Best Women's Fitness Magazine?

Options
As the title suggests, what's a good one? I don't want diet or relationship or style advice, I just want "here's a bunch of exercises, here's the science behind them, and here's an interesting and articulate article about something in fitness that doesn't have to do with a fad, a trend, or beauty".

Or does such a thing even exist? I'm in Canada, so it would have to be available to me here.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Oxygen, though I heard somewhere they were going out of print.

FWIW, women's fitness isn't any different than men's fitness. Some mags portray it differently to sell more, but ultimate women can and should be doing the same things as men. A good magazine is one that uses the same approaches as men's magazines, but uses female models/lifters.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Shape!
  • NickeeCoco
    NickeeCoco Posts: 130
    Options

FWIW, women's fitness isn't any different than men's fitness. Some mags portray it differently to sell more, but ultimate women can and should be doing the same things as men. A good magazine is one that uses the same approaches as men's magazines, but uses female models/lifters.

I actually already checked out their site and tried to subscribe, but the page didn't work. As for the other part, yes, but it's nicer to see the kinds of bodies I can aspire to, as opposed to seeing men's bodies. I'm not going to be all oiled up with an 8 pack. ;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options
    FitnessRx for Women. Many scientific articles and a good source of knowledge.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm subscribed to Competitor, which I really enjoy, but it totally lacks the content you're getting at. I also enjoy Outside magazine, but it's definitely geared towards men and doesn't really talk about exercises and the like, just cool outdoor stories and gear recommendations.
  • NickeeCoco
    NickeeCoco Posts: 130
    Options
    FitnessRx for Women. Many scientific articles and a good source of knowledge.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Checking it out as we speak. Thank you!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Runner's World
    Women's Running
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    glad I saw this post, I recently cancelled shape and women't fitness because I was sick of lipstick and shampoo ads filling up the pages.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I always liked Muscle & Fitness Hers, but it's best to get a subscription because I don't tend to see it in stores very often.
  • threshkreen
    threshkreen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Wow, I would have given my vote to Oxygen,too. I am sorry to hear it is going out of print. I subscribed to it for years and just this years decided to let it lapse....too bad I it is going under.

I will say, if you want good advice on workouts...definitely not Shape or Self. Too much fluff. Try one of the others recommended above.
  • aablacknell
    aablacknell Posts: 856 Member
    Options

I look forward to my Oxygen mag every simple month, It is full of workouts and helpful tips for eating cleanier. I also enjoy Women's Health.
  • julies90
    julies90 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I love oxygen
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    The very best one in my opinion is Women's FitnessRX. The reason is that it's information is based on current scientific findings, not fads or opinions. There's no women working out in heels like sex objects. They're real women doing real hard stuff. Oxygen is out of business.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Things aren't changing so rapidly that you need an update once a month or the latest new exercises.