323-223= 100 lbs. lost in 1 year. (Long-with pics)

Options
The following is a post I wrote for my Facebook friends. I thought I would post it here too.

323-223= 100 lbs. lost in 1 year.

Let me start by saying that I am not writing this to brag. I am writing this because so many people have asked me “how did you do it?” I don't really know how to answer that other than saying “eat less, move more.” While that answers the question on the surface, I don't really think it answers the underlying questions of specifics that people really want to know.

I am also writing this because I read stories like this along the way and they were very inspiring to me. If I can be an inspiration to someone reading this, then that's great! I'm no expert, but if anyone reading this has questions about weight loss, please feel free to ask. Again, I'm no expert, but I'll be glad to share with you what I know and what worked for me. (Disclaimer: Everyone is different. What worked for me may not work for you.)

Ok, so here's the story... so far.
Like you’ve probably heard others say, I’ve always been pretty big. I wore “Husky” pants when I was in grade school. I wrestled at or just under heavyweight in Jr. high and I always had people telling me “someone your size should be playing football” (never did due to band/drumline but I wouldn't have been strong enough anyway.) I was about 230 lbs. when I graduated high school. Once I got into college and beyond, I just continued to get bigger until I was over 300 lbs. I never wanted to look at a scale so I didn’t know just how heavy I had gotten until I had a required physical to start my new job.

I got a new job at Mercy Hospital back in June of 2012. Throughout the orientation process, I heard a lot about the programs they offered to encourage fitness and wellness but at the time I wasn't interested. Then August rolled around and I started thinking about my birthday (my 31st birthday was August 22, 2012.) I'm not saying that I was feeling old, I don't really worry about my age, and 31 isn't old. I had noticed, though, that a guy I work with who is in his 50's was struggling to lose weight. I figured... It's going to be hard enough now, but the older I get, the harder it will be.

So, I guess that means the time is now.

On August 13, 2012, I started logging what I ate on My Fitness Pal. I think it started me out at about 2800 calories. My Fitness Pal setting up my calorie goal was really helpful because I’ve always had a mental block when it comes to goals. I never wanted to make a goal for fear that I wouldn’t achieve it. The same was true here so I decided to start with smaller goals: 1st get under 300 lbs., then 280, then 250, 230, etc. Even 100 lbs. and getting under 200 crossed my mind but I couldn’t make myself commit to it. I made a conscious decision to start slow with exercise as well – one of the best decisions I could have made. I knew from previous attempts to lose weight that if I hit it too hard at first, I would burn out and I wouldn’t go back. I started walking on the treadmill in the exercise room at the hospital and eventually added in a little running as I felt I could. At first, I could only run about 1/8 of a mile at a time.

Starting slow allowed me to continue going back. The more I went back, the more I pushed myself and the more I was able to do. Eventually I was able to run a full mile without stopping, then two, then three. Then, in March, Mercy Health was a major sponsor of the Heart Mini (for the American Heart Association) in Cincinnati so I ran my first ever 5K race. My goal for the race was to run it at an average of 10 min/mile pace (6mph.) They messed up the turn-around on the race course and I ended up running 3.8 miles...without walking... at an average pace of 9:58/mile (6.02 mph)!

About the time of the race, I had lost around 70 lbs. in 7 months just by staying under my calorie goal (set up by My Fitness Pal) and exercising. It was at this point that I started thinking that maybe, even if my weight-loss pace slowed down, I could lose 100 lbs. in a year.

For the next couple months, I did P90X. Well, kinda. I did what I could to do the program as it was intended but with work, home, a wife and 4 kids it didn’t end up that way. I was usually able to get in 4-6 days per week. After a couple months, a couple of the bands I was using snapped while I was using them (that sucked!) Not having the right equipment or motivation, I decided to stop P90X and go back to running. Don’t get me wrong, I got results from P90X. My weight-loss slowed down quite a bit but I got A LOT stronger! I forgot to take measurements, but I know I got a lot smaller too. If I had the time to commit and the right equipment I think the results would have been amazing!

I went on vacation for a week in June of 2013 and took off a week of logging my food. I thought that when I got back I would have a lot of weight to re-lose but I didn’t! I think 10 months of logging my food and exercise had finally allowed me to wrap my head around how many calories are in the food I eat and how few I actually burn off when exercising. Sorry, you can’t walk a mile and go have a large milkshake. It’s doesn’t equal out!

I hit it pretty hard through July because I really wanted to hit my goal of 100 lbs. in 1 year which was August 13th. I pushed myself a little harder, ran a little longer and farther and the weight-loss picked back up.

On August 7, 2013, I stepped on the scale and it said 222.8! 100.2 lbs. lost!

Since then, I have been staying under my calorie goal and trying to figure out what to do next for exercise. Running hasn’t really been my favorite thing to do but I can’t deny the results! I would like to do some strength training or lifting but I’m not sure yet. I’m not going to worry about a weight goal right now, I want to get stronger and maybe get some muscle definition. I just signed up to be a volunteer firefighter at my local fire department so maybe I’ll do some kind of firefighter workout. I have my annual physical next month so I’ll talk to my physician then. I guess for now I’ll just continue to eat less and move more!

Edit:
Working on the pics:

Replies

• MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your inspirational story. Amazing results!
  • cjcmrn
    cjcmrn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    wow that is awesome!! way to take control of your life!! you should be very proud of yourself.
    Too bad no pic because then I could say you've gotten hotter too. lol

Good luck with the firefighting!!!
  • matthewdavidross
    matthewdavidross Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The following is a post I wrote for my Facebook friends. I thought I would post it here too.

323-223= 100 lbs. lost in 1 year.

Let me start by saying that I am not writing this to brag. I am writing this because so many people have asked me “how did you do it?” I don't really know how to answer that other than saying “eat less, move more.” While that answers the question on the surface, I don't really think it answers the underlying questions of specifics that people really want to know.

I am also writing this because I read stories like this along the way and they were very inspiring to me. If I can be an inspiration to someone reading this, then that's great! I'm no expert, but if anyone reading this has questions about weight loss, please feel free to ask. Again, I'm no expert, but I'll be glad to share with you what I know and what worked for me. (Disclaimer: Everyone is different. What worked for me may not work for you.)

Ok, so here's the story... so far.
    Like you’ve probably heard others say, I’ve always been pretty big. I wore “Husky” pants when I was in grade school. I wrestled at or just under heavyweight in Jr. high and I always had people telling me “someone your size should be playing football” (never did due to band/drumline but I wouldn't have been strong enough anyway.) I was about 230 lbs. when I graduated high school. Once I got into college and beyond, I just continued to get bigger until I was over 300 lbs. I never wanted to look at a scale so I didn’t know just how heavy I had gotten until I had a required physical to start my new job.

I got a new job at Mercy Hospital back in June of 2012. Throughout the orientation process, I heard a lot about the programs they offered to encourage fitness and wellness but at the time I wasn't interested. Then August rolled around and I started thinking about my birthday (my 31st birthday was August 22, 2012.) I'm not saying that I was feeling old, I don't really worry about my age, and 31 isn't old. I had noticed, though, that a guy I work with who is in his 50's was struggling to lose weight. I figured... It's going to be hard enough now, but the older I get, the harder it will be.

So, I guess that means the time is now.

On August 13, 2012, I started logging what I ate on My Fitness Pal. I think it started me out at about 2800 calories. My Fitness Pal setting up my calorie goal was really helpful because I’ve always had a mental block when it comes to goals. I never wanted to make a goal for fear that I wouldn’t achieve it. The same was true here so I decided to start with smaller goals: 1st get under 300 lbs., then 280, then 250, 230, etc. Even 100 lbs. and getting under 200 crossed my mind but I couldn’t make myself commit to it. I made a conscious decision to start slow with exercise as well – one of the best decisions I could have made. I knew from previous attempts to lose weight that if I hit it too hard at first, I would burn out and I wouldn’t go back. I started walking on the treadmill in the exercise room at the hospital and eventually added in a little running as I felt I could. At first, I could only run about 1/8 of a mile at a time.

Starting slow allowed me to continue going back. The more I went back, the more I pushed myself and the more I was able to do. Eventually I was able to run a full mile without stopping, then two, then three. Then, in March, Mercy Health was a major sponsor of the Heart Mini (for the American Heart Association) in Cincinnati so I ran my first ever 5K race. My goal for the race was to run it at an average of 10 min/mile pace (6mph.) They messed up the turn-around on the race course and I ended up running 3.8 miles...without walking... at an average pace of 9:58/mile (6.02 mph)!

About the time of the race, I had lost around 70 lbs. in 7 months just by staying under my calorie goal (set up by My Fitness Pal) and exercising. It was at this point that I started thinking that maybe, even if my weight-loss pace slowed down, I could lose 100 lbs. in a year.

For the next couple months, I did P90X. Well, kinda. I did what I could to do the program as it was intended but with work, home, a wife and 4 kids it didn’t end up that way. I was usually able to get in 4-6 days per week. After a couple months, a couple of the bands I was using snapped while I was using them (that sucked!) Not having the right equipment or motivation, I decided to stop P90X and go back to running. Don’t get me wrong, I got results from P90X. My weight-loss slowed down quite a bit but I got A LOT stronger! I forgot to take measurements, but I know I got a lot smaller too. If I had the time to commit and the right equipment I think the results would have been amazing!

I went on vacation for a week in June of 2013 and took off a week of logging my food. I thought that when I got back I would have a lot of weight to re-lose but I didn’t! I think 10 months of logging my food and exercise had finally allowed me to wrap my head around how many calories are in the food I eat and how few I actually burn off when exercising. Sorry, you can’t walk a mile and go have a large milkshake. It’s doesn’t equal out!

I hit it pretty hard through July because I really wanted to hit my goal of 100 lbs. in 1 year which was August 13th. I pushed myself a little harder, ran a little longer and farther and the weight-loss picked back up.

On August 7, 2013, I stepped on the scale and it said 222.8! 100.2 lbs. lost!

Since then, I have been staying under my calorie goal and trying to figure out what to do next for exercise. Running hasn’t really been my favorite thing to do but I can’t deny the results! I would like to do some strength training or lifting but I’m not sure yet. I’m not going to worry about a weight goal right now, I want to get stronger and maybe get some muscle definition. I just signed up to be a volunteer firefighter at my local fire department so maybe I’ll do some kind of firefighter workout. I have my annual physical next month so I’ll talk to my physician then. I guess for now I’ll just continue to eat less and move more!

Here are the pics: (if they work)

Here are the pics:

Summer 2012
    sky_vbs.jpg

August 2013
    sky_vbs.jpg

Vacation 2012 – Go karts with my nephew
    longs_gocart_12.jpg

Vacation 2013 – Go karts with my nephew
    longs_gocart_13.jpg

ID Badge picture – Second day of work – June 2012
    RossMatt2012.jpg

ID Badge picture – August 2013
    RossMatt2013.jpg

First ever 5K
    heart_mini5k.jpeg

HALF-DRESSED FAT GUY PICS AHEAD!

P90X Progress
    P90X_progress_back.gif

Under 300
    297_pic.jpeg

Under 280
    278_pic.jpeg

50 lbs. Down
    273_pic1.jpeg

Under 260
    Front
    258_pic1.jpeg
    Side
    258_pic3.jpeg

Under 230
    Front
    230_pic.jpg

100 Lbs. Down!
    Front
    223.jpg
    Side
    223_side.jpg

august2013mercy.jpg

Here is my wife and me last night at a Cincinnati Reds game (She has lost some weight this year too.)
    mampm.jpg
  • matthewdavidross
    Options
    Okay, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I just completely re-uploaded and re-linked all of these and they're still not working.
  • 1meh
    1meh Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You just motivated me to keep with running Progress seems so slow, but if you can do it, I guess I should keep with it.
  • matthewdavidross
    Options
    I don't know what I did wrong with the Photobucket settings. I have added some pics to my profile if anyone wants to see them.
  • matthewdavidross
    Options
    You just motivated me to keep with running Progress seems so slow, but if you can do it, I guess I should keep with it.

Glad I could be motivation for you!

Ironically, I haven't been very motivated to run much since I hit 100 lbs.
  • yodacho
    yodacho Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Very inspirational.
  • dgbrash2
    dgbrash2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Greatly appreciate the post! You've come a LONG way! Keep it up!
  • spotteddrafter
    spotteddrafter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    GREAT JOB!

I'm just a little ways up the road from you, about midway between Dayton and Cincy.
  • HelensReady
    Options
    Wow Mat what an inspiring journey...amazing achievement and thank you soooo very much for sharing :)
    It's peoples journeys like yours that help me realise that I can do this! even though I have been over weight since I was 20yrs (my first pregnancy) and I'm 46 years now and weigh 270lbs :(
    I had cancer in 2009 and lost 60lbs :) however once I got through the surgery and now in remission ...I have gained it all back :(
    I've been back on mfp since may 2013 (3rd time lucky!) and like I said before, these journeys shared do keep me inspired and confident I CAN and WILL do this :)

So thanks again

Keep up the great work well done in your journey so far your a STAR!!!

Helen :)
  • rejordan
    rejordan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Great success!
  • nessa2BFit
    nessa2BFit Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing your story!!! i hope to hit the 100 lb lost mark this year myself... and i did it alot like you did .. starting slow my exercise of choice is the elliptical but i just started C25K...

just wanted to say how inspiring your story was!!!

congratulations on the new lifestyle...
  • marooned
    marooned Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Great job!!; the story tells it all...well done
  • Inc1961
    Inc1961 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! Inspiration from real people is really what I need! Knowing you accomplished this by pushing yourself and sticking to it shows me I can too.

You should be very proud of yourself, and you will reap the health benefits for years to come!
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You look great, good job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!