oh why I can't give you up

Options
For some reason I can't give up McDonald's iced caramel coffee, I make sure I make room in my allotted amount of calories to get this delicious beverage when I go to work. I realized I can save over a 100 calories a day (and money) if I just give it up and make my own at work however I can't seem to give it up.

Is there anyone else has this issue?

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Nope, because I swapped. I go to Starbuck's and get skinny things. A Starbuck's Iced Caramel Macchiato is only 190 calories, and is 16 oz, vs McDonald's which is 450 calories just for the small caramel frappe.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Their skinny iced caramel macchiato. Forgot to add the skinny lol
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If you really can't deal with giving it up or going with a lower calorie'd version, I'd just make it work within your macros.
  • griffith5150
    Options
    Not referring to the McDonald's frap they actually have a regular ol' iced coffee that's actually pretty good on calories. The frap for both Starbucks and McD's are just way way to sweet for me. I usually get a medium iced coffee at McDonald's for a 180 calories. It just I know I should stop and get coffee at work but they are soooo yummy.

I really need to stop... I know I can give it up, if I can do it with soda I know I can do it with this..
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Please list the exact ingredients in McDonald's iced caramel coffee. Then tell me why you want that inside your body.

Edited to add: I just looked it up:

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 serving (22oz)

Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 70
    Calories 190

% Daily Values*
    Total Fat 8g 12%
    Saturated Fat 5g 25%

Cholesterol 30mg 10%

Sodium 115mg 5%

Total Carbohydrate 29g 10%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 29g YES THAT IS 29G OF SUGAR IN EACH CUP!

Protein 2g

I also found the ingredients:

Premium Roast Coffee. Light Cream: Milk, cream,

sodium phosphate, sodium polyphosphate, DATEM, sodium stearoyl lactylate, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, sodium hexametaphosphate, sodium citrate, carrageenan. IN OTHER WORDS A CHEMICAL COCKTAIL

CONTAINS: MILK. Vanilla Syrup (a sugar): Sugar, water, fructose (a sugar), natural (plant source) and artificial flavor, caramel color (with sulfites), potassium sorbate (preservative), citric acid, malic acid. Ice.

The reason these chemicals are in the “Light Cream” is because they cost less than real cream, and people instinctively think that real cream is bad for them because of the fat and calories. The truth is McDonald’s Iced Coffee is not a drink with simply coffee, milk, and sugar.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Noone says you have to give it up. I'm too cheap to buy (much) prepared coffee, so i usually make my own, but every once in a while i still buy my double double, or even an iced capp (they're an awesome sugar high). Main difference in making my own - i have learned that i don't need sugar :-)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I really like kouign amans. I try to fit them in once a week. I know that the sugary, buttery flakey goodness is nutritionally useless.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I will never give up my coffee (unless told to for medical reasons) but I've at least made a healthier choice. Black and no sugar. I'm so used to it now, I don't think I could ever drink it with anything else added.
    You could try just drinking half a cup (lol easier said than done right)
    Or as others have said work it into your macros.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    For me it's Dunkin Donuts French Vanilla coffee. I ended up buying a cheap single-serve coffee maker for work, bringing in Dunkin Donuts coffee grounds and making it myself. Saves me $2.11 a day! Also, have you ever tried french-press coffee? So delicious. I have a Bodum french press that I use occasionally too.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    h4E824B38
    I have some foods like this. I work them into my net calories and enjoy them, but not every day. Except frozen yogurt... I dropped Paradise Bakery cookies like a hot rock for Yogurtland Dutch Chocolate, and suddenly I'm getting enough calcium every day. :happy:

Griffith, would suggest you compare that coffee with other possible treats around the same calories, that stick with you longer and/or have more nutritional value. Once your coffee has an opportunity cost, it may be less attractive to you. But there's nothing wrong with just working it in sometimes, either.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Yes. I've had a blended coffee drink most days since February. At first, I made it at home. Then, my daughter got a job at a coffee shop and started bringing home vanilla iced cappuccinos...made with cream...and whipped cream...and chocolate sprinkles. So, yeah. I've been dedicating a *few* calories to that. It's a hard habit to break, but I give them at least partial credit for keeping me on track.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'd maybe drop it back to just a Friday morning treat, or something like that. You don't have to give it up if it fits your calories, but with a little willpower you can cut back from having one every day. Perhaps as an incentive, put aside that bit of money every morning that you don't spend on a specialty coffee and use it to fund a weightloss goal gift to yourself. Say a new pair of jeans, shoes, necklace, etc.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    If you think it's 100 calories well spent, because you enjoy it so much, and most of the rest of what you eat is nutritious food that gives your body what it needs.... then is there really a problem? Don't give it up to satisfy some abstract idea of a "perfect diet"... a good diet gives you all the nutrients your body needs, won't give you too much of anything that's bad for you in excess, and enables you to enjoy food, and life generally. If your overall diet satisfies those criteria, then drink your coffee and enjoy it. No need to give it up.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i get an unsweetened iced coffee from starbucks and add a little skim milk and 2 splendas (haters will hate--but i don't use regular sugar and i need a bit of sweetness).

that puppy is only about 30 cals.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Please list the exact ingredients in McDonald's iced caramel coffee. Then tell me why you want that inside your body.

Because it tastes good!?

tumblr_l5z1oxTvDN1qzgjfco1_500.gif
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Have you tried their sugar free vanilla iced coffee?. I just love it!!! :heart:
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options

Because it tastes good!?

tumblr_l5z1oxTvDN1qzgjfco1_500.gif

QFT
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    100 calories isn't that much. Just continue to make room for it in your day and enjoy! Unless money really is the issue, then that's a different matter. Nothing wrong with having it if it fits into your goals! NOM NOM!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Nutrition Facts

Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 70
    Calories 190

% Daily Values*
    Total Fat 8g 12%
    Saturated Fat 5g 25%

Cholesterol 30mg 10%

Sodium 115mg 5%

Dietary Fiber 0g 0%

Protein 2g

sodium phosphate, sodium polyphosphate, DATEM, sodium stearoyl lactylate, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, sodium hexametaphosphate, sodium citrate, carrageenan. IN OTHER WORDS A CHEMICAL COCKTAIL

CONTAINS: MILK. Vanilla Syrup (a sugar): Sugar, water, fructose (a sugar), natural (plant source) and artificial flavor, caramel color (with sulfites), potassium sorbate (preservative), citric acid, malic acid. Ice.

The reason these chemicals are in the “Light Cream” is because they cost less than real cream, and people instinctively think that real cream is bad for them because of the fat and calories. The truth is McDonald’s Iced Coffee is not a drink with simply coffee, milk, and sugar.

LMAO, I'm willing to bet you consume all manners of chemical cocktails every single day
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Nutrition Facts

Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 70
    Calories 190

% Daily Values*
    Total Fat 8g 12%
    Saturated Fat 5g 25%

Cholesterol 30mg 10%

Sodium 115mg 5%

Dietary Fiber 0g 0%

Protein 2g

LMAO, I'm willing to bet you consume all manners of chemical cocktails every single day

tumblr_lzjr6vrkAF1qfzv7ao1_500.gif