Elephant Legs

Options
I'm so frustrated!

I work-out 5 times a week (45 to 60 minutes of high intensity cardio or circuit training and weights 3 times a week). I have noticed a difference in my abs and arms, but my legs don't change.

I have had a huge complex about my legs since I was 12. They have no shape. I compare them to toddler or elephant legs. They go straight down...no curve whasoever. You can't even tell where my knee is. I do lunges, squats, weights, jumping...everything! Nothing changes!

I'm 30 years old and have never worn shorts, a short skirt, or a short dress. I want to do this before I'm too old to be wearing anything cute.

I don't want compliments and I don't want people telling me this is all in my head. I need some tips or something on changing my legs. Help!!!

WeightLoss-1.jpg

Replies

• JennsLosing
    Options
    i think your being to hard on yourself....we're always our own worst critics. Your legs really arent that bad at all.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    i see curves. and i'm not one to be tactfully dishonest.
  • JennsLosing
    Options
    lol and sorry i didnt give you what you wanted, i have no tips! but atleast it bumped it for you so you can get some
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't see the elephant legs.. your legs look normal to me. It could be genetics, could be running, walking, treadmill, Zumba, Pilates, treadmill and the list goes on...that you could try and see if that helps the "elephant' legs.

But as I shared, I simply don't see your legs anything other than normal legs. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but it's my honest opinion.:flowery:
  • LaPistolaSexola
    LaPistolaSexola Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    um. based on your qualifying statement to not to tell you that you look fine to me, i cannot respond.

have a good day.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Have you tried working with the resistance bands? Stand straight with the band around your ankles and then alternate swinging your legs out to the side. You might also want to try laying on your side and doing leg raises. So if you're laying on your right side you'd prop yourself up on your right elbow and then slwoing lift your right leg. It really works your inner thighs. As an FYI - there might be exercises you can do to make your thighs more shapely, but I was blessed with massive calves and there is nothing that can be done, it's genetic.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'd give anything for your legs! The look normal to me too. We as women need to learn what our own body's really look like. Some things, you just can't change. If you are fit, at a good weight, ( and it looks like you are), you need to come to terms with what YOU look like. Not what you want to look like. We can't change our genetics. Sorry, it wasn't what you wanted to hear,
    but .....
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    The best things I find are walking lunges with weight in both hands...lots of them. Squats. Burpees. And for hamstrings... lie on a mat with your legs (from the lower calves down)on a ball. Push your butt up into a bridge position and roll the ball back and forth with your heals slowly. (away from you and back towards your butt). Not sure if you get that or not. Anyways hope this helps. Look online for some great leg shaping exercises. Have fun!!
  • BigRedgw2010
    BigRedgw2010 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello Metsfn4life,
    Legs are tough. To really get the results you want you have to turn your legs workout up some more. Because I am in the USMC, I have to do a lot of running so I really have to work my legs extra hard to keep the size and definition that I want. Try this workout for a month, this is what I do when I get ready to compete for a bodybuilding contest:

3 set of squats for 30 reps for each set
    3 set of leg extension for 25 reps for each set
    3 set of leg curls for 20 reps for each set
    3 set of stiff leg dead lift for 25 reps for each set
    3 set of calf raises for 20 reps for each set.

All sets are with light weight, so really concentrate on form and pause at the peak. When doing the squats make sure you go really deep. When you're done you should feel your glutes and hamstring burning. On the stiff leg dead lifts, make sure you do not come all the way up. You want to keep a slight pressure on the hamstrings throughout the reps.

Good luck and hang in there!
  • Navallez
    Navallez Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You're my leg twin! I've never loved my legs, but I never saw them as abnormal! I too can't seem to make them shapely. I do a lot of walking, but it hasn't helped. I hope you find something that works, and try not to be so hard on yourself. Focus on what you have accomplished!
  • Metsfn4life
    Metsfn4life Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hello Metsfn4life,
    Legs are tough. To really get the results you want you have to turn your legs workout up some more. Because I am in the USMC, I have to do a lot of running so I really have to work my legs extra hard to keep the size and definition that I want. Try this workout for a month, this is what I do when I get ready to compete for a bodybuilding contest:

3 set of squats for 30 reps for each set
    3 set of leg extension for 25 reps for each set
    3 set of leg curls for 20 reps for each set
    3 set of stiff leg dead lift for 25 reps for each set
    3 set of calf raises for 20 reps for each set.

All sets are with light weight, so really concentrate on form and pause at the peak. When doing the squats make sure you go really deep. When you're done you should feel your glutes and hamstring burning. On the stiff leg dead lifts, make sure you do not come all the way up. You want to keep a slight pressure on the hamstrings throughout the reps.

Good luck and hang in there!

Thanks. I will try adding this to my routine.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • shonahore
    Options
    Go see a podiatrist, my legs are shaped the same way and when I was being fitted for orthodics my podiatrist told me it was because I had sunken arches and that wearing orthodics when I work out should help correct the shape of my legs especially giving my calves more shape.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Squats, Squats, Squats and more Squats.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    A) Not to sound like a prick, but is there fat in the areas you're concerned about or do the areas have a low fat %

B) Are you measuring. Do you know they aren't changing due to the tape measure, or is it purely "visual"?
  • hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Running/walking at an incline, biking, and doing weighted leg exercises such as lunges (forward, backward, side, and cross-over) and squats (regular, reverse, sumo) transformed my monstrous legs into shapely stems. I'm still thick (16in calves; 21in thighs), but I have muscle definition. This, however, took over a year to happen. Give yourself time!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    my legs kind of look like yours...and i don't call them elephant legs! be nicer to yourself! strength training is your friend though ;)
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think your legs look just fine..But, good old fahion running - and lots of it; outdoors, not on a treadmill - really changed the look of my legs and built a lot of definition.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I think your legs look just fine..But, good old fahion running - and lots of it; outdoors, not on a treadmill - really changed the look of my legs and built a lot of definition.

It doesn't have to be outdoors, BTW.

Need more info here, is it just being patient while your BF% drops?