00 a year, but that would go up to £6,000 once he has passed his test!

Replies

• martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    some insurance companies do the black box..where he has a tracker fitted by them in his car and it monitors his driving...if he drives carefully, within speed limit etc then his insurance goes down..of course if he doesn't it could go up as well...but you can also monitor his driving from your own pc

http://www.insurethebox.com/black-box-insurance-with-insurethebox

its called telematics...was only martin lewis money show

hope this helps a bit

martyx
  • emzmc
    emzmc Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You could try co op, think they do one for young drivers. They fit in a box in the car and it monitors the driving habits and I think they put restrictions on when you drive. Company's that fit a box are normally cheaper, but can be the same as other quotes you are getting. You could put parents on the insurance as additional drivers, that can help. If not then wait a year and the price should go down a bit on its own. Just have to keep on searching. Also there's a lot of company's that target young people so you just have google young person insurance and see what that throws up.
  • mumx5
    mumx5 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

I've just insured my 18 year ols son's first car, a Fiat Punto 1.2 and had the same problems as you getting quotes. He suggested I look at a company a lot of his mates eventually ended taking out insurance with, the Co-operative Bank. The prices are really good, especially if a parent is able to put their name on the policy too. I did this with my son and his insurance is £960 for the year - bargain! The car is also fitted with a black box which monitors how well or poorly the car is driven, which encourages good driving in youngsters! There is also cash back at the end of the year if he drives really well too. My son's friend got £250 back a couple of months back from his premium.

Here's the website address:

http://www.co-operativeinsurance.co.uk/servlet/Satellite/1228203835143,CFSweb/Page/Insurance-Car?WT.mc_id=Ins_Banner2_YDIns

HTH :)
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    No good news I'm afraid. My son is now 20 and he passed his test at 18 but it's impossible for him to have a car because the insurance is just a total rip off. We searched all the comparison sites and independants and never found anything reasonable. The lowest I found was via comparethemeerkat and that was about £2500 a year. He takes a bus and probably will until he's over 25...or wins the lottery :sad:
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I didn't actually do this because i wanted my own no claims, but i think every other one of my friends' parents got their own insurance on the car and had their sons as named drivers.
  • vikkijaye
    vikkijaye Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Try admiral. Don't forget to put it in his name and put parents as named drivers, that should bring it down a bit. If you can afford to get a car and insure now he could have a year's no claims by the time he passes his test which means lower price again. Good luck 1
  • Kimjanebrooks
    Kimjanebrooks Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Will give Co-op and their little black box a call and see how we get on. Dont know who kids manage to get insurance. So unfair. Insurance companies say that they have to pay so much because lots of people drive around with no insurance......dont blame them!!!!!! If all insurance companies cut their prices to a more acceptable sum everyone would buy insurance or near enough everyone!!
  • dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    6K for car insurance!! whats going on CRAZY.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    im afraid to say it but if he wants to drive he just has to find the money..
    insurance IS expensive! for a boy it is more... a younger boy = way more!
    "the average motor insurance premium, based on a 17-20 year-old male, is now £4,006 per year for comprehensive cover"

family friend just turned passed his test in may just turned 18 - highish risk area - has a corsa - car cost - under £1000 - 1 year no claims (got insured as soon as he turned 17) - insurance cost most quotes - £3,000.... renewal cost - £2,000 bummer eh

i got my car when i was 18 the car cost about- £3000 - im not sure how much my insurance was when i got it... but it goes down fast! i took my test when i was 19... im 23 now i have 5 years no claims i still have the same car 2000 corsa - i live in a VERY low risk area, (unfortunately post code is a big factor! it would of been over £1000 more if i had taken my car to uni!!) - no points on my license - my insurance was £350 this year... it was over £600 last year...

sometimes having parents on bring insurance down more... as long as they have no points and no claims!! having my dad put on mine put it up £22 because he had a claim in the last 5 years...

Be careful with black box!!!!!!!!!!!!!! driving at night puts it up - mileage is limited - it monitors acceleration and breaking... you need to be a good driver with no social life to benefit... i live in the middle of nowhere popping to the shop = 30+ miles for me it would be useless and my friends are all teachers and doctors if we go anywhere its at night i do a hell of a lot of night driving...and have the family trait of a rather heavy right foot.......... it definitely would not of benefited me... lol

if the price of insurance is going to be an issue maybe he should choose another car...
    generally a car thats desirable to a 17 year old male will cost more...
    x
    I didn't actually do this because i wanted my own no claims, but i think every other one of my friends' parents got their own insurance on the car and had their sons as named drivers.

there is this but be sure if he is going to be the one using the car most that he is down as the MAIN DRIVER.... a lot of people do this but dont have their child down as named driver = insurance fronting = illegal! = why insurance prices are soooo high!!
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    some insurance companies do the black box..where he has a tracker fitted by them in his car and it monitors his driving...if he drives carefully, within speed limit etc then his insurance goes down..of course if he doesn't it could go up as well...but you can also monitor his driving from your own pc

http://www.insurethebox.com/black-box-insurance-with-insurethebox

its called telematics...was only martin lewis money show

hope this helps a bit

martyx

Yep, I'm on insurethebox and my premium's gone down a lot over the past year for my 1.6 mini. I also have my brother (23yrs) on the policy too, and we live in a high risk area. The black box's pretty handy, but I hardly drive and my brother takes the car to the corner shop if he wants to :|

I used to own a Nissan Micra 1.0l and we were with Admiral before. My brother was around 18/19 when he passed his test, but we managed to get a decent quote for the insurance (around £1,200 per year if I remember correctly), but only because I was the policy holder

You could put yourself or someone older on the policy, as long as they haven't had any claims in the last 5 years, that could help him save up for his own insurance one day.

It's really tricky finding cheep car inshoorance (ahh meerkats!) for a 17yr old male, but fingers' crossed you'll be able to find a decent quote!
  • banshishi
    banshishi Posts: 197
    Options
    Bloody car insurance is outrageous .. I have trouble with insurance cost because of points on licence, if they keep putting up, more people will drive illegally and insurance will keep going up...catch 22. Between speed traps and car insurance its getting impossible to run a car legally in this country. (I do run mine legally for the record before anyone jumps to conclusions)

Sheer stupidity, how are young drivers supposed to become experienced drivers if they cant afford to gain the experience.

I use CO OP Eco insurance dunno how they fair with young drivers tho.
  • Confused_dot_com
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Will give Co-op and their little black box a call and see how we get on. Dont know who kids manage to get insurance. So unfair. Insurance companies say that they have to pay so much because lots of people drive around with no insurance......dont blame them!!!!!! If all insurance companies cut their prices to a more acceptable sum everyone would buy insurance or near enough everyone!!

If you're looking for more information on Black Box and Telematics policies, we've got some useful information all about the technology - http://www.confused.com/car-insurance/telematics-explained

We've also recently released our MotorMate app for android and iPhone if you or your son would like to try it out before committing to a black box policy. You can find out more about MotorMate here - http://www.confused.com/car-insurance/motormate

We also have a list of providers who offer telematics policies - http://www.confused.com/gooddrivers/telematics-providers

Good luck finding a policy for your son.:smile:
  • jackmartin21
    Options
    Now some companies provide the full details online of all type of situation while driving. You just need to check the resources. You can get few help from here http://blackboxinsurancereviews.com/
  • AstroRocket
    AstroRocket Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My sister in law, (she's 21 passed her test last month) Her insurance is £800 a year. Her mum is on the insurance as a driver (not the main driver though, I think that is illegal) so it was cheaper. My OH is going to do the same thing, without his mum on the insurance its £2,000 with was £600. It also makes A LOT of difference where you live and what job you have and what the car will be used for.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    We had this trouble for our kids. The only way we found to get around £1k was to do a multicar policy (I think its trough Admiral). We now insure 4 cars for that price, 2 of the drivers are under 25 (one is now 19, but was 17 when we started this), They all own their own cars, and are not named drivers on our policy... and all 4 of the policy holders get their own individual no-claims bonuses.

My 2 sons drive a Ford focus, and a Ford Ka, to give you some idea of the size/power we insure.

I know a lot of it depends on where you live, as my hubby got a quote for a car (same make/model/registration) as a work colleague whos son is the same age as ours, and passed their test the same week as ours, and our quote from the same insurance company came back more than £1k more! Robbing b@rstewards

Insurance is a legalised con.

Good luck on finding insurance
  • 03francime
    Options
    try Tesco Car Insurance, was by far the cheapest for me at like £80 a month for a Ford KA when I was 17

Good Luck !