Strength Training w/o Equipment

Options
I was wondering if anyone had any links to some good strength training work outs that don't require a whole lot of equipment? I have resistance bands and a yoga mat. At some point I want to invest in some weights but they're so expensive. In the meantime, I do basic lunges, push-ups, crunches, yoga, etc. but I'm looking to mix things up. Any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone had any links to some good strength training work outs that don't require a whole lot of equipment? I have resistance bands and a yoga mat. At some point I want to invest in some weights but they're so expensive. In the meantime, I do basic lunges, push-ups, crunches, yoga, etc. but I'm looking to mix things up. Any advice is appreciated!
    try out a Jillian Michaels dvd she incorporates strengh with cardio. Sounds like what your doing though is great! Remember weight is weight if you dont have 'real' weights open your pantry grab some can goods 16oz is a pound!!
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of any websites, but I do recommend the Men's Health Big Book of Exercises. It's got almost 620 different exercises, stretches, diet tips and fitness routines for both men and women. There's lots of different exercises using resistance bands and body weight. My girlfriend and I both use it a lot, and we've each dropped about 30 pounds since we bought it. The tremendous variety of exercises keep our workouts from getting stale. I think it cost about $25, and it's been worth every penny!
  • I host a bootcamp fundraiser for the moms on my son's football team. Here is the weekend workout I sent to them.

COMPLETE 20 seconds OF FIRST EXERCISE, 10 seconds REST

squats w/dumbbells
    side shoulder raises
    repeat for 4sets

push ups
    basic crunch
    repeat 4 sets

front knee raises
    overhead press
    repeat 4 sets

stationary curtsy lunge
    front shoulder raise
    repeat 4 sets

seated row
    calf raises
    repeat 4sets

Plank holds
    walk the plank-start in your plank position, (beginner) begin pushing hips back toward your hips walking hands toward your knees. (int/advanced) walk hands back toward hips as you push your hips toward the ceiling keeping both legs as straight as possible and push your bodyweight toward your heels into an inverted (^) pike position. BOTH LEVELS: walk hands out to return to your starting position.