Salmon, chicken or turkey??

Options
Which do you guys prefer??

I love salmon I could literally eat it for lunch and dinner but the mercury content really puts me off. Chicken is a similar price to salmon here so I'm thinking about my main source of protein being turkey as it's the cheapest option and apparently the health benefits are great.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Not a chicken or turkey fan and would nver go out of my way for it......salmon and other sea creatures hands down.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love salmon, but I like it much better raw (like sashimi) or smoked. I prefer chicken, I guess (grilled chicken breast or dark meat).
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Salmon is the same price as chicken where you are? If that were the case here, I'd be eating salmon, like...every day.

I do love me some chicken thighs, though.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    It's all good & variety is good too, but from a strictly which has more protein for the calories...chicken has more than turkey, which has more than salmon.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Salmon is an expensive luxury over here.

I have never seen turkey meat in the supermarkets except for at Christmas.

so chicken it is! good job I love it :)
  • DaveS_63
    DaveS_63 Posts: 50
    Options
    Yes please! and don't skimp on the bacon!
  • Cyliesmom
    Cyliesmom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Salmon is the same price as chicken where you are? If that were the case here, I'd be eating salmon, like...every day.

This
  • kaymon25
    kaymon25 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

This

Haha I live in the UK and for 2 chicken breasts it is £3.50 or you can get 6 fillets of salmon for £10 so roughly the same price.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Salmon, but then I don't eat meat or poultry. Not too worried about mercury as most salmon I eat is farmed.

I literally eat salmon in some form every day whether dieting or not.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    salmon! chicken gets soooooo boring...
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey.

You can make: Tacos, burgers, meatloaf, stew, chili, meatballs, and the list goes ON!!!!!!!!!!! :love: :drinker:
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    All of them?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

I love salmon I could literally eat it for lunch and dinner but the mercury content really puts me off. Chicken is a similar price to salmon here so I'm thinking about my main source of protein being turkey as it's the cheapest option and apparently the health benefits are great.

If mercury levels are what you are worried about, then stick to farmed salmon, the mercury levels in farmed are about 3X less than wild caught.
  • DaveS_63
    DaveS_63 Posts: 50
    Options
    All of them?
    I agree with the pretty girl named Rita ^^^^^
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Chicken is the most versatile, and it's dirt cheap where I live. Turkey is generally bland and boring by comparision to chicken, unless smoked, brined, roasted with herb butter, or some other way to add flavor. Ground turkey in my opinion is just nasty, neither husband or I will eat it. (Ugh!) My own choice would be chicken first, then salmon, and turkey very seldom. None of them hold a candle to rare beef or lamb though.
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options

If mercury levels are what you are worried about, then stick to farmed salmon, the mercury levels in farmed are about 3X less than wild caught.

Except that farmed salmon are HORRIBLE for the environment and for wild salmon populations. The stocking density is usually similar to factory-farmed meat, and so require antibiotics on a large scale and the pollution is dumped straight into the ocean. Farmed salmon also has been found to have higher levels of PCBs and other toxins. Wild salmon is pretty universally considered the more sustainable choice.

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/SeafoodWatch/web/sfw_factsheet.aspx?gid=49
    http://www.albany.edu/ihe/salmonstudy/pressrelease.html
  • Emmienz
    Emmienz Posts: 29
    Options
    Salmon!! or any other seafood for that matter :) BUT ... I tend to eat more chicken as its less expensive or lean cuts of beef ...we don't see turkey in the supermarkets here at all unless its a hole turkey at xmas time ..
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Salmon. Especially sashimi. It's just delicious. And fish has omega-3s

My second choice would be turkey. I like the flavor. Thanksgiving and Christmas are my favorite times of the year because of all of the turkey.

I get burned out on chicken so quickly. But, like for many others, it's the least expensive.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

I disagree with this. I wouldn't eat farmed salmon. It is also not recommended for sustainability purposes.

This guide is very helpful for the US. I don't have one for out of country, sorry. http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/content/media/MBA_SeafoodWatch_NationalGuide.pdf
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    And specifically for salmon.

ATLANTIC SALMON

SEAFOOD RATING MARKET NAMES WHERE CAUGHT HOW CAUGHT
    Atlantic Salmon Farmed Salmon, Sake Worldwide Farmed
    Atlantic Salmon Verlasso® Chile Farmed
    Coho Salmon Sake, Silver British Columbia Wild-caught
    Coho Salmon Sake, Silver U.S. Farmed in Tank Systems
    Salmon Chinook, Coho, Chum, Keta, King, Pink, Red, Silver, Sockeye, Sake Alaska Drift Gillnet, Purse Seine, Troll
    Salmon Chinook, Coho, Chum, Keta, King, Pink, Red, Silver, Sockeye, Sake California, Oregon, Washington Drift Gillnet, Purse Seine, Troll
    Salmon Pink, Sockeye Fraser River, Washington, Reefnet
    Salmon Sockeye Fraser River (early Summer-run), Washington Reefnet
    Salmon Roe Ikura Alaska Drift Gillnet, Purse Seine, Troll

FARMED ATLANTIC SALMON
    There are many environmental problems related to farming Atlantic salmon, which means most are ranked "Avoid." However, efforts to reduce some of these environmental impacts have been successful.

Consumer Note
    The majority of salmon farmed today are Atlantic salmon. A small quantity of Pacific salmon - Chinook and coho - is also farmed. Salmon is known as sake when prepared for sushi.

Health Alert
    Environmental Defense Fund has issued a health advisory for farmed salmon due to high levels of PCBs.

Summary
    One of the biggest concerns is the amount of food required to raise farmed salmon. It generally takes three pounds of wild fish to grow one pound of farmed salmon. The environmental impact of salmon farming is still increasing as global production continues to rise.

Most salmon are farmed in open pens and cages in coastal waters. Waste from these farms is released directly into the ocean. Parasites and diseases from farmed salmon can spread to wild fish swimming near the farms and escaping farmed salmon can harm wild populations. As a result, most salmon farmed in ocean net pens get an "Avoid" ranking. However, some salmon farmers are making changes to improve their practices.

Look for wild-caught salmon, clearly labeled U.S.-farmed freshwater coho salmon or Verlasso® salmon. For now, "Avoid" most farmed Atlantic salmon.

Recipe Alternatives
    Seafood Watch recommends wild-caught salmon from Alaska, California, Oregon, Washington and British Columbia, as well as U.S. coho (silver) salmon farmed in inland tanks and Verlasso® salmon.

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org//cr/SeafoodWatch/web/sfw_factsheet.aspx?gid=49