After my rant....

Mesmereyes
Mesmereyes Posts: 83 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
After my rant and "whoa me" session in the "I Should Just Drink Water" thread, I came across this site. It looks promising. I'm still checking it out, but wanted to share with all of you.

http://healthydiningfinder.com/

Replies

• mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Hey we all deserve a rant every now and then. Thanks for the tip.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,722 Member
    I just read your rant. :smile:

I'm not a big cook either and eat at fast food restaurants pretty much every day but mostly just get a grilled chicken salad. Yes, the sodium is outrageous but I tend to make up for that by living off no salt added cottage cheese and no salt added tuna for my protein at dinner.

Eating at these places isn't the ideal thing but I think it's workable.

Plus drink that water to flush the sodium out!
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Personally I loved your conclusion in your rant. You need a raise to hire a personal chef. I don't understand how you boss didn't dig that logic. :)
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,064 Member
    I just saw your rant.....LOL.

What is your sodium set at? I reviewed Subway last night and with proper planning, I could have a veggie sub (it's 800mg of sodium), even with 1500 - which is the recommended level for people with higher BP that would fit BUT you would have to plan your day out accordingly. You don't HAVE to spread it out over the course of the day, you can have one meal that's higher, but adjust the rest of your meals.

If one of my employees brought up a personal chef argument I probably would have pointed out that I bring home from lunch and that's cheaper than a meal at a fast food place....LOL Lunch doesn't have to be crazy to prepare. Just throw a bunch of stuff into your lunch bag before bed - it takes me 5 minutes. Lunch & snacks are generally baby carrots, something sweet (jello), leftovers and a fruit. If most of that doesn't do it for you - how do spreads work for you - you make them on the weekend. Like hummus, red pepper spread, pesto, etc. and crackers. Add in a little protein (grilled chicken or low sodium tuna) and whatever you CAN eat and go for it.

One thing I did find frustrating when looking for places to have dinner last night was that they all focus on "low fat" or "high fibre" which is great, but I'd love to find a place that offers a "low sodium" menu. The problem is that the sodium makes things taste good so they'll likely not get on the bandwagon. :(

Hope you find a routine that works for you.
  • Thanks for sharing, much appreciated!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    It was a great rant. It did what rants do. I love the raise idea.
This discussion has been closed.