California Rim Fire

Options
CaliforniaBarbie
CaliforniaBarbie Posts: 346 Member
Im not sure who here lives in California or has been watching the Rim Fire, or if you have never heard of it. But i just had to write something about it.

First:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57599999/rim-fire-udpate-massive-yosemite-fire-creating-its-own-weather-pattern/

Second: i live very very close to it, smoke fills my house every morning. and we are waiting for the evacuation call.
its over 133,980 acres, and even though the news states 7% containment my brother in law is on the fire and says the have 0-2% if they are lucky.
and todays winds are supposed to be 14-26mph all day long, heading this way.
wildfires are something that i have grown up with my whole life, but they have never seemed to really effect my life, im used to fires, but ive never been concerned with having to evacuate my home. never! yesterday i looked up the 20 largest wild fires in California history based on acres and the Rim Fire has already surpassed about 7 fires, and not too far from getting the #12 slot on the list. its really never racking

Rim-Fire-August-21-2013-Photo-by-Robert-Martinez.jpg
Map-of-Rim-fire-at-9-m-PDT-August-24-2013.jpg
Map of the Rim fire. The red line was the perimeter at 9 p.m. August 24. The pink line was the perimeter at 1 a.m. August 24 . The boundary of Yosemite National Park is shown in green.
Rim-Fire-August-22-2013-Photo-by-Paul-Clark.jpg
Rim Fire, as seen from 38,000 feet. August 22, 2013
Rim-Fire-InciWeb-Photo.jpeg
Rim-Fire-August-21-Photo-by-Robert-Martinez-.jpg
Rim-Fire-moved-past-the-ICP-August-21-2013-Photo-by-Robert-Martinez.jpg
Rim-Fire-InciWeb-photo.jpg
Hope the photos work

Replies

• 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    This breaks my heart. I grew up in the East Bay but spent a lot of my childhood in Yosemite, Twain Harte, Tuolumne, and Sonora.

I hear and read the news and want to cry. I'm praying for you all. And I'm praying for the places of my childhood. I hope for good weather so that this can be brought under control.
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    Options
    This breaks my heart. I grew up in the East Bay but spent a lot of my childhood in Yosemite, Twain Harte, Tuolumne, and Sonora.

I hear and read the news and want to cry. I'm praying for you all. And I'm praying for the places of my childhood. I hope for good weather so that this can be brought under control.

thank you so much, my husband just left to check on his mom, she is in twain harte and we are so worried about her, he is going to start dropping some of the dead trees around her house while she packs so things. if it hops 108 we will start packing. its already jumped 2 rivers. im so worried about my brother in law, it scares me that he is out there and we cant talk to him. yesterday we were in town and saw about 15 San Diego trucks rolling in
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The fire is amazing - I'm in Fresno now, but grew up in Arnold. My parents still live there and have been dealing with smoke and ash from this fire, but thankfully they aren't close to it. My hubby was a firefighter with the Forest Service when we first met, so I understand the anxiety over the safety of your brother-in-law.

I've been following a Facebook page where people in the area are posting photos and daily info - many of the photos are just amazing. We can see the clouds/smoke all the way down here in Fresno.

Brings back memories of being evacuated during the Old Gulch Fire just over 20 years ago when I still lived up there. Not fun. My dad had been mapping it out and realized that it could easily come our way, so we started packing two days in advance, and we were loaded and ready when the orders came to get out.

I hope you don't have to leave, but be ready if you do! Stay safe! :heart: Keep us posted when you can!
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    Options
    The fire is amazing - I'm in Fresno now, but grew up in Arnold. My parents still live there and have been dealing with smoke and ash from this fire, but thankfully they aren't close to it. My hubby was a firefighter with the Forest Service when we first met, so I understand the anxiety over the safety of your brother-in-law.

I've been following a Facebook page where people in the area are posting photos and daily info - many of the photos are just amazing. We can see the clouds/smoke all the way down here in Fresno.

Brings back memories of being evacuated during the Old Gulch Fire just over 20 years ago when I still lived up there. Not fun. My dad had been mapping it out and realized that it could easily come our way, so we started packing two days in advance, and we were loaded and ready when the orders came to get out.

I hope you don't have to leave, but be ready if you do! Stay safe! :heart: Keep us posted when you can!

we have started getting things together and figuring out just where we would go if we needed to leave. thankfully my father owns a rock quarry outside jamestown and there is nothing around there, we figured we would camp down there by the water if we needed to leave since you cant bring pets to the evacuation centers. hopefully they get it under control but they are expecting Ponderosa Hills to burn they are just trying to make sure to save twain harte and tuolumne city. they brought it 2 D10 dozers to clear fire lines but sense the winds are so bad they expect the flames to jump over what they break.
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    I keep seeing Calaveras friends posting about the winds today. :cry: Not what you guys need up there!

Do you have a travel trailer for camping? If so, the RV park at the fairgrounds in Angels Camp has spaces available, free to evacuees, and pets on a leash are welcome. They had 60 spaces available day before yesterday, not sure if they've posted anything since then, but might be worth checking if the quarry doesn't work out.

We camped at Big Meadow when we evacuated - everybody had to go up Hwy 4, no going down the hill at that point! We were glad to have our trailer, and it worked out great with our two dogs.

Some of the planes fly out from Fresno - we've had several fly over today.

Let us know how you're doing!
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    Options
    unfortunately no camp trailer :ohwell: but we may head that way to a camp ground up the hill.
    my brother was being so crazy today he wanted to go to camp 9, we were like hell no, if we get the call to evacuate or even just get prepared we wont have service to get it, how would we know? thankfully we were able to talk him out of it. sometimes he has such dumb ideas.

we saw like 3 water carriers fly over yesterday all in a row.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's blowing over here in Lone Pine the smoke is pretty strong
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    This makes me sad. Be safe!
    I can't believe pets aren't allowed - there's got to be a place people can take them! :frown:

We've been planning a trip to Yosemite for 6 months. We are supposed to be there a week from Thursday. I'm not sure we should go now.
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    So far, Yosemite has been fine - the fire is on the west side of it, and I think has only barely crossed into the park. Yosemite Valley is safe for now, and clear from the smoke, which has been blowing north. But keep an eye on it - hopefully they will get more containment on this fire soon!
  • jolene_ca
    jolene_ca Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm West of the fire, in the valley. I got some really good photos of the smoke plume a few days ago when there wasn't much wind. I'm from a firefighting family too, so I imagine it's only a matter of time before a family member gets put on a strike team. Stay safe!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    So far, Yosemite has been fine - the fire is on the west side of it, and I think has only barely crossed into the park. Yosemite Valley is safe for now, and clear from the smoke, which has been blowing north. But keep an eye on it - hopefully they will get more containment on this fire soon!

Thanks. I'm worried the air will smell like smoke and we won't want to do any hiking.
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    Yeah, hard to say - all depends on the wind. Good news is they are up to 15% containment this morning, although winds are up, so that's a concern.

http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/2226104/Rim-Fire-15-Percent-Contained-Wind-Remains-A-Concern.html?utm_source=RSS&utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=News
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    Options
    Hopefully everything gets under control and they can save most of the towns. The skys look decent today, more so then they have been looking at least. i think my brother in law went back this morning, i told him to text me if he gets a break to let us know how things really look over there.
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    :sad: I hate wild fires....
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    Options
    my brother in law just texted telling us that Duck Wall mountain just blew up in flames. my mother in law can see all the smoke. she said the winds are pushing it to the high country
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    Options
    Smoke haze at my house from the California Rim Fire

f0a39393adccb64b9887c110afd58616.jpg

7f84cfc18286808c7b3c28fc6b02ce44.jpg

08ea3479640fdccd0efb9b19539214d8.jpg

Smoke is bad again today, i wont even let the dogs outside for more then poddy time, theyre inside pits today.