Getting Started

Options
So I got started around mid June, at 410 lbs, weighed in at doctors office at 388 on August 15

What I have been doing thus far is walking on the treadmill (With as much incline as I can to have HR between 140-160)
For as long as I can, for as much as I can handle

Wife has been working out too, and we have done what we could, to get rid of the most calorically dense food in the house most notably we have given up most packaged snacks, ramen noodles, and box macaroni

Replaced those with more fruit and vegetables (used to be none, have no idea how we never got scurvy or something)

Added lots of other healthy things taken etc

Been reading more and more about net calories and it's kind of gotten me freaked out,

I don't really want to count calories, I figure that can start if I slow down on losing weight, but hitting the gym daily on the treadmill, and lifting weights can I just kind of do that and try and eat better and use my body to tell me if I need to eat more?

Replies

• TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    The good news is no one can make you do anything. Counting calories can be essential to you learning your new lifestyle though.

So, good luck
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So I got started around mid June, at 410 lbs, weighed in at doctors office at 388 on August 15

What I have been doing thus far is walking on the treadmill (With as much incline as I can to have HR between 140-160)
    For as long as I can, for as much as I can handle

Wife has been working out too, and we have done what we could, to get rid of the most calorically dense food in the house most notably we have given up most packaged snacks, ramen noodles, and box macaroni

Replaced those with more fruit and vegetables (used to be none, have no idea how we never got scurvy or something)

Added lots of other healthy things taken etc

Been reading more and more about net calories and it's kind of gotten me freaked out,

I don't really want to count calories, I figure that can start if I slow down on losing weight, but hitting the gym daily on the treadmill, and lifting weights can I just kind of do that and try and eat better and use my body to tell me if I need to eat more?

You've come on a calorie counting website to say you don't want to count calories?! Ok......
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Eastern_Echo23 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is a good way to start. I do it more as a way to see what areas I can improve on... (I.e. what I ate in a day).... There are days where i go over and still lose weight at the end of the week and there are days where i eat under and feel fine. So ultimately your body is the main influence on when and what you should be eating. The danger of not counting calories is that you might forget what you ate throughout the day. It happens to all of us, like that handful of chips or candy that you ate while visiting your friends or the net total oz of pop you may have drunk while at the restaurant.. Its a good safety measure, and it is a visual representation of what your doing. So i highly recommend it... Even if your not perfect or you don't stick to the limit.. its better to see what your doing then not!
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    My biggest regret is taking a week to eat what I always ate and counting to see what I was consuming.
    It is eye opening.
    I do not understand how to hold myself accountable.
    For me counting calories is a major help
    Good luck to you, this can be fun!
  • Thellra
    Thellra Posts: 5
    Options
    I know I am going to need to eventually, but can't that wait until I am not seeing large weight gains, is maintaining your net calories that important? I know I am not eating what I am working out Yesterday I burned 1500 calories on the treadmill day before that 2200 my fitness pal tells me to have 2500 or so net calories, which yesterday would put me at 4700 and on top of I don't really wanna eat that much I feel fine (Feel 10x better then I did before I started) so I guess I should have phrased it better

If you are feeling great, have tons of energy etc, are negative net calories or below normal ones okay?
  • Thellra
    Options
    Before I started caring I did some calorie counting (It's really easy when everything is from fast food or from a box/package lol) and I routinely hit 4-5k on an average day
  • TyTy76
    Options
    Before I started caring I did some calorie counting (It's really easy when everything is from fast food or from a box/package lol) and I routinely hit 4-5k on an average day

So why not continue to count?

Lazy?
  • Thellra
    Options
    Very lazy, and trying to track things that aren't prepackaged is kinda bad, but I kinda get what others were saying I should give it a shot and see if I can keep on the counting
  • TyTy76
    Options
    Very lazy, and trying to track things that aren't prepackaged is kinda bad, but I kinda get what others were saying I should give it a shot and see if I can keep on the counting

You're on a calorie counting site. I have friends that have lost HUNDREDS of pounds doing it.
  • fatslayer93
    Options
    If you dont want to count calories, then here are some other options.

Pretty obvious: eat healthy. Eat clean food. Veges, fruit, complex carbs (brown rice, sweet potatoes, oats) and clean protein (not processed meat/low in saturated fat).

Continue at the gym, a good 30 min + is good :)