pescetarianism

Options
I've been seriously considering becoming a pescetarian( vegatarian who eats seafood) has anyone else fone this successfully?

Replies

• spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by 'success' :) Are you a vegetarian now looking to boost nutrition, or an omnivore/meat lover who wants to try this as a healthy lifestyle approach?
  • KingNitty
    KingNitty Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Trying to have a healthier lifestyle
  • Victory_or_Death
    Victory_or_Death Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Yes.... Many people do it like that.

....check out our group "Pescetarians" under the "Groups" tab. :drinker:
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I've been seriously considering becoming a pescetarian( vegatarian who eats seafood) has anyone else fone this successfully?

I have been doing this for over 25 years. I only eat wild salmon, salt water fish, no fresh water fish, crabs, lobster etc. Giving meat and chicken was easy, sugar was really hard, but I have conquered that now.
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My mom did this, and she still is doing it. She easily lost 20 lbs without too much exercise. Fyi: She was only 30lbs overweight, 55yrs old, and 5'3..... She focused on eating healthier, and to her that was fish and she included in that eggs and chicken. No red meats. :D Hope it helps. I'm super proud of how she changed herself and she seems so much happier too!
  • KingNitty
    KingNitty Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I tried this for about 2 years. I gained about 60 lbs and developed a few major health problems. I've since lost the weight and reversed/lessened those health problems by adding meat back into my diet.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it's any 'healthier' than other diet areas but if it'll help you make healthier food choices than by all means, go right ahead.
  • Victory_or_Death
    Victory_or_Death Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I tried this for about 2 years. I gained about 60 lbs and developed a few major health problems. I've since lost the weight and reversed/lessened those health problems by adding meat back into my diet.

:laugh:
  • happyhiker83
    Options
    I am pescetarian and eat fish about 2-3 times a week. The rest of the time, I eat vegetarian. I stick to fish that are sustainable and low in mercury. My cholesterol levels are excellent. If you have problems with cholesterol, then this is the way to go.

On the other hand, I don't credit my good cholesterol just to being pescetarian. I also cook most of my meals at home, eat lots of fresh veggies and fruits, limit sweets and junk food, and am very physically active. It is definitely possible to be an unhealthy pescetarian or vegetarian.

In moderation, though, red meat can be part of a healthy diet. If you don't have any ethical reasons to give up red meat, why not just cut back your intake to 1-2 servings per week and eat more fish? I think you would see the same benefits without feeling deprived.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian doesn't instantly mean healthy.

There are plenty of "junk-food vegetarians".

Many people lose weight by going this route because they are unintentionally creating a calorie deficit by restricting some of the foods they used to eat a lot of.

I'd rather just eat a little less steak, than no steak at all.
  • ardisia32
    ardisia32 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been a pescetarian for 13 years now. It's not difficult, but I don't eat fish every day, so have to watch for a balance with other protein sources (e.g. tofu, quinoa, nuts, etc). Balance is the key no matter what you choose to eat or not eat. I was a fat pescetarian for most of those 13 years (and a fat omnivore/meat eater before that). I didn't lose weight until I started to eat less (with MFP's help) and do more (with Fitbit's help).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A pescatarian is not a vegetarian. It is a pescatarian. Vegetarians do not eat any animal flesh. Period. End of story.

As far as this being healthier, it isn't necessarily. There is nothing inherently unhealthy about eating beef, poultry and pork so long as they're part of a balanced, otherwise-healthy (overall) diet. You can be pescatarian, vegetarian or vegan and eat an unhealthy diet or a healthy diet.

If you're doing this only for health, I wouldn't bother.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian doesn't instantly mean healthy.

There are plenty of "junk-food vegetarians".

Many people lose weight by going this route because they are unintentionally creating a calorie deficit by restricting some of the foods they used to eat a lot of.

I'd rather just eat a little less steak, than no steak at all.

I must have missed the memo that said meat is bad for you!
  • aliciap412
    Options

yeah, I laugh about it too. it seemed like a great idea at the time.
  • aliciap412
    Options
    I do think it is possible to be pescetarian and healthy. but as we (should) know, diet is not a one size fits all thing, so it is not for everyone. if you can get ample protein after cutting out animal protein and subsisting on fish and legumes, then by all means, try it and see how you feel. But this diet, just like every other diet in existence, is not for everyone.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Yes I gave up meat on new years day this year. For moral not health reasons. Just after that I started with Mfp again, and my diet has become better overall as the months have passed.. I did not substitute for meat for a while, but now use tofu a lot as I was not always hitting my daily protein requirement ( I don't eat fish every meal) also I have started weight training as well so I have a stock of protein bars for after a workout. I do not miss meat at all. But be aware, I had a blood test recently and was I little anemic despite eating a lot of iron rich foods. I had a course of iron tabs, and now take them a couple of times a week. Will get a retest shortly to see how I am going.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

yeah, I laugh about it too. it seemed like a great idea at the time.
    You must have been doing it wrong. There are plenty of very healthy people who eat that diet. Adding or removing meat on its own doesn't cause health problems or weight gain unless you've replaced meat with something high in calories and haven't made up for the protein and B12, among other things.

I gave up all animal flesh five years ago and I'm perfectly healthy and it hasn't made a difference one way or the other in my weight.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I am pescetarian and eat fish about 2-3 times a week. The rest of the time, I eat vegetarian. I stick to fish that are sustainable and low in mercury. My cholesterol levels are excellent. If you have problems with cholesterol, then this is the way to go.

On the other hand, I don't credit my good cholesterol just to being pescetarian. I also cook most of my meals at home, eat lots of fresh veggies and fruits, limit sweets and junk food, and am very physically active. It is definitely possible to be an unhealthy pescetarian or vegetarian.

^ this.

And this: http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/download.aspx
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I have eaten pescetarian (vegetarian but also including seafood, eggs, and some dairy) since Thanksgiving 2012.

For me it was not a drastic switch at ALL because I normally just ate chicken once or twice a week and beef once or twice a month.

I didn't lose weight from this alone. There was no change in the scale from Nov-Mar. In March I started MFP and that's when I started to lose lb.

Health-wise I see absolutely no changes. I don't feel any different. I am getting plenty of protein from other sources. Sorry this is not very exciting lol