Workout to lose belly fat!!!

Options
Hi all,

Take a look at this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g88xNdVpQdM

Just tried this exercise out - oooouch. It does what is says on the tin....
I only managed to do two sets, and he'e right you need to watch your back position..

I'm going to add this to my VARIOUS routine and see if there are any improvements over the next month...

I'll be interested to hear from other MFP members that give it a go and their result.....

Replies

• silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there is no way to target fat loss. You'll lose wherever you're predisposed to lose first. That said, strengthening your core is always a good idea...:) If you want to lose body fat you need to start lifting/weight training. There are a ton of threads on MFP with info.
  • pauljsaunders
    Options
    Thanks, that's interesting.

I'm not going to be able to do much lifting as back in my 20's I put my back out trying to get fit for the fire service of all things haha. which has left me with a back situation that shows its ugly head from time to time...
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a good go to for getting leaner if you can't lift weights. You could maybe incorporate that into a routine too.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Cardio and diet are the most important things for losing fat, because cardio usually burns more calories than weight lifting (and you need to be in a deficit to burn fat). But mixing in strength training helps tone and sculpt your body so it looks good when the fat starts coming off :-)
  • pauljsaunders
    Options
    Hi Hmmm2013

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

That's a great idea, there's a pool just down the road from me... I'll give it a go...
  • pauljsaunders
    Options
    Hi Astralpictures

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you... (still trying to learn how to use the site... it doesn't let you know when there's a reply, if it does I dont know how to find it...)

Thanks for the info... will it be as effective by reping with low weights?

I really cant hurt my back again... 2 weeks out of work again just wouldn't fit in..... haha
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    bump to watch later
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Cardio and diet are the most important things for losing fat, because cardio usually burns more calories than weight lifting (and you need to be in a deficit to burn fat). But mixing in strength training helps tone and sculpt your body so it looks good when the fat starts coming off :-)

Actually cardio burns cals, not fat. If you don't do strength training while in a deficit a larger % of your loss will come from lean muscle instead of fat. so with cardio only a 10lb loss you may lose 6lbs of fat a 4lb of lbm, but if you incorporated strength training a 10lb loss would more likely have 8 lbs of fat loss and only 2 lbm. So with cardio only you would lose less fat than if you did strength training (with or without cardio) assuming the same caloric deficit.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there is no way to target fat loss. You'll lose wherever you're predisposed to lose first. That said, strengthening your core is always a good idea...:) If you want to lose body fat you need to start lifting/weight training. There are a ton of threads on MFP with info.
    Strongly agree; in fact when you start hearing someone say that some exercise/food targets an area it is an indicator that their suggestions should be ignored or at least checked.
  • 55in13
    Options

Actually cardio burns cals, not fat. If you don't do strength training while in a deficit a larger % of your loss will come from lean muscle instead of fat. so with cardio only a 10lb loss you may lose 6lbs of fat a 4lb of lbm, but if you incorporated strength training a 10lb loss would more likely have 8 lbs of fat loss and only 2 lbm. So with cardio only you would lose less fat than if you did strength training (with or without cardio) assuming the same caloric deficit.
    Please quote some studies to back this up. The ones I have read do not. Both methods tend to come in around 80%. The strange thing is that so does no exercise at all, just a reduced diet.
  • Kiaser21
    Options
    You target fat in CERTAIN areas with surgery.

You lose fat more effectively in ALL areas, however, by targeting workout areas of your body with the most mass (your core).

Think of it this way, most people will have about 60% of their total body weight in their torso, including a huge part of that weight being muscle or fat that can be damaged (damaging, meaning breaking down, meaning the building of muscles later or burning of fat). You'll gain the best metabolic gain by targeting workouts to an area with plenty of muscle and fat to engage, as opposed to just working on something limited like your calves.

Strength training is CRUCIAL to fat loss, not just cardio. Damaging muscle fibers will end up burning calories throughout the entire day or so that it takes to repair it. Cardio will help with creating a calorie deficit, but strength training with make you burn more calories and increase your metabolic rate for the continued burning of calories throughout the day (or more).

A good rule of thumb for workouts: Stretch, then cardio warm up for 5 minutes, then do all your strength training/weight lifting, then cardio to finish your workout (at least 20 minutes, but more if you need to increase your daily calorie deficit).

As for diet, it really depends on your resting Basal Metabolic Rate (resting rate of calorie burn), and how active you are in the day. Try to stick to 9 parts protein, to every 4 parts good fats and 4 parts complex carbs. But above all, stay active.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Please quote some studies to back this up. The ones I have read do not. Both methods tend to come in around 80%. The strange thing is that so does no exercise at all, just a reduced diet.

I wont quote any studies just real life. I strenght train mostly....my sister does Cardio...lots n lots of cardio ick...

She is 5 ft 4 weight 129 bf% 27.6
    I am 5 ft 7 weight 171 bf% 26.4
  • physcodbzfan
    Options

That is absolutely incorrect. With cardio, you burn calories only when performing the exercise not much after wards. With lifting you're burning calories during lifting and also afterwards which is called the after burn effect. You continue to burn calories hours afters lifting.
  • 55in13
    Options

I wont quote any studies just real life. I strenght train mostly....my sister does Cardio...lots n lots of cardio ick...

She is 5 ft 4 weight 129 bf% 27.6
    I am 5 ft 7 weight 171 bf% 26.4
    What's missing is the "used to be" numbers (before losing, to know what % of loss was fat, which is what is being discussed) and the method used to determine the BF%. Those numbers are roughly equal given the margin of error of the most common BF% measurement techniques.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I think you should post your studies that show there is no difference; I bet they are in morbidly obese individuals.

The less you have to lose the more important, strength training, adequate protein, and a smaller deficit become in order to retain lbm.

As a survival mechanism the body will shed calorie hungry muscles in a prolonged caloric deficit, if it does not think it will be using them, the only way to let your body know you need them is to challenge them.
  • MsMel123
    MsMel123 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 55in13
    Options

I think you should post your studies that show there is no difference; I bet they are in morbidly obese individuals.

The less you have to lose the more important, strength training, adequate protein, and a smaller deficit become in order to retain lbm.

As a survival mechanism the body will shed calorie hungry muscles in a prolonged caloric deficit, if it does not think it will be using them, the only way to let your body know you need them is to challenge them.
    I will not bother digging them up since I am guessing you have seen them - you would win that bet. They were obese. But I have seen a lot of people make conflicting claims about which method causes more LBM loss and I never see any good data to back it up. Your last statement about survival is definitely unproven.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there is no way to target fat loss. You'll lose wherever you're predisposed to lose first.

I know - the items of clothing I was hoping would fit better on me (tight in some cases before) are now loose! Sadly, they're ones I don't have various sizes of! LOL!
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

That is absolutely incorrect. With cardio, you burn calories only when performing the exercise not much after wards. With lifting you're burning calories during lifting and also afterwards which is called the after burn effect. You continue to burn calories hours afters lifting.
    wut?