What was your excuse before "getting serious"?

Options
dominijean
dominijean Posts: 12 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Here are a few of my excuses that I held on to for years before telling myself I really needed to get serious about getting healthy. They are all true, but just as devastating to my health:

- I don't really LOOK like I weigh what I do

- My blood pressure is normal and always has been. It will stay that way

- Good health and longevity runs in my family even though some are overweight. It's no big deal.

- It could be worse

What are some of your excuses?

Replies

• ShannaAutry
    Options
    My number 1 excuse: I don't look like I weight THIS much.

But, sometimes I'd catch a particular angle of myself and see that I DO look how much I weigh.
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I didn't have one, I was lazy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start in a couple of weeks.
  • divinenanny
    divinenanny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I used to be fat, I'm fat now (never mind the 80 pound difference) so why should I do anything, I'll always be fat.
  • annc3333
    annc3333 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That I literally could NOT control my compulsions to eat. Did not believe it was possible. Total and complete hopelessness.

The truth I finally figured out was that I just really really really didn't want to stop my compulsive eating, in spite of it almost ruining my life.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I work out everyday so I can eat what I want.. sometimes 3 hamburgers and 2 hot dogs at night.
    Have not had a hot dog in 3 years. Very rarely eat red meat anymore..
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Same as stated- I don't LOOK like I weigh 200 pounds. I always hid weight well being so tall. The fat had more room! LOL

Also
    -I have 4 kids & a job, I don't have the time
    -I'm not THAT bad, compared to my family
    -I don't have the energy
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I never really had an "excuse". I simply did not care about my weight as much as I cared about enjoying eating enough to suffer through the pain of not eating.
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Needed motivation and just never had any .Never seen my health issues as diabetes and high blood pressure being an issue because I would never think much about the long term effects. There were still clothes I looked nice in, and to be honest I have a lot of chronic pain and just had the mind set that it was easier to use it as an excuse to sit and do nothing when I am not in pain instead of exercising . I also found it easier to get take out than cook !!
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Lazy.

In fact, I'm still not sure I'm serious. If I was serious, I'd do the South Beach Diet again like I did in 2005; worked great. I tried it again last fall and it started to kick in before the holidays but then the wheels fell of because I'm lazy.

Also, SBD is harder to work into my lifestyle these days. I've been riding my bicycle a lot (76 miles this weekend, for instance), and it's hard to do that on a low-carb diet. Add to that my wife is a vegetarian now, and all those high-protein meaty meals don't work as well for only one.

MFP has the advantage of daily tracking online, an app for my phone, etc., so it's fun to play with, maybe even addictive. I'm hoping it is because I'm not sure how serious I am, although I'm still in the first week and already lost 3 lb. We'll see how long that lasts.
  • Sassyallday
    Sassyallday Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My biggest one- - -even now- - -is that I WANT TO EAT WHAT I WANT TO EAT WHEN I WANT TO EAT IT! Also, I dress nicely and get a lot of compliments for being fabulous. And I have not had any of the alarming health problems that might have shaken me into action- - -no diabetes or heart problems- - -yet!

Oddly (or not so) I feel the same way about money as I do about calories. I want to spend as many of each as I want without consequence. But maturity and the results of my lack of discipline in both areas have caused me to rethink and revise. I do know that, while the momentary pleasure of overspending or overeating is great, it never satisfies in the long term.

Gotta' put on those big girl panties and spend my calories and money in measured amounts.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Here are a few of my excuses that I held on to for years before telling myself I really needed to get serious about getting healthy. They are all true, but just as devastating to my health:

- I don't really LOOK like I weigh what I do

- My blood pressure is normal and always has been. It will stay that way

- Good health and longevity runs in my family even though some are overweight. It's no big deal.

- It could be worse

What are some of your excuses?

Hmmmmm......
    These 'were' some excuses:

I'm not 'that' fat...at 80-90 lbs overweight!
    I'm only in my 20s...I'll get serious when I'm older.
    I'm too tired...I never get 8 hrs sleep on weekdays.

Glad I overcame my excuses!! You too! =))
  • PaulHalicki
    Options
    -I'm not THAT bad, compared to my family
    This is huge. I think a lot of people fall for this one.

I get the sense that if I weighed as much as some of the people in my family, I would just get a heart attack and die. It works for them, but I don't think it would work for me. (Of course, over the long haul it won't work for them as they get older.)
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Reason 1- I've had kids. It's normal. I'll never get my body back anyway.

Reason 2- I'm way too busy to exercise.

Reason 3- I'll get around to taking care of me later, my kids need me now. (At every minute of the day- sad to say- no, they don't! lol)
  • Myeisha522
    Options
    I'll just wait til I finish the food currently in the fridge, and then I'll go buy healthy stuff. SMH
  • PaulHalicki
    Options
    I'm too tired...I never get 8 hrs sleep on weekdays.

Granted, I'm a little older, but I find if I get 5 hours of GOOD sleep at night, I'm good to go. The best way for me to get good sleep is to exercise in the evening so my body is physically tired. I got back from my bike ride at about 10:30 last night. I diddled around on the computer for another hour or so when I got home, to cool off, then when I went to bed BAM until the alarm went off this morning.
  • iDuchaine
    iDuchaine Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'll just keep living/gaining weight until I'm REALLY big, and then it'll be even more impressive when I lose it all.

*palmface*

Mind you, I was 17 so I didn't really know how much WORK it was going to be!

SW1 201 (Jan 2009)
    Maintanence 1: 150-160 Sept 2009-May 2013
    SW2 160
    CW 145
    GW 125
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'll start on Monday

I'll start next Monday

I'll start the first Monday back from holiday
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Meh... sometimes weight loss just isn't a priority... nor should it be.

I was healthy enough and was busy for a couple of years after my son was born - busy grieving the sudden loss of my husband and helping my then 4 year old with his grief over the loss of his dad. Then I eventually quit my job, remarried and moved my 2 kids to a new town... so I took some time before losing the weight after baby #2.

Once life settled down I was ready to go for it. No excuses... just life.
  • sriley7682
    sriley7682 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    That I didn't look THAT bad.
    That I would just gain it all back.
    That it would be too difficult.
    That it would be pointless because I've never known anything other than being fat.
This discussion has been closed.