Anxiety Meds - Experience

Options
2»

Replies

• farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    As much as I hate to admit it.

Phentermine is the only thing that I've found or been prescribed that makes the waters part, yes that's what it felt like.... and allows ME to think, not the thoughts im my head to override and knock me off my concentration horse.

I currently am taking what they call ACE (Appetite Control + Energy), its some crap that they sell like Mary Kay, and say helps with weight loss. Bullcrap.
    But it does give me enough I guess of a caffiene jolt to smack the thoughts out of my head and allow me to concentrate for a few hours.

Oh what I'd give to do phentermine agian, not for the weight loss but for the parting waters. That was amazing!!!!! AMAZING!!!!!

Maybe I just need some crack. - Ok bad thing to probably say,

Thank you for all of your responses, yes this is like a cage and I just need the key. It doesn't escalate as much as it did this weekend/this morning -everyday but it's too danged often that I get this. Everyday is just the annoying thoughts that won't shut up and allow me to get **** done.

NO wonder I'm freaking tired, I'm mentally tired. I've said that a million times. I'm mentally wiped. Of all of you that mentioned your meds what about the weight loss? Did you have negative effects?
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Food is medicine.

Food is what has made my butt so big. :flowerforyou:

Ok I'm hoping you were being sarcastic, that's why my answer was. :bigsmile:

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic!

For example, things like garlic, honey and tumeric have all been linked to helping with depression.

If you eat healthy, well sourced food, it has positive effects on the body. If you eat unhealthy, processed crap, it has negative effects on the body.

A well-balanced diet can help some symptoms, however food is not the answer when symptoms are severe. In addition, a person eating "processed crap" can still have a well-balanced diet. At some point, meds and a tailored approach to therapy (unique to individual needs) is what is needed to see an improvement in symptoms. (Garlic, honey, and tumeric have nothing to do with the outcome.)

Well, I speak from personal experience, it's not just something I read and then regurgitated.

I used to be pretty much housebound at one point, paranoid about the way I looked, depressed and generally all round at an all time low. The meds I was prescribed did nothing but accelerate weight loss and leave me feeling like a zombie.

6 months of still feeling like crap, I looked to more natural remedies for depression and anxiety, and read an article on how food is medicine. (I didn't have severe weight issues then, was still overweight) and I started eating certain foods, which in turn lifted my mood, shifted my depression and made me feel all round healthier.

Perhaps it was a placebo effect? Perhaps just the idea of eating healthier made me think my anxiety/depression had lifted? Who knows. Either way, it worked for me, so I figured I would suggest certain foods. This was 6 years ago, since I put weight on, but that was through just being lazy and too comfortable with life.

Well, I am glad you are feeling better, but it was not specific foods. Many times it takes multiple tries to get the correct "cocktail" of meds and it takes time to get in the system and begin to "work" for a person. (and a correct diagnosis helps too). In addition, sometimes meds are not needed, depending on the severity of symptoms. (and different therapeutic approaches are used) Again, I am glad that you are feeling better, but food is not medicine and one personal experience can not be generalized for the entire population.

Yeah, I get that - it was only a suggestion.

Usually when there is a synthetic medicine, there is a natural counterpart. Like apples having pectin in, which helps suppress appetites. As does salmon.

Garlic and honey are near enough proven to combat flu and colds better than any kind of synthetic alternative.
  • threshkreen
    threshkreen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Anxiety is my middle name. I have OCD and ADHD. The ADHD was only recently diagnosed and the best thing that happened to me.....the ADHD meds shut up my very noisy brain. I always have called my OCD brain a noisy brain because it was always thinking, worrying, etc. Oh yes, and it is still possible to gain weight on ADHD meds...if you now eat through emotions, habit, addiction or eating disorder, an appetite surpressing side effect does not help at all!

Now, I also agree that looking at bipolar might bear some merit...my son was on lithium for a while and it made a huge difference. They took away his bipolar diagnosis and called it a "lithium affected disorder" when we changed doctors. Now, not only did the new doctor take him off the cocktail of meds the other doctor had him on, he did not agree with the bipolar diagnosis. This is one reason I think changing doctors sometimes can be a good thing. The doctor my son left lost his license to practice for treating kids and not being certified in pediatric pyschiatry and for just being the type of doctor that threw medicine at any problem. When I think of the meds my kid was on I am one, embarrassed that I let it happen and two, I consider it a miracle that he was conscious enough to get through school. In any event, my son either outgrew it or just learned to deal with it. He still takes prozac for the OCD because he still has the thought aspect of OCD which bothers him.

One thing is that a lot of people think OCD is just physical compulsions...checking, cleaning etc. it can just be racing, obsessive or objectional thoughts that will not leave your mind.

It may be good to go to a new therapist. Sometimes, since everything you describe about yourself is new to them it resonates differently and they might hit the correct problem.

Good luck! (And, yes, genetics works...unfortunately I have two kids who inheirited my OCD).
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Keep busy and distraction of any kind.
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    Anxiety is my middle name. I have OCD and ADHD. The ADHD was only recently diagnosed and the best thing that happened to me.....the ADHD meds shut up my very noisy brain. I always have called my OCD brain a noisy brain because it was always thinking, worrying, etc. Oh yes, and it is still possible to gain weight on ADHD meds...if you now eat through emotions, habit, addiction or eating disorder, an appetite surpressing side effect does not help at all!

Now, I also agree that looking at bipolar might bear some merit...my son was on lithium for a while and it made a huge difference. They took away his bipolar diagnosis and called it a "lithium affected disorder" when we changed doctors. Now, not only did the new doctor take him off the cocktail of meds the other doctor had him on, he did not agree with the bipolar diagnosis. This is one reason I think changing doctors sometimes can be a good thing. The doctor my son left lost his license to practice for treating kids and not being certified in pediatric pyschiatry and for just being the type of doctor that threw medicine at any problem. When I think of the meds my kid was on I am one, embarrassed that I let it happen and two, I consider it a miracle that he was conscious enough to get through school. In any event, my son either outgrew it or just learned to deal with it. He still takes prozac for the OCD because he still has the thought aspect of OCD which bothers him.

One thing is that a lot of people think OCD is just physical compulsions...checking, cleaning etc. it can just be racing, obsessive or objectional thoughts that will not leave your mind.

It may be good to go to a new therapist. Sometimes, since everything you describe about yourself is new to them it resonates differently and they might hit the correct problem.

Good luck! (And, yes, genetics works...unfortunately I have two kids who inheirited my OCD).

I can't imagine I have OCD, my house is a mess 90% of the time and yes it frustrates me but not enough to "fix" the problem. The only thing I'm OCD about is paying my bills on time, I've done super stupid things in order to make that happen, but that's about it.

My daughter also has anxiety of some sorts, we are still too early in it to figure out exactly what's "ticking" her.

I've considered a new therapist, but oh my god what a bucket to empty and refill. That and alot of the others aren't willing to budge on their cost.
  • jess4fun
    jess4fun Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm coming off my latest attempt at medicating anxiety and pmdd. Everything made me so meh about life. I am keeping klonopin as a rescue med for severe anxiety, so we'll see if that works. I would joke with people that I couldn't cry cuz of the meds I was on, but it was true. Love the ferris wheel and train analogies. It's hard to describe to someone who doesn't have the same issues. My anxiety spikes monthly so hopefully with diet and exercise, it will be more controllable. I joke to my self that if I lived in caveman days I would have been the perfect lookout. It feels like in out current society that our rapid fire brains just don't have an outlet.
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    Keep busy and distraction of any kind.
    Oh my lady, I've tried this, I wont' stop trying this...I try to turn my thoughts internal, and only think about me, but gosh darn it. I wish I had enough time to acomplish all the distractions I wanted to. :)
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    I'm coming off my latest attempt at medicating anxiety and pmdd. Everything made me so meh about life. I am keeping klonopin as a rescue med for severe anxiety, so we'll see if that works. I would joke with people that I couldn't cry cuz of the meds I was on, but it was true. Love the ferris wheel and train analogies. It's hard to describe to someone who doesn't have the same issues. My anxiety spikes monthly so hopefully with diet and exercise, it will be more controllable. I joke to my self that if I lived in caveman days I would have been the perfect lookout. It feels like in out current society that our rapid fire brains just don't have an outlet.

My unfortunate outlet is shutting down (which I can't do because I have to put on a normal happy face for my kids 80% of the time) and anger.
    Too many times anger just comes out. I mix it with sarcasm so that I appear "normal" or just like I'm having a bad day, but Ohhhhh I'd love to let some people have it when it's at it's peak.
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    Too much of this I blame on being a woman with all of hte freaking hormones we have, it's ridiculous, if I could remove them, ahhhh how wonderful that would be.

No more needy, crying fits over nothing, no more hating/judging other women. When they say women hate eachother because they know what the other is thinking. That person who thougth of that was brilliant, and spot on.
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's just anxiety? I have a few friends who are bipolar (varying levels), both male and female and they have the up and down mood swings quite often. When they're up they're really up, and when they're down, they're pretty much depressed.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Because this is the chit chat board...

I'm already in as much therapy as I can afford, which has helped in the past but I get to the point where my mind won't shut the *kitten* up. - No not schitz type (nothing against that, but not what I'm trying to describe)

Thoughts, I can't stop thinking about everything, I mean everything all the time nonstop, like a ferris wheel that speeds up and won't shut off. people go flying and it's not fun anymore..... then it turns physical, into crying, dry heaves, etc etc... I'm done, I'm sick of it...the bad thing is I have to explain ALL of this to a new medical doctor because mine has left the office after almost 5 years with her. FML!:grumble:

Is there anyone that is willing to share their anxiety experience and solutoins with me. I'm ready to stop talking about it with my therapist and do something.

Otherwise my life is pretty danged normal.
    I am pretty even keeled over most stresses.
    most.
    When it comes to finances, I turn into a basket case. I quite literally cannot breath when I have any kind of money problems.
    It is bad enough that I went to the ER at least once.
    Even when I bought this new Jeep, just the thought of having a car payment makes it difficult to breath.
    I did the same thing as you. All kinds of doctors and all kinds of tests.
    The end result was that I was hyperventilating.
    The problem was, they didn't know what was triggering it.
    My wife and I finally discovered it was finances.
    Anyway, I now daily drink something called "Natural Calm".
    It is a powder that I mix in with hot water and a little honey.
    It is not a cure all but, it does help.
  • Drunken_WarHero
    Options
    Workign out hard, regulalry has been my weapon for the last few years.
    Otherwise I fight my GAD one alprazolam at a time. :P
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I think first you need to have someone diagnose you, it could be environmental or organic, just the hussle and bustle of everyday life

certain medication is addictive and expensive, many ppl abuse their medications

there are medication that's not addictive, id try one of those, some ppl are honestly meant to take medication, their brains function on a different level

Something clicked in me a few years ago, and all of a sudden I stopped worrying, stopped stressing and became ZEN, I call it a true miracle

when I quit drinking and partying that's when my brain stopped over reacting.

ETA..To clarify it wasn't all of a sudden I stopped stressing, it was a combo of eating right, sleeping right, taking time out for myself, following thru w/promises id make to myself or my child, taking on less responsibility, if I felt it was too much pressure. I stopped setting myself up for failure, I was an over achiever, once I realized all the ways I could alleviate little stresses here and there and stuck w/my convictions, truly is when saying yes and no to certain situations really became my stepping stone.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with anxiety since I was young. I was the 6 year old kid in Grade One who was way too hard on herself, who would get incredibly stressed out if I was unable to do something "right" the first time - or if I was unable to finish something the way I wanted it in the time frame given. That anxious and stressed out inner child never fully left me (and really just developed into me worrying about ever little detail in my life) after being in an out of counseling through my school and outside professionals.

About a year ago I decided that I had enough with going to counselors and not feeling a major difference - I was curious and nervous but willing to take the step to try and medicate myself to deal with the stress, anxiety and depression that I had been constantly battling since I was literally 6 years old (and it blows my mind that I was like this so young too).

It may work for some people, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone unless it's an extreme case. I know lots of people using anti-anxiety and/or anti-depressants who still aren't very happy with their lives or themselves, and are too afraid to ever go off of the stuff because of withdrawals, and I don't think that's right at all. I was on meds for about 8 months (I know - not really long enough at all to see if it had made a big difference) and then because I was feeling better, I decided to just quit, cold turkey. The withdrawl symptoms were MUCH MUCH MUCH worse than the initial anxiety/depression that I was feeling before I even when on medication. After researching about medications used for "mental disorders" I immediately felt regret in using them, and what I found really frightened me - these drugs permanently alter the chemistry in your brain so you cannot function properly without them, thus the problems with withdrawals.

For myself, I don't like the idea of putting something into my body that will physically change the chemistry of my brain forever. Coming off what the scariest experience I've ever had, and I wish I never had to go through with it, and I understand now why others fear ever going off medication once they've been on it (especially when they have for many many years). If you plan on giving it a try, do LOTS of research before hand to make sure it is what you want.

That being said, since being off meds, the absolute BEST changes I've made that have greatly minimized my anxiety, stress, and depression have been the simplest you could imagine: eating healthier and being more active. I've almost entirely cut out processed foods, eat a lot more fruits and vegetables, and get outside at least for one half hour walk every day. My mood has completely changed just doing that! I was surprised at first how much even just having an actual breakfast of eggs, toast, meat, and fruit everyday versus a bowl of cereal just made me more positive and less anxious throughout my day! Learning not to focus on the little things also helped - just ask yourself "will this situation matter 5 days from now/5 weeks/5 months/5 years from now?" and the answer more than often is that it won't, so why stress! Lifestyle changes in general (not just being more active and eating better) can also help reduce anxiety, or least it has for me. Most of my stress was because of the relationships I was in - once I got out of them, things slowly got much MUCH better!

Good luck, I hope your anxiety reduces soon enough! :flowerforyou:
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    The funny thing is, the reason why I went with a therapist as opposed to anything higher is becasue I didn't want to be prescribed meds and go through what FerretBueller has described.

I just want to function. That's all I want. I want the waters to part and obviously I cannot listen to myself say stop it or distract myself. This is such a waste of energy. :sad:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    As much as I hate to admit it.

Phentermine is the only thing that I've found or been prescribed that makes the waters part, yes that's what it felt like.... and allows ME to think, not the thoughts im my head to override and knock me off my concentration horse.

I currently am taking what they call ACE (Appetite Control + Energy), its some crap that they sell like Mary Kay, and say helps with weight loss. Bullcrap.
    But it does give me enough I guess of a caffiene jolt to smack the thoughts out of my head and allow me to concentrate for a few hours.

Oh what I'd give to do phentermine agian, not for the weight loss but for the parting waters. That was amazing!!!!! AMAZING!!!!!

Maybe I just need some crack. - Ok bad thing to probably say,

Thank you for all of your responses, yes this is like a cage and I just need the key. It doesn't escalate as much as it did this weekend/this morning -everyday but it's too danged often that I get this. Everyday is just the annoying thoughts that won't shut up and allow me to get **** done.

NO wonder I'm freaking tired, I'm mentally tired. I've said that a million times. I'm mentally wiped. Of all of you that mentioned your meds what about the weight loss? Did you have negative effects?

This may sound odd....but have you been tested for ADHD or some similar diagnosis? (Perhaps OCD, as another poster mentioned). Your reaction to stimulants - as in it calms you down rather than speeds you up - suggests a brain chemistry reaction similar to those issues.

My advice would be to get to a doctor or a mental health specialist and speak to them. This could be run of the mill stress and it could be something more. BUT - spinning your wheels, wondering what's wrong, jumping from thought to thought without developing effective coping skills -

No matter what's wrong, that's only going to make things worse.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Medications are not evil if you NEED them. Yes, exercise and a good diet can help... but for some people that is not enough to regulate the issues. If your anxiety is so crippling that you can not function in daily life or is putting you into an emergency situation (breathing issues), then other therapies may be needed.

I have depression, anxiety, and OCD. Wonderful combo, let me tell you. I am also dealing with a chronic medical issue that has me in pain most days (and is not diagnosed) and now allergy issues that have been causing moderate reactions including breathing problems. Had an allergy attack last night and ended up in the ER when I could barely swallow and was wheezing. Then the anxiety kicked in and it became another level of emergency.

At times like that, it is time to look at all your options. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow to see what my next steps are. My guess are an allergist and a therapist will be 2 of the suggestions.
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    This may sound odd....but have you been tested for ADHD or some similar diagnosis? (Perhaps OCD, as another poster mentioned). Your reaction to stimulants - as in it calms you down rather than speeds you up - suggests a brain chemistry reaction similar to those issues.

wow, you just put into normal wording what I've been trying to say with the "parting waters" statement.

THANK YOU!!!! :flowerforyou: THANK YOU!
  • auhala
    auhala Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My experience with anxiety meds is that they made me more anxious. Couldn't shut my brain off to all the potential side effects and such.

I use diet, exercise and therapy to try to combat my anxiety. Stay positive!